PDA

View Full Version : Worth Doing an Instructor Rating during Credit Crunch???

Mile High Nutcase
29th Jan 2009, 14:18
I finished my training a few months ago and have a frozen ATPL. Tried most airlines in this world but haven't recieved much positive feedback.

Obviously, jobs with airlines are really hard to find hence the £6000 question, would anyone advise doing an Instructor rating while waiting for the economy to improve and then getting into airilines???

Jobs in Instructing are also on the decline as to my research so far but it will build hours, experience and contribute to the ever increasing cost of living.

Instructor pay scales would also help in making a decision.

All ideas appreciated.

MHN

Mile High Nutcase
29th Jan 2009, 14:25
Moderators

I'm fairly new to this so if you think I've put this thread in the wrong section, by all means, move it

cheers

MHN

MIKECR
29th Jan 2009, 15:32
My 2 local clubs are very quiet just now with bookings. They are both fairly big clubs, 1 with normally a high turnover of instructors. In that particular club however, no instructor's have left for the airlines for months now. The club wont be recruiting any FI's til further notice.

The FI ticket is a sound move but in the current climate you will struggle to get a job. If paid by the flying hour, you will be struggling to make ends meet.

Flying Squid
29th Jan 2009, 16:46
MHN.....

Good question mate. I was doing some soul searching whilst walking the dog this afternoon and asked myself the same question. I can't decide either and I will be done with my training fairly soon. As MikeCR says, instructor jobs are on the decline. Ive got a couple of mates instructing and they are struggling to make ends meet at the mo.

I'm seriously considering becoming an instructor for 5 years or so and moving onto CPL/IR instruction. There's reasonably good money in that and there's usually a demand somewhere for them.

The most attractive thing for me is the chance to become a better pilot. The hours are a big plus and should help with the great job hunt when the time comes but some fine tuning of hand flying skill's and having some fun is what really interestes me. I'm not going to lie and say I want to be buzzing around in light twins for the rest of my career but I do like the idea of it for a few years. Spent all this money on training, may aswell enjoy the outcome!

Not sure if this helps your predicament mate but just know you're not alone!

FS :ok:

chongololo
29th Jan 2009, 16:59
Some pros and cons to help decide:

Pros:
-another license or rating looks good on your cv and makes you more employable.
-the FI shows that you hit the books hard and worked hard to learn all aspects of flying, ie: dedication
-you can build time and have others pay the bill.
-you will learn plenty and it will make you a better pilot.

cons:
-the added expense as you mentioned.
-the low instructor wages to start with.
-not too many instructor jobs out there right now.

I instructed for years after not finding work post 9/11. I have no regrets however and gained valuable experience along the way.
I still instruct part-time to keep my FI current.

Good luck in whatever you chose.

dartagnan
29th Jan 2009, 18:53
very hard to get a job as a fi, and most school will ask you for 500h as a flight instructor (insurance requirement). and when economy will bounce back, you still need a type rating.

if i was you, i would save money for a rating in the future and see how things improve (if things improve). for now , do nothing until the governement help us.
except a crisis for 5 years.:{

madlandrover
29th Jan 2009, 20:31
most school will ask you for 500h as a flight instructor (insurance requirement)

Absolute nonsense. PPL level instructors all start from ab-initio - the 500 hour requirement is only to be approved for CPL instruction. Aircraft insurance policies almost all state "Any FI", with no hours requirement. That includes up to light twin level (our twins are insured for any pilot with more than 250h TT, ie not people with CPL/IR in minimum hours).

The FI rating and job is immensely satisfying - it hones your own skills to a level where you can demonstrate and teach in most conditions, and to almost all abilities of student. The first few years pay incredibly badly, especially bearing in mind the investment you've made, but for those who enjoy it then it's well worth it. I'm lucky enough to enjoy it!

TheGlide
29th Jan 2009, 22:13
Dont bother wasting your money its a crap situation to be in especially at the moment ,
Go back to whatever you worked at before and keep mailing the airlines or wait till the next up turn ,not only is there no FI jobs ,
But theres no students anymore to teach .
No hours ,No money :ugh:

Do yourself a favour and take good advice

adverse-bump
29th Jan 2009, 22:37
At the school were i do part time FI work there are still jobs and students to the extent i can drop them an email 2 or 3 days before i want to go in and have a nearly full program.

good luck if you decide to do it, it will make you a better pilot

White Otter
29th Jan 2009, 22:37
Just taking a guess at the future but I'd say that when the market does start to pick up then they'll be a sudden influx of people learning to fly who were putting it off before due to the market. Doesn't really help you for now but it all depends on your personal circumstances; doubt any low hour fATPL will be getting much other than FI for next couple of years so it depends on if you have a good day job to fall back on. If so maybe do the instructor course when theres signs of the market recovering.

Mile High Nutcase
30th Jan 2009, 08:47
guys

appreciate all your thought so far.. keep them coming.

I suppose in a sense i'm lucky enough to have job doing security at the moment. pays not great but long hours make up for it (this is the job that has actually paid for all of my training). starting off with a restricted FI Rating, i may have to instruct part time to make ends meet until i get onto the better pay rates teaching CPL etc.

I'll be speaking to my Flight school some time next week to find out the job prospects straight after the course.

Does anybody know roughly what the take home pay is in flight schools in the UK and abroad.

some scools pay a retainer for full time staff and hourly flight pay. Part timers only get flight pay. ny ideas what different scools pay per hour for restricted, unrestricted, PPl CPL ME and IR instructors?

Regards
MHN

Flying Squid
30th Jan 2009, 15:34
The Glide - "But theres no students anymore to teach".....not sure which school's you've been into lately mate but the one's I've been into are still reasonably busy. Whether or not this is sustainable is another question but for the time being there still seems to be a steady influx of newbies.

Since I started training in early 2008 I've been suprised how many people don't have big loans but have got the money from either savings or have come from well off families.

There will undoubtedly be a drop in demand for training but many of those with the money already in hand are bound to take advantage of the more competitive training rates currently on offer.

FS :ok:

hi9h_fly3r
30th Jan 2009, 17:02
This is a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion and to add my pennies worth, i think the F.I route is a good move. I have been toying with the idea for months and have decided to go for it, i have spent too much money getting to where i am to give up. I finished my training at the end of 2007 and aside from a couple of interviews that didn't happen for me (gutted) at the start of 2008, i have had nothing since. I am a tiny fish in a huge pond and no amount of determination is going to change that, except becoming a F.I and increasing my hours!
I trained at Oxford and they are churning them out like sausages, more low houred guys after more low houred guys coming onto this saturated market every month while the jobs are getting fewer and fewer. I'm being realistic to myself, i know that this is a very difficult industry and i knew that before i embarked on this road but i feel right now, while i'm competing with guys with a TR and a few thousand hours under their belt, i have absolutely no chance and i'm not going to kid myself that i do so right now becoming an F.I makes perfect sense. However with the economic climate the way it is and set to get worse, i understand that i'm going to be competing with this guys now for F.I positions as well!! Forever the optimist though:ok:

horsebox
30th Jan 2009, 18:03
Instructor route is still a valid way to gain experience, build up hours, improve your flying skills, and meet useful contacts. All of which elevate your position in the pecking order to get that first airline job. The 1000hr + instructor is of interest to the turboprop company, who are on the lookout for quick command progression.

There are to many 230hr cpl/ir holders out there, all wondering why airlines are not beating a path to their door. Living in dreamland.

There are instructor jobs out there, the money is not great, you might have to do it part time to start with, the first few months can be odd, finding your feet and developing your instructional skills. If you have some personality, and motivation you can generate alot of your own work, build a portfolio of students, and actually be commercially useful to a school.

The instructor job is very much what you choose to make of it.

Flying Squid
30th Jan 2009, 21:26
Yeah totally agree. I'm seriously thinking of going FI as soon as I finish.

