PDA

View Full Version : Jobs in the NW of WA

pilotboy84
29th Jan 2009, 17:57
Hey guys,

Marko here, just a quick couple of questions as most of the advice I am getting from JT is pretty much "drive up and find out for yourself"

What are some of the operators up in the NW of WA and what are some of the things that would be beneficial to me to make myself more employable in the Aviation Industry?

I'm not going to complain about the state of the industry, but as I am getting sick of my current job (could do it from anywhere with a populous), I'm getting kind of desperate to get into the aviation industry.

I've already canvassed most of the operators in Gero, a few of the operators in Broome, and a few others as well but from the response I'm getting its kind of bleak.

As is at the moment I hold a CPL(A) both in europe and aus, a tailwheel and aero's endorsement, and around 310 hours tt. How can I get a job because like I said Im getting desperate.

Thanks in advance

capt_akun
29th Jan 2009, 19:55
The more expweience you are. The better it looks on your job prosperity. Also having the endorsement on a aircraft that the operator has will also improve your chance. But like other have said just go up and get to know the operator and show them you are keen and willing to work hard . That said three hours ia nothing to boost about and will have plenty of candidates to compete with.

Also to answer your question. Try the search function n it'll show many threads witt operators arpund . Faliling to use that. You can try for the yellow pages o

Howard Hughes
29th Jan 2009, 20:02
as most of the advice I am getting from JT is pretty much "drive up and find out for yourself"

The advice you are getting from JT is correct, those who go up get jobs, those that don't wished they had gone up!:ok:

the wizard of auz
29th Jan 2009, 21:03
you will find that with 310Hrs, it will be almost impossible to get a foot in the door. stay in your current job and try and get some hours doing joy flights or para ops or flying around with your mates. your chances will rise exponentially when you make the magic 500. :ok:

3 Holer
29th Jan 2009, 22:09
pilotboy

Junior Pilot position
S/E Day VFR. Full time
North West Australia. Small Town. Large Variety in flights.
Must be hard working, willing to learn, positive outlook, good will customers
Must be self motivated. Must be able to thrive in remote environment.
Email CV in pdf to [email protected]

9 JANUARY 2009
COMMERCIAL PILOT WANTED
Full time position. Would suit young, focused,
passionate pilot who has excellent flying skills &
is keen to learn. Tail wheel and aerobatic experience
preferred. Previous applicants need not apply, thank
you. Apply in first instance to [email protected]

Straight off the AFAP's website under "JobS"

GO FOR IT!

the wizard of auz
29th Jan 2009, 22:46
Avoid the first one. :ugh:

ROH111
30th Jan 2009, 02:51
Mate!

You're going to want to get up there and have a look around. Get your face to match the resume that you should send a week or two before heading up there.

Do your best to find work at backpackers, bars, Coles, Woolies as you go, stocking shelves and working the register can be a great way to be able to stay in town and wait for the job you want... my recommendation is Broome... with all the 210's you'll have a good chance of 'landing' a decent gig.

Good luck with it all, and safe driving, get going soon, the season is not far from starting!

the wizard of auz
30th Jan 2009, 03:17
Its forecast to be a pretty quiet season. Good luck with it. Can't see there being tourist work when noone can afford to go on holiday, but you never know.

kalavo
30th Jan 2009, 03:21
With 300TT you'll be lucky to get a reply to a resume, but if you're up there knocking on Hangar doors you've got a lot better chance - the majority of guys go up with around 200TT - those with less than 200 are very lucky to get something (insurance is usually 200 hours, it can be fixed with ICUS but its much easier when someone already has 200), those with over will generally get something if they stick around for a few weeks. C200 series time is a definite advantage as is a NVFR, but I wouldn't waste time getting it now, get in the car and get up there NOW if you want a chance of grabbing one of the jobs.

Woolies or Coles will pay the rent while trying to crack that first job, and tend to be very flexible with pilots - they've met enough of them in the past, and happy for you to take time off to go fly, just as long as you do actually work when you're on their time.

Don't sit at home wishing you'd gone up, pack the car and get up there.

the wizard of auz
30th Jan 2009, 03:24
not many people doing the 150hr course these days......... so 200 would be a fresh CPL. gotta be lucky...........really lucky.

The Green Goblin
30th Jan 2009, 04:18
Pilotboy strikes again!

***** stick to your day job mate the skies up North will be much safer for it, I don't want to see a thread on pprune talking about you spearing in, and if you do manage to get a job, listen to what you are told to do and do it, don't make your own methods up!

FRQ Charlie Bravo
30th Jan 2009, 06:58
M**** stick to your day job mate the skies up North will be much safer for it,Why the negativity? We've all had 310 hours at one time. Good luck Pilotboy.

~FRQ CB

PS Pack up the car and go go go.

DUXNUTZ
30th Jan 2009, 07:19
I had 285 when i packed the car and drove up. Times were leaner then too.

The Green Goblin
30th Jan 2009, 07:32
I'm not saying his hours are an issue, I'm eluding to a few deeper issues! If you read my post history you will find I'm an advocate of heading North! I got up there myself with a bare 150 hour CPL syllabus NVFR rating and a SEFIR rating!

Hows the spitfire *****?:p

FRQ Charlie Bravo
30th Jan 2009, 08:18
Hmmm. These are anonymous forums, I'd be angry to be referred to by name or even initials with such a small industry.:oh: I don't know (and I don't want to know) if the Spitfire comment refers to a crash/incident but allow the fellow to move on.

If a prospective employers ASKS for your professional opinion then give it, otherwise let him be vetted by an unbiased process. If he's a risk to aviation safety tell the Regulator. If he knocked your sister up ("deeper issues") slash his car tyres.

Pilotboy, grab the bull by the horns and prove yourself with some hard work and good airmanship.:ok:

FRQ CB

The Green Goblin
30th Jan 2009, 09:10
It is a small industry indeed, even smaller when every training school at JT refuses to take your money to train you for fear of a hull loss, not because you are incapable of flying but because you won't listen to instructions.

I'm surprised this fella used his ICQ name on here, yet alone his real name in life! (he was often found talking garbage to girls about being QF etc on there, he also claimed he had 500 hours on a REAL spitfire and his dads mate owned one)

the wizard of auz
30th Jan 2009, 09:17
hehe I know a guy like that. he's a Braz FO now. :ok: a little bit of exposure usually cures them.

pilotboy84
30th Jan 2009, 09:48
Please explain Green Goblin,

I've never said I had a Spitty, nor did I say garbage to girls about being in QF ??

I did say I applied for the Qantaslink traineeship on here and I have also said what day I went in on but I've never said anything other than the truth

Hull Loss ???

If you're going to continue to say crap about me on a forum, please meet up with me directly, and I will show you both my European CPL and my Australian CPL

You have no respect The Green Goblin

The Green Goblin
30th Jan 2009, 09:59
Pilotboy, we used to pretend to be birds on ICQ and wind you up, you would be running your mouth off to us talking absolute garbage. Was most entertaining at the time.

I hope for your sake if you have it (CPL) and you get a job, that you will pull your finger out, close your gob and don't do anything stupid quickly!

You are a good bloke, just be safe! I don't want to read about you in Flight Safety someday so stick to your company SOPs, accept responsibility for your actions and try and be as professional as you can.

(speaking of being professional I am being most unprofessional having this conversation with you on here)

pilotboy84
30th Jan 2009, 09:59
3 holer

already spoke to both tigermoth world and adrian at bushflight and they gave me the "positions already been filled" email.

Anyone else that can be thought of ?

Howard Hughes
30th Jan 2009, 18:45
I've already said this once on this thread, but I'll say it again.

GET UP THERE!

You won't get a job applying from your comfortable home in the city, unless you live in Darwin!:rolleyes:

pilotboy84
30th Jan 2009, 19:33
Thanks Howard.

I know that and trust me I want to, but due to current circumstances I can't leave just yet.

BAE146
30th Jan 2009, 23:02
When your "current circumstances" improve, get on your bike and get up north IN PERSON.

Sorry to tell you this but, with your experience, that's the only way you'll get a flying job.

Launchpad McQuack
31st Jan 2009, 01:31
Ditto. Concentrate on what you're doing now and when your circumstances change, go north. It's as simple as that. There's a reason everybody is telling you this....

LP

Andy05
31st Jan 2009, 02:05
good day guys
I'm about to head north west looking for that first CPL job
and was wondering what you guys have done inregards to accomodation.
Rent looks really expensive over there and I dont expect to earn a great deal on my first job. I'm happy to get a second job if I need to but just interested to know what where the experinces that some of the guys that have been there and done it. Your help is greatly appreciated.

capt_akun
1st Feb 2009, 00:50
tent.... =)

Howard Hughes
1st Feb 2009, 01:27
I know that and trust me I want to, but due to current circumstances I can't leave just yet.
Just don't wait too long! I waited ten years with the usual excuses: wife, house, cars... But once I finally made the move I had a job within a fortnight, I have never looked back since!:ok:

B747ERNG
1st Feb 2009, 09:40
the majority of guys go up with around 200TT - those with less than 200 are very lucky to get something (insurance is usually 200 hours, it can be fixed with ICUS but its much easier when someone already has 200)

Could anyone confirm that pilots with less than 200TT will be disadvantaged from getting the 1st job due to insurance? I'm doing the 150 hr course and by the time I get my CPL I'll only have around 170TT. :rolleyes:

FRQ Charlie Bravo
1st Feb 2009, 11:23
Under 200 hours it is somewhat likely that you will find it a bit harder to find work but having said that if you can sell yourself another way then it shouldn't make much difference. Also, if it's going to take you a few months to save up some cash to get another 30 hours (you mentioned 170 hours) then you'd be better off spending that time on the road looking for work (where you could easily get paid to fly 30 hours in one week).

I had 175 hours when I got my first job after only three or four weeks of looking so it didn't seem to harm me.

If you wish to dwell on the worst-case scenario consider that many companies will have a 200 hour minimum due to insurance but they can either get a dispensation (and pay a slightly higher rate for that month) or just send you on ICUS runs for a week or two (PIC will meet insurers requirements). An example would be Gippsland Aeronautics' policy for all leased GA8 Airvan pilots to have 300 TT or 20 hours on type (correct me if I'm wrong). If the employer needs a GA8 driver next week and Joe Bloggs has the time then he gets the job.

747ERNG Briefly, as you are on an approved 150 hr course I highly recommend getting all of your bells and whistles (definately NVFR and then Tailwheel, Aeros or whatever you desire) before the CPL just to save on taxes.

Good luck to all for this upcoming job hunting season. Remember it's usually FIRST IN BEST DRESSED so get current, mail out a hundred or so CVs, kiss Mummy goodbye, pack your grocery store shelf stocking gloves (for your new job at Coles or Woolies) and get up there before your mates.

FRQ CB

Green gorilla
2nd Feb 2009, 07:04
Did my GA time with Polar in Hedland they have a mixed fleet from singles to twins and turbine one of the few places that will take you on with low hours. The town is not the best but put that to your advantage as pilots are always on the move you would be in a twin before you know it.:ok:

The Green Goblin
2nd Feb 2009, 08:03
Green Gorilla, you would not have recently got a command on a Metro with a certain operator with blue tails would you?

Green gorilla
2nd Feb 2009, 11:22
Na an ex Poler pilot is in Skippers command on a metro.

