PDA

View Full Version : FAA Flight Dispatcher Certificate - KNOWLEDGE SHARING

Aviator_FK
29th Jan 2009, 17:27
I have a foreign (ICAO contracting state) flight dispatcher certificate aka flight operations officer license. I also hold commercial pilot license. I am now residing in NC, USA and currently working towards conversion of my foreign commercial license into FAA commercial certificate.
I have little non US experience as flight dispatcher about less than 2 years, with a small cargo and charter operator.
I would like to acquire FAA flight dispatcher certificate, but unfortunately FAR do not offer any provision to convert dispatcher license.

What are the options (certianly cost effective) available for me?

FlightDispatch
7th Feb 2009, 10:48
Hey Mate,

Actually I'm doing the FAA Dispatchers license. It is quite expensive the cheapest on-site course is Jeppesen which I remember was about 6000USD thats all course feee, books, exams, and most importantly Accomodation. I'm afraid I've not heard of any transition from an ICAO to FAA. According to FAA Regulations you have to attend the dispatchers course with a minimum time spent on it to be authorized to do it. I myself am actually doing a Distance learning course which is alot cheaper since you do everything at home. It costs about 2500USD but no free accomodation plus it takes over 2 months rather than the 6 weeks intense course. But I can't afford it. So there you go. Good luck.

BelArgUSA
7th Feb 2009, 15:19
Aviator FK -
xxx
The best dispatcher training (with outstanding reputation with airlines) is Sheffield School of Aeronautics. They are known by US airlines and foreign air carriers as well. They are located in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, and their training takes some 8 weeks. The cost in approximately $5,000, all inclusive. Several sessions are available each calendar year. See their website.
xxx
Flight Safety offers dispatcher training too, but they are more bizjet oriented for flight department of corporate operators and are apparently slightly more expensive than Sheffield.
xxx
Of course you can study the written FAA Flight Dispatcher test, by using the FAA ATP study books, study FAR 25, 65, 91 and 121, and pass the written (valid two years) but still will need to pass an FAA flight dispatcher oral and practical test, and meet some practical training requirements with an airline using a dispatch or flight following system, such as a FAR 121 air carrier, to finally get the certificate.
xxx
A pilot who takes a written FAA ATP and passes with a score of 90%, can probably pass the flight dispatcher written with 80% or more, if he knows some of the specifics of FAR 65. The theory is about same, meteorology, flight planning, performance, regulations, navigation, weight and balance, and publications, etc.
xxx
While big airlines do their own dispatcher training internally, such as United or American, the smaller carriers could hire you to work in their flight operations department as assistant at "minimum wages", and tell you to get training for a certificate at i.e. Sheffield. I knew the son of a friend who did it in this manner with Atlas in Long Beach, CA.
xxx
Good luck to you.
:ok:
Happy contrails

merlinxx
7th Feb 2009, 17:19
Is it not time Paul that you came back to the Old Euro Zone and started you're own school Master ?:ok: It would be welcomed:ok:

BelArgUSA
7th Feb 2009, 17:44
Oh Bob...! -
xxx
Nobody wants to push my wheelchair.
Going down the stairs with Cat.IIIb minimums.
And missing the last steps with no auto flare...
Although it is with white wall radial tyres.
Just to impress the nurses of the retirement house.
xxx
Besides, being a dirty old man is more fun than a plain old fart...
:}
Happy contrails

dxpexpress
8th Feb 2009, 00:10
Does anyone know if you are a non-US resident/no green card individual who obtains the FAA Dispatch License, could you legally work in the US or will an airline sponsor you?

Cheers!

BelArgUSA
8th Feb 2009, 02:36
NO.
See numerous questions in forum by pilots asking same.
What applies to pilots, applies to dispatchers.
USA airlines do not "sponsor" anyone for immigration.
xxx
:(
Happy contrails

pilotms
8th Feb 2009, 09:02
Aviator FK
it might be possible for you to take an abreviated FAA Dispatch Course.
Some schools are offering a quick course with about 2 weeks instructing for people with previous knowledge, i.e. pilots.
Check with the various schools if this is possible for you.

Aviator_FK
11th Feb 2009, 16:50
thanks pilotms?

AiRBuS_380
12th Feb 2009, 13:08
hi,

check out jeppesen in Denver, they do have some wavier programmes for dispatchers in ICAO states as they conduct the dispatch training in States such as UAE, Singapore, China, or Malaysia. Thus, it will take you 2to 3 weeks for refresher training and to get a FAA license.

hope this helps.