To me the big advantages are: - Keeping current, building hours constructively, seriously honing the flying skill's, getting myself near the top of the pile when things pick up for a TP job, earning some (although little) money, having another string to the bow, make some new contacts, have some fun flying (Might be slightly morbid but stalls and PFL's are great fun to me!) :O

The downsides as I see them: - Naff money, more training expense, competitive job market (albeit nothing like the low hour FO job market!!! :ugh:)

The economic downturn has made me think about things a bit more.... Airline flying is what I aspire to but I'm determined to have some fun first with instructing/air taxi/bush flying/crop spraying....you get the idea. (Although thats not to say I'd turn down an airline job if one materialised....maybe the easter bunny will bring one this year!)

MIKECR
30th Jan 2009, 21:48
Guys,

Before you launch head first into an FI course...make sure the job prospects are there at the end of it. Today, I happened to see a fairly big FTO's bookings for next week - there's not 1 single booking in it! The current FI's at the club are having to look elsewhere for work(not necessarily flying related).

Best advice...phone around some of the clubs and get a feel for whats happening.

The FI rating is/has always been a great rating. Just make sure you get your moneys worth out of it!

Perhaps look at some of the parachute and gliding clubs around as an alternative for this summer - a good saeson could easily get a few hundred hours under the belt, without the 7 or 8k expense of an FI course.

sherig
31st Jan 2009, 10:25
Hello folks - I'm justing coming to the end of an FI course... Any ideas what the average hourly rate is for a new full time instructor in the south?

sherig
31st Jan 2009, 11:17
No wonder you stopped!

Guess I'll be walking to the airport then.

Boing7117
31st Jan 2009, 13:38
for now , do nothing until the governement help us.

Not sure about the above quote. It's unlikely any of the little people are going to get bailed out.

I finished flight training early last year and had a tough time looking for employment. If I were in your shoes (and this time last year I was... albeit a slightly better situation than present) - I would definitely look into the FI route.

chongololo has listed the pros and cons. Spot on IMO.

Go down the FI route, if for no other reason than to just prevent yourself getting rusty. Because your skills will corrode rapidly. Keep current, keep flying.

I'm sure you won't get paid much. And I'm sure it'll cost a few quid to get the rating as well. I expect you'll probably need another job just to make ends meet - but you'll need to be fresh and current when recruitment starts again and this is probably the best way of doing just that.

All the best.

Mile High Nutcase
31st Jan 2009, 19:01
Guys

Once again thanks for all your thoughts.

Spoke to my Flight School regarding the FI Rating today. They are fully booked until April so I'll have to wait until then to start. Loads of people are showing interest in the course and most, if not all, are in the same position as me.

As standard policy in my school, they prefer to employ instructors that they have taught (to keep a sense of standardisation he says), this is slight good news for me, because i'll have a good chance of actually getting a job with them whether its part time or full time. Also spoke to a friend in the middle east and seems the job prospects for FI's is good up there. Car, Apartment and $3000 per month.

I suppose I'm almost convinced this is the ''wisest'' move in these troubled times and i'm going to book myself in for the course, I've got a couple of months before i start unless something else comes along in the meantime.

Regards
MHN

Wee Weasley Welshman
31st Jan 2009, 22:00
You would be mad to do a FIC now. Window licking mad.

No jobs. No prospect of jobs. No decent pay even if there were.

Forget it.

Total waste of time.

TheGlide
31st Jan 2009, 22:05
Flying Squid just got your response ,You say you dont know what school ive been to lately and that most flight schools are reasonably busy . then you say your friends are struggling to make ends meat .

Am I missing something .

Take some advice from WWW he was right about the recession and people didn't listen .

n.dave
31st Jan 2009, 22:11
If I was supposed to be one of your students, what would I think?
(Is this person really going to teach me or is he just using my time and money to keep him/her current)

No Offence

n.dave

Wee Weasley Welshman
31st Jan 2009, 22:25
n.dave - I've taught HUNDREDS of people how to fly aeroplanes. Some of them wanted and did become commercial pilots.

My advice to you now is to stop at Private and enjoy that aspect.

Experienced Airbus/Boeing Captains will be flipping burgers by Christmas.

Reluctant737
31st Jan 2009, 22:30
Pessimists (they would call themselves realists) - Tunnelvision

Optmists - Tunnelvision

The ones in between have it about right :ok:

WWW, that's why any responsible pilot plans his or her career and has the contacts to fall back onto a different flying job should the one directly affected by our 'little money problem' goes balls up.

The ones who only have eyes only for 20+ tonnes of jet perhaps deserve what comes their way... there's aviators and there's aviators.

Ad

Wee Weasley Welshman
31st Jan 2009, 23:16
Bull****. There are no jobs. There won't be for years.

Its not complicated.

Reluctant737
31st Jan 2009, 23:38
Andy, I appreciate everything you say on here - yes, people are blinded, and ambitions cloud the judgment of the otherwise rational person.

However, I am also aware that your experience has remained purely within the boundaries of so called 'professional' aviation. In your world of aviation the skies are darkening and hope diminishes as the sea of unemployed pilots grows by the day, ever fuelled through a continuous influx of inexperienced pilots. Indeed, times are going to get very tough.

But out there exists another world of flying - it takes an expeditious pilot to discover it and a harder one to enter it. And it can't be found on this little island, Europe, the States, or Jerez for that matter.

We both know to where I refer - I talk from experience and have been out there a few times in the past - in many parts of the world, flying is a luxury. Out there it's a necessity.

Open your eyes, you'd be amazed what there is out there.

Ad

Mile High Nutcase
1st Feb 2009, 00:37
Once again appreciate all your thoughts

I have to disagree with '' there are no jobs out there for Instructors''.

A friend of mine has just finished her FI rating and got a job instructing so there are jobs out there. The busy season is not so far away hence flight schools are going to be busier and will probably require more instructors.

I agree the pay is crap that's why I'd rather work part time to start with. Its not ideal but sometimes you have suffer little evil, for the greater good.

Not doing anything during these times will not do people like me any favours. It could take ages, as you say yourself, for things to get better and when it does we'll all still be in the same boat as we are now.

Imagine this for a second - If in five years time you are a recruitment manager for a major airline and are looking to recruit FO's, how would i appeal to you if i spent all this time working in my current security job (just to pay bills) and still have the same 250 hours TT or would I be more appealing as a Flight Instructor with 2000 hours (who has at least made a bit of an effort)

Reluctant737 - where is this place where flying is a necessity? am i missing something

I've got about a month to make a decision whether to start the FI course so all thought's are appreciated. At the moment i'm leaning more towards ''FI Rating is the wisest move to make''

regards
MHN

Mister Geezer
1st Feb 2009, 01:08
Bull****. There are no jobs. There won't be for years.

Its not complicated.

Perhaps not strictly true since it would take a brave man to confidently say that there will not be one single FI job in the whole of the UK for the next few years. I used to do the odd bit of instructing that I could fit in around my airline flying and you may be surprised to hear that I was recently asked if I could take on a couple of new students to start as soon as possible. This may be an isolated case but I hope that it highlights that the PPL training industry will still tick over during these turbulent times. There will be a select group of people who have the time and the surplus cash which will enable them to learn to fly.

You will have to look away from the populated areas and consider the more remote parts of the UK where the number of FIs looking for work will be less. I am not saying that there will be jobs at the far flung Schools and Clubs in the UK but this is where your best chance will be. Do your research and network and do not expect miracles. FI jobs will be as scarce as airline jobs and the same amount of perseverance will be required to hunt down any elusive vacancies that may exist.

However it might not be as easy as that since many would have to move if they were to exploit such an opportunity and to do so at the moment might be viewed as a gamble. Also, unless you have got a full time position then moving for a FI job will probably not be worth it.

My golden nugget of advice for a FI course has always been the following:

Do not embark on a FI course unless you have a instructional position guaranteed at the end of it.

That applies even more so at the moment...

Good luck to all :ok:

Reluctant737
1st Feb 2009, 01:33
Mile High Nutcase -

There are certain regions of Africa (a little place called Maun is very popular with prospective pilots) where aeroplanes are as common as cars here - I have it on reliable authority that the job market there is in fact busier now than it was one year ago, and tends not to move with the standard economical phugoid. There are many parts of the continent, stricken and isolated from the world, with no 'beaten track' accessibility so to speak. Flying is therefore a necessity, and I know of no less than three mission work (there are many more) companies operating in that region, always looking for pilots due the high turnover rate - experience helps, but there are many courses available specific to the kind of flying you would encounter there. It's mainly medical - the company I flew with in the past involved me flying to various local strips accompanied by a UK nurse, treating those with disease and having suffered various accidents. Unfortunately three weeks from finishing my time there, I suffered a fuel leak over dense jungle and the aeroplane was written off - my companion suffered a broken back, myself a dislocated shoulder and two broken fingers. We then spent 4 hours there before somebody picked us up. So there is an element of danger in this work, and the pressure on you as a pilot is immense. Which is perhaps why so many people steer clear of this path - although judging by the level of selfishness in so many pilots I see on here, perhaps that's a good thing.

Mister Geezer -

You are correct regarding those with the means to train towards a PPL - somebody who makes the plain statement 'people don't have money so they can't afford to fly, go figure' is being incredibly ignorant. The reason is, there are an infinite number of biases not accounted for - everybody's situation is different, and yes, as a statistic, there are less people who learn to fly during a recession, that's a fact. But it's not doomsday - some people are not affected by the economy, some people even gain from it. Here's an example - probably 15-20% of people I met whilst learning to fly were retired. Those people will continue to learn because they have allocated a certain amount of savings into achieving their licence, no matter what. They also tend to take a little longer in learning, and over a longer period, which is good for the school. Another 10-20% were of the 'money no longer matters to me because I am immensely rich and no longer part of the output economy' type, therefore unaffected.

The bottom line, in my opinion - people will ALWAYS want to learn to fly, yes, noticeably less during an economical recession, but we certainly won't be seeing any of the 'doomsday' effects some people tend to me mentioning. The problem with armchair economists is they are just that - too much time to allocate to 'thinking' about every little variable in the world's financial position, and in doing so create their own thought streams which vary massively from what's happening in the real world. If you hit a golfball 1 degree in the wrong direction, after 800 yards the error is considerable.

Get your FI - but only if you are expeditious enough and have the means and 'tie-breaking' allowances to move to the edge of the world in pursuit of work. As I've always said, the problem is not that there is a lack of jobs. It's finding them.

Just my opinion, but still food for thought.

Ad

Wee Weasley Welshman
1st Feb 2009, 08:44
More people are doing the FIC because there aren't the airline jobs available.

At the same time the economy is slowing faster than in the last recession.

Whilst there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that some school remain busy these have to be balanced by the schools that don't shout about the fact they are not opening on Wednesdays or have dropped the instructor pay rate. Flying schools are amongst the ultimate discretionary spend. In the last recession many went bust. They are not very profitable even in the good times..

Once the mass airline redundancies kick in you'll have a flood of ex-instructors returning to the market inbetween van driving.

bucko
1st Feb 2009, 13:53
Factor in also that with the credit crunch, not too many banks are going to be giving out large loans especially for flight training, thus the pool of students is going to dry up.

Reluctant737
1st Feb 2009, 14:50
It won't dry up - it won't remain the same - it will still increase, albeit at a reduced rate.

However, that can only be a good thing either way, and it's a good point :ok:

ewsd02
2nd Feb 2009, 10:36
Honestly, flying instruction is poorly paid as it is without everyone flooding the market further while they wait out the poor airline market. With FI jobs getting harder to come by, the next step will be for schools to reduce wages further = no one can afford to instruct. If you don't have any instructional background then you are going into it for the wrong reasons. Having said that, can't blame people for wanting to stay in the game having spent much time and effort on the CPL/IR, must think about the wider implications and weather you really want to teach people.

Flying Squid
2nd Feb 2009, 13:13
TheGlide......

Most school's are still busy. Sorry it's Monday so I may be a bit slow but where did I mention having friends struggling to make ends meet???

The only friends I have that are struggling to make ends meet are the one's instructing. However if this was about money then I wouldn't even consider it. I can earn more money stacking shelves! The whole point of instructing for me is to stay current and as fresh as possible for when the jobs market recovers whenever that maybe. If it means taking a second job to live off then so be it.

As for people not listeneing to WWW's predictions of the end of the world...... Well according to him there should be mass rioting and ararchy on the streets by now....is there....NO! We don't need WWW to tell us what's going on in the world believe it or not. So it's not about people not listening. We've got the wonderful media to pedal the doom and gloom quite enough as it is!!!

But lets not turn this thread into another Doom and Gloom page. It's an interesting point regarding the FI rating at the moment and one that I'm still considering.

Any more thoughts folks???

Wee Weasley Welshman
2nd Feb 2009, 14:23
You've seen the rioting in Paris & Athens I take it? The unemployment rate climbing to 14.4% in Spain this month, the secondary picketing of UK refineries which is spreading as we speak to power generating plants? The sharp rise in knife crime and the growing unrest for British jobs for British workers?

People said I was doom mongering in Sept 2007 when I was warning of a proper recession coming. You say I am doom mongering because I have been warning about civil unrest. It will happen because it always does happen when you have a deep recession and rising unemployment. I just hope we don't end up back in the situation seen in Liverpool, Birmingham and London where the rioting got so bad policemen had their heads hacked off in the street.

This is not ancient history you know - it was 1985.

Murder of Keith Blakelock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Blakelock)

ps I think £6.5k on an FIC plus the time it takes is a heavy investment at a time of lowering pay and position in the world of basic flying instruction. First FI jobs are all about PPL's. I would strongly believe that in a time of recession there will be a falling number of people interested in obtaining a PPL. So I wouldn't do it.

Reluctant737
2nd Feb 2009, 14:42
People said I was doom mongering in Sept 2007 when I was warning of a proper recession coming.

Oh no, we're not going to hear about that bloody house again are we!?

Just messing, made me chuckle :p

Anyway guys, it cannae be that bad, it IS snowing after all!

Flying Squid
2nd Feb 2009, 15:08
Yeah it took me 10 mins to get the car out of the gym car park this morning. Snow makes a nice change. Although taking my dog (a Dalmation) for a walk in a snow packed field made for interesting times......watching a random collection of spots running around 300 yards away is a new experience!

WWW - I hadn't seen the rioting abroad if I'm honest. But I doubt the crumbling economy is the sole cause of that. 9/10 people are pissed off at the moment, including me, but I don't feel particualry inclined to go and hack off a coppers head....although another speeding ticket and I may!!!! Just all seems a bit extreme to me. Alright so things are pants in the economy and people are losing their jobs by the day. But I would be amazed if we see scenes like 1985 any time soon. Mind you I suspect they didn't expect it back then either....best tool up then! :E

magicmick
2nd Feb 2009, 15:47
I hate to be the bearer of doom and gloom but I'll share my experiences with you and you can make your own mind up.

I finished my fATPL and MCC last May and spent 6 fruitless months seeking employment, had a few 'nibbles' but nothing came of them. So I started to investigate the FIC route, I downloaded a standards document from the CAA website which detailed every flight school in the UK authorised to teach PPL. As a married family man living in Somerset I wanted to teach at a school where I could at least stand half a chance of getting home weekends to see the family. So I drew a line across the country at Birmingham and emailed every scholl South of that line to see what the employment situation was.

About 40 or 50 schools bothered to reply and they all said pretty much the same things:

They have enough instructors (several were looking to lay off instructors).
None of their instructors have their notice in and if they did put their notice in they would be allowed to leave and would not be replaced.
The CFI has a huge pile of CVs from qualified FIs looking for work and that my CV would just go to the bottom of the pile.
All the FI schools have their courses booked up so loads of FIs are qualifying and looking for jobs.
Many airline pilots being laid off have instructor tickets and are snapping up FI jobs.
Basically the message was that unless I get a job lined up before commencing the FIC then I would spend 6 weeks and £7000 on the course and still not be in employment, I'd just be £7000 poorer.