The Green Goblin
2nd Feb 2009, 11:27
Thought it might have been you as you said you were an Ex Polar Pilot

B747ERNG
3rd Feb 2009, 04:20
Thanks FRQ Charlie Bravo, Green gorilla!:ok:

I have 170TT & NVFR and did most of my training in aircrafts equipped with CSU. I want to go to the north for my 1st job after I receive my CPL. What endorsement should I have to make myself more employable to the operators in the north? Someone from my flight school suggested that I should do the initial twin endorsement but I doubt it will help to get my 1st job. please comment!

cheers:O

The Green Goblin
3rd Feb 2009, 04:25
Initial twin endorsement will not help you get your first job, but will make things a lot easier for you when you step up to some multi engine flying, especially if the said company has twins and need someone to slot in. Can be difficult to find someone to give the endorsements in the northern parts on short notice, so I would head there with at least an initial multi in something like a P68/Baron/C310 (just shoot yourself if you're flying the P68 damn dreadful aeroplane)

Happy Hunting!

solowflyer
3rd Feb 2009, 04:30
I would not waste any more money on flight training. Currency is the biggest thing and being Johnny on the spot as soon as the printer spits out your licence you should be hitting the road. Get a DG if not done already.

Green gorilla
3rd Feb 2009, 05:24
Think the best time you can get would be C210 time.

The Green Goblin
3rd Feb 2009, 05:42
I only ever got an initial check ride in a 210 before I went North and got a Job at the first town I stopped at. That was back in the days when you could shake a tree and a dozen Kiwi pilots would fall out in their Jandels saying 'my turn bro'

There are lots of Airvans around now and chances are you will be flying one of them first off in the usual scenic jaunts up North, so the ole 210 time aint that much of a requirement compared to yester year.

I'd still go with an initial multi! After all you are only doing the bare minimum in a single to get on a twin doing the bare minimum to get on a multi crew turbine type operation.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
3rd Feb 2009, 12:03
True; initial multi will not get you a job but it will enable you to step up to the company twin with minimal fuss. Many operators don't like their charter aircraft (think Baron or C310) doing asymetrics for risk of engine damage or for insurance reasons so having an initial twin will mean two things:

less time getting endorsed (more likely to be given the time off work than others)
possibly being able to use the boss's aeroplane when an ATO is in townOf course, if you haven't got the money then don't worry as you really just need to get some bulk hours and that means getting there soon to smash out some single time.

FRQ CB

ditchin
4th Feb 2009, 11:46
I'm planning on driving up to Kununurra in 2 weeks time, but I heard today that the place is literally an island at the moment, due to floods in the area.

Can anyone confirm this? if it is true is it meant to be clearing anytime soon?

Unusual-Attitude
4th Feb 2009, 12:15
Nearly whale shark season in Exmouth, north west WA...give Rollo a bell, (the only operator in Exy, google it). I got a very quick 500 hrs aerial spotting outta the place a coupla yrs ago. Good criac too.

The Green Goblin
4th Feb 2009, 12:24
Can anyone confirm this? if it is true is it meant to be clearing anytime soon?

If you are coming from Perth the road between Fitzroy crossing and Halls creek is closed to cars/ open to trucks and 4x4s with water between 200/300mm deep in places.

The Victoria bridge is closed on the NT side, but there are alternative routes if you have a look on google maps.

Check out mainroads WA and NT road closures, everything is always listed.

the wizard of auz
4th Feb 2009, 14:35
Good criac too.
True that!. plenty of BBQ's and good times to be had. :ok:

ditchin
4th Feb 2009, 22:33
call me stupid, but wtf is criac?

The Green Goblin
4th Feb 2009, 22:51
Should be craic shouldn't it??

Irish word for a laugh/good time etc

the wizard of auz
4th Feb 2009, 23:06
Pronounced CRACK. means good times, good yarn, Etc. tiz oirish to be sure.

magritte1982
8th Jun 2010, 09:17
:eek:
Avoid Adrian and you'll be safe :suspect:

The Green Goblin
9th Jun 2010, 12:25
I must admit I was never too keen on A, and anyone that ever had anything to do with him felt the same.

No doubt he will end up working as an FOI at some stage :p

Flying Meat Cleaver
9th Jun 2010, 14:45
I think FOI is a little far fetched! Maybe a nomadic DAMPs tester man.

FMC.