PDA

View Full Version : Government Aid????????

MAXIMOL
15th Sep 2001, 15:01
I realise that it is against EU law, but hey that never stopped the French, but what to people think about the idea and the possibility of some sorte of government support for the Uk airlines such as BA and VS and others that will be massively affected as a consequence of last weks events. These coupled withe the slowdown mean that it could be curtains for many, many jobs in the industry.

Not too sure on the legality or the presedence, but hey it is not legal to fly an aircraft into a building and kill 1000's of people , but some b-----d has gone and done that. It HAS changed the world, as people are saying..Certainly for the forseable future....It is now time to adapt to cope with the aftermath of this dreadful act.
Just a thought.........any ideas or comments.

scroggs
15th Sep 2001, 23:34
It may be the only way to keep much of the industry from going under. The US has already debated (and, for now, rejected) a $15 billion rescue package for the industry. The real need is, I suspect, for loan guarantees to release cash to keep everything moving. Nothing is going to prevent the very significant loss of trade for the next 3-6 months, and capacity reductions are inevitable and urgent. But we do need to ensure that the whole international airline system doesn't collapse as a result of a terrorist act. These are unusual times, which will call for unusual action to ensure recovery.

Sir Freddy
16th Sep 2001, 01:44
Gents,

I think this may be the only way forward for us. The following link was posted on the Virgin Atlantic Crew Website:
http://www.locata.co.uk/commons

This links details your local MP and provides an email facility. If we all start emailing now, stating the case for State aid, perhaps we can persuade the government to bail us out of a major crisis.

SF

MarkD
16th Sep 2001, 04:21
Since intl' carriers were most affected, I think Brown should exempt such flights from taxes until further notice. It would be a start anyway.

[And McCreevey and the rest of the Finance boys, obviously, not just UK]

[ 16 September 2001: Message edited by: MarkD ]

Hugh Jorgen
18th Sep 2001, 03:20
Cutting tax on airfares - definately. This is a highly cynical government whose only objective is to stay in power. I think the votes/£ ratio will not be enough. Watch out for some more mosques though!!

DC Meatloaf
18th Sep 2001, 04:00
There will be a "bailout" package for US airlines, I believe, but on the order of $20-25 billion -- probably by the end of this week.

Not sure if the insurance companies are next...

northern boy
18th Sep 2001, 06:51
I would imagine that the crazy greens and Guardian readers are jumping for joy at the thought of a reduced aviation industry. Given the influence they have with our current government I wouldnt be too hopeful of any aid.

[ 18 September 2001: Message edited by: northern boy ]

yellow dust
23rd Sep 2001, 22:03
I heard one good suggestion (can't remember where), instead of a bailout, the governments could buy a couple of billion in airline travel credits which can be drawn down by future government travel. In that way they are not giving the airlines a grant, but paying in advance for tickets. The airlines get to use the money now.

StressFree
23rd Sep 2001, 22:33
Gents,
I suggest we all use the site given in Sir Freddie's post, its really easy to use and sends an e-mail straight to your MP......
I've just done it.

:cool: