PDA

View Full Version : World's Best Watering Hole

sisemen
30th Jan 2009, 04:40
What started off as a very nice thread called Dying Pubs degenerated into a smoking slanging match (would have said discussion but it's not really that)

So, let's hear it for your favourite watering hole - and why. And please don't let it deteriorate into a "My beer is better than yours" or a "I think that smoking in pubs is awful" thread. You never know you might generate a visit or two to your pub. See you there!

For starters here's a selection:

Broad Arrow Tavern near Kalgoorlie, Western Australia. A real rough-as-guts proper drinking pub designed for miners. 15,000 buggered off in about 1914 and there are 5 folks left. The beer is cold which is especially good after flogging up from Perth or Kalgoorlie in 45 degree heat. Note the mannequin sitting on the eaves!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/allan907/BroadArrowTavern.jpg

The Houblon Arms, Oasby, Lincolnshire. A small village pub sometimes frequented by cadets and staff from the RAF College at Cranwell. Friendly atmosphere with real ale. Mrs Sisemen trying out the brew!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/allan907/UK05-06-No1083.jpg

And to finish off the selection.....The White Lion at Patterdale in the Lake District. Cracking location, great for a beer after you've finished a day on Hellvellyn.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/allan907/P1310027.jpg

kluge
30th Jan 2009, 04:57
Don't have pics but here is my selection of world class drinking holes.

Why's are too personal I'm afraid - espeically when it comes to the :E ones

1. The Clansman Havelock Sth Island New Zealand
2. Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club - guess where
3. The George Borough High St London
4. Pledwick Well Inn Barnsley Road West Yorkshire, WF2 6QE
5. The Black Horse Clevedon Lane, Clapton in Gordano, Bristol, Somerset, BS20 7RH
6. Lord Nelson, 19 Kent St, The Rocks, NSW 2000, Australia
7. Speights Ale House Wanaka New Zealand
8. Fields Avenue, Angeles City, Phillipines :E
9. Amazonia's Wanchai Hong Kong :E
10. Neptunes Wanchai Hong Kong :E :E :E

merlinxx
30th Jan 2009, 06:40
My London office, the Churchill Kensington church St.:ok::ok::ok:

My Saudi office Luna 5 Apartments JED:E:E:E

MagnusP
30th Jan 2009, 10:00
Athletic Arms, Edinburgh. Also known as the Gravediggers due to its proximity to 2 cemeteries. Great traditional pub, good beer & service.

Lamb and Flag, Covent Garden. Great ales and superb doorstep sandwiches.

Hooters. Anywhere. :E

Horseshoe, Glasgow. Allegedly the longest bar in the UK.

Rather be Gardening
30th Jan 2009, 10:41
The Jolly Sailor on the riverside at Burton - friendly, good selection of beers, menu features local produce, and a great view:

http://www.jollysailorburton.co.uk/default.aspx?process=download/Files/Pictures/gallery2/_Copy_of_jollsail.jpg&width=400

And the Blackfriars Pub in London. Beautiful Arts & Crafts interior and fantastic selection of barfood, especially the steak and oyster pie!

http://www.fancyapint.com/pubpics/pic171.jpg

Foss
30th Jan 2009, 12:08
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd113/Gfwfos/dickmacsdingle.jpg

Dick Mack's in Dingle, Co Kerry.
Great place. Pretty small though, but funny. Always go there if I'm on walking or climbing holidays. If you're there in the summer it's full of Americans drinking half pints of Guinness photographing everything whispering 'Is this it?'.
Sorry, lads, but that's half the fun. The stars outside on the pavement are famous people who been there or something.
Typical line. 'Where's Dick Macks? Opposite the Church. Where's the Church? Opposite Dick Macks.'

The Lismore, Dumbarton Road, Glasgow.
Couldn't get any pics. Scottish modern folky, excellent. Clients are a mix of beardy O'Somethings who want to live in a feudal Scotland and savvy media types.
Typical line. 'Habba da habba da?' 'Aye, ok.' (Trans: Half a Heavy and half a whiskey?)
Local while I lived there.

sisemen
30th Jan 2009, 13:03
What's "fail go oti" mean? And why can't they put signs up in English? :}

Foss
30th Jan 2009, 13:29
http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/shrug2.gif How am I meant to now. Have you no Goggle in yer head.

It's 'Welcome here', 'Welcome now you're here' or 'Welcome up here' (it's on top of a hill, could be).

Any Gaelic speakers step in any time.

Desert Diner
30th Jan 2009, 17:51
I have great memories at the White Lion at Patterdale.

My favorite will be Killorans in Salthill, Co Galway. Right across the road from Galway Bay.

I hope to be there with a pint when the Volvo yatchs are racing in the bay.

Say again s l o w l y
30th Jan 2009, 18:01
My favourite and never to be beaten is the now departed Social Sailing club on Mersea Island, Essex.

Run by a large, alcoholic, lunatic Dutchman who whenever you wanted food but he couldn't be ar*ed, would just shout "Kitchens closed" and stomp off to get a pint.