Buster Cherry
25th Feb 2009, 23:44
The best dispatcher training (with outstanding reputation with airlines) is Sheffield School of Aeronautics. They are known by US airlines and foreign air carriers as well. They are located in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, and their training takes some 8 weeks. The cost in approximately $5,000, all inclusive. Several sessions are available each calendar year. See their website.I studied for my FAA licence at Sheffield & I have to say, it is without doubt, the most comprehensive training program possible for our line of work. The instructor, (Brett) is probably the most knowledgeable man in the business whom I've had the pleasure of being taught by & I've been around tin a long time so I don't say that lightly.

My only gripe with the FAA is the distraction of ADX...:mad:.

Any other school will fall short by their standards....By at least the definition of a ceiling + infinity.....Or a high min captain's destination RVR requirement!! :eek:

boredcounter
26th Feb 2009, 07:24
Just interested, did you do the 6week 'full' or 2week 'quicky' and when?

Cheers

Bored (UK based 2006 graduate)

Lauderdale
26th Feb 2009, 07:53
Bored (UK based 2006 graduate)

Really bored? I am a Sheffield 2006 UK based graduate as well...... February to be precise!

What month were you?

boredcounter
26th Feb 2009, 08:49
April, 2 week course, pass on 28th. Seeking feedback on 2 week courses after that and especially the 'ADX focus' of people from the UK.

ubaid123
26th Feb 2009, 09:55
Flight Dispatch

Will u get a FAA Flight Dispatcher license after u r done with the course ?

or just a certificate?

Isnt it necssary to be on US soil to take the License exam and for issuance of the license?

I want to get the license without going to the USA , are there any options??

I have done the Jeppesen Flight Dispatch 2 month intenssive course here in duabi and have the GCAA Flight Dispatch License.

Can the FAA be acquired without going to USA???

four engine jock
27th Feb 2009, 11:48
Hi Guys
Try Higher Power Aviation.
Great place and good people.

Higher Power Aviation (http://www.jetcrew.com/index.htm)

Good luck

MarkerInbound
27th Feb 2009, 12:37
Ubaid,

Check with the FAA field office in London to see if they or the field office in Frankfurt can conduct the practical test. The SIN office only does maintenance stuff. I thought there was an office in Jeddah but I don't see any listing, maybe it was just someone attached to the embassy.

Buster Cherry
28th Feb 2009, 20:14
Hi Bored,

I did the 6 week course. I'm UK also.....Are you airline based?

April, 2 week course, pass on 28th. Seeking feedback on 2 week courses after that and especially the 'ADX focus' of people from the UK.ADX is a pain in the :mad:. It's very antiquated & most of the 570-odd questions on there are very out dated. The good news is there are plenty of cheats & it's basically a memory exercise only & nothing more. Take the info in it with a very large pinch of salt & don't let it confuse you with the actual course content either....Memory only until you pass then forget everything about it. ;)

bcp7
2nd Mar 2009, 17:38
To answer an earlier poster's question - While commonly referred to as a Dispatcher license or a pilot's license, they are FAA Airman Certificates. I have a private pilot certificate and an aircraft dispatcher certificate.

boredcounter
7th Mar 2009, 02:27
'ADX is a pain in the . It's very antiquated & most of the 570-odd questions on there are very out dated. The good news is there are plenty of cheats & it's basically a memory exercise only & nothing more. Take the info in it with a very large pinch of salt & don't let it confuse you with the actual course content either....Memory only until you pass then forget everything about it.'

You have summed it up a treat, take the American 'learn the answer to the question' view'. Whilst you boast about your 6 week course that teaches you to 'pass' to the first stage of making an airline work, I ask again.

Please can any Shefield (2 week, post 2006) 2 week course post.

1/ADX and comments

2/ Course structure

Thanks in advance

Bored

faris abdulrahiman
9th Jul 2012, 15:52
The FAA certificate are they valued outside United States like United Arab Emirates , As a Resident of the UAE I have certain queries that needs a few clarification , i am hoping the people here will help me out in this situation.

1. In order to receive the FAA Flight dispatch License , is there any age limits ?
2. Which university in the US is quite suitable for me as to learn F.D
3. Is it necessary for me to study any more courses after i receive the FAA certificate so that i could qualify for a job , so as to receive a more secured position

Hoping for positive reply