It had a pole for dancing and a large beam that if you could climb it and stay up, you might get a free pint.

I never left there before 4 am and the only people happy that it closed are the doctors and bank managers.

It's still the only place I've ever been thrown into rather than out of.

BAMRA wake up
30th Jan 2009, 18:26
Perhaps not the best but definitely an absolutely basic 'watering hole' - 'The Flyer' nestling in an alley downhill of the runway at Santa Cruz in Flores, the Azores - concrete floor and walls, beer crates and old domestic furniture for seating, naked 40 watt bulb and a sawn off shop counter for a bar, painted in eau-de-nil green. Old men, sleeping dogs and a fado singer crooning in the corner. At least it was like that back in the early 1990's - wonder if it's still there.

C130 Techie
30th Jan 2009, 19:24
The Crown and Anchor in Findhorn. Great live folk music on a Sunday. Haven't been for many years though.

KDs Lounge in Campbelltown. Great atmosphere.

The Nelsons Head, St Ives, Cambs. Big Jugs every day from 5 -7.

The Pitcher and Piano on the Quayside in Newcastle whenever I am up there. Trendy bar with a great local view.

The Queen Vic, 1312 Flt, Mount Pleasant, Falkland Islands. The place to be on a Saturday night (Captive audience) Sadly no more.

Help Disco in Rio:eek: Wow!

Best beer locally is The Five Bells in Wootton Bassett.

shedhead
30th Jan 2009, 20:08
two in Birmingham, The Wellington which usually has fifteen real ales on tap every day,
Bennets hill if you want to find it and the pub which backs on to it is number two"the old joint stock" fantastic building and really good beer.both worth being in Birmingham for!

tony draper
30th Jan 2009, 20:35
Hmmm, we must be a sober lot on Prune a similar thread on another website has already reached 813 posts,
Anyway.
Tanker Joe's, in BA
Danny's Bar, Antwerp
Mad House, Curacao
The Jungle, North Shields
:rolleyes:

leonard17F
30th Jan 2009, 21:08
Probably the most famous but still greatest bar in the world.

Located in the City of Lights (my hometown !)

Address is 5 rue Daunou, hence "Sank Roo Doe Noo" as a nickname

http://www.harrys-bar.fr/
Harry's New York Bar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry%27s_New_York_Bar)

The non-smoking section used to be approx 5 sq.m. !!??

I strongly recommend the "Petrifiant" i.e. THE Petrifier...
You don't want to know what is in it. Serious heavy fuel !

Leonard
PS: And they know how to pay tribute to the brave Allied Forces' soldiers who fought in WWI and WWII

birrddog
30th Jan 2009, 21:20
Hmmm, we must be a sober lot on Prune a similar thread on another website has already reached 813 posts,
:rolleyes:

Mr D, my holding off on posting, until your prompt, is because I find it hard to narrow down the choices.

So many great watering holes, for different purposes/occasions/weather at various locals around the globe.

If I absolutely had to choose only 1, it would be The Lanesborough Library Bar in London, up until 18 months ago.

And lets not forget the list of 'beach shacks' that were awesome until they got too popular, and expanded, like The Lorelei in Isla Morada pre-Katrina.

tony draper
30th Jan 2009, 21:28
Well them pubs I mentioned will be long gone now,The Jungle had the reputation of being the roughest hardest Bar in England,of course that was then,nowadays it would be the kind of place the chavs drop their kiddies off at when they go to the rough Pub next door.
:uhoh:

1DC
30th Jan 2009, 22:03
My claim to fame is that an "old" lady of the night, resident of the Jungle, once said that i was such a lovely young boy she would, for the first time, ever let me have it for nothing. Me being rather selective in those days did a runner instead.......

Rule3
1st Feb 2009, 20:01
Do you remember the old "CAGE" bar at Lim's Rapid Creek or the Seabreeze or the Parap pub Pre Tracy?:ok:

Parapunter
1st Feb 2009, 20:12
I used to drink at the Rock Inn, Rock Street, Brighton. Sadly not what it once was. A local pub for local people. It's unremarkable to look at, unremarkable from inside & serves average beers & does terrible food.

However, it had a great crowd of regulars, rarely closed before 5am at weekends & had a manager who would get so bored on the long slow days that he would hit the breezers around 2pm, be arseholed by eight at which point we would turn up & take bets on what time he'd fall over. I won more than a few nights free boozing off that game.

Point is, we all knew each other & it was therefore a safe, fun place to be, inspite of the enormous quantites of alcohol consumed on the premises.

Random story: One of the lads had his dad (a Vicar) in for a pint, Legendary Irish manager on the bar. Half egyptian regular walks in, Legendary Irish manager looks up from paper, says: We don't serve dirty arabs in here. Half egyptian regular immediately gets the joke, spins on his heel & walks out. Bar dissolves into lauighter, Vicar (eyes on stalks) fumes: You can't say that! Oh yes he could...