Obviously faced with this information I scrapped the idea of the FIC, I would definitely recommend that anyone considering signing up for an FIC should do their research and go into the course with their eyes open, it really is a case of 'buyer beware'

Again I'm sorry for being the bearer of doom and gloom but this was the situation that I faced. If any of you do decide to go ahead with the course then I sincerely wish you every success in the course and in finding gainfull employment after the course. Perhaps if you do find employment you could come onto this thread and rub my nose in it for having no guts and commitment.

Cheers

MM

Flying Squid
2nd Feb 2009, 16:14
magicmick.....

Great post. Cheers for that. I'm still a little undecided but your post has put another nail in the coffin of the FI rating for me unless I was offered a job prior to embarking on the additional training. As you said, I too am not really willing to go and spunk another £7k on training without knowing it'll pay off.

I've said above that me looking at instructing isnt about the money and is very much about staying current and fresh. However, it would become all about the money if I did the FI and couldn't get an instructing job. Fine line between having some invaluable experience and something beneficial on the CV and having another rating but no hours instructing and another £7k to pay back. hmmmmmmmm......

FS :ugh:
(Off to find a big wall to bang my head against!!!)

Fair_Weather_Flyer
2nd Feb 2009, 16:46
If you can afford to spend the money on the course and lose it, then do it. It will increase your chances of gaining an instructing job when things pick up even if that's years away; I reckon it will be! To be honest, how many can afford to lose that kind of money right now?

I think if I was a wannabe right now I would probably spend a couple of grand on a good computer flight simulation setup and settle on a job outside of aviation (if you're lucky). At least that way when things do pick up your IFR skills will be fairly sharp. Not exactly living the dream, but a better way of keeping it alive I suggest.

chongololo
2nd Feb 2009, 16:53
An honest personal experience from Magicmick.
Perhaps that says it all.
Tough times boys and girls, I'm sorry to say.

Wee Weasley Welshman
2nd Feb 2009, 17:32
Thanks for that MagicMick.

I think it unlikely that anyone will ever get an offer of a job before doing the course.

I did the FIC in 1998. I tried to get tentative offers before throwing away my office job to attend the FIC. At that point I had been a volunteer gliding instructor for several years and had taught around 30 16yr olds to fly Grob109b motorgliders. I was also working as a Training & Development Officer in industry and was actually teaching people how to conduct workplace training. I had glowing references from my VGS and UAS Commanding Officers and had nearly 500hrs total time with experience of taildraggers and aerobatic aircraft. The economy was really starting to boom with that nice Mr Blair in charge and house prices starting to rise and rise.

And I couldn't anything more than a non-committal offer to read my CV once I had the FI ticket in my hand.

Not even from the school down the road where I'd done my PPL and hour building who were busy and always needed new Instructors as the summer progressed.

It just doesn't happen. If there was a biting shortage of FI's and queues of people wanting PPL courses it might happen in theory. But now - no chance.

Mile High Nutcase
2nd Feb 2009, 18:18
Agree with WWW, there is absolutely no way any flight school will offer you a gauranteed job before comitting to FI Course. I suppose its a matter of luck and timing similar to airline jobs. If you're in the right place in the right time you'll get a job once you have the FI Rating.

I think people people are disregarding the fact that Instructors don't only teach PPL's, especially part timers. Most of their flying hours are actually Trial lessons and AOC charter flights i.e scenic flights etc. With the spring approaching (best time to fly), many people are going to be making the most of their weekends. Granted the economy is not great and will not be for the next few years, but the only people to suffer in these uncertain times are people made redundant, or have seen a great decrease in their income (and also most of us pilots / wannabees). those that are fortunate enough to keep their jobs will probably have a bit of extra cash to spend (due to the lowering interest rates) and its these people who will spend their weekends in flying clubs for trial lessons whether or not they commit to a ppl. Would anybody agree with these thoughts??

Personally, I cannot commit to full time instructors job yet because the pay would not be enough for me to survive. I would only do it Part time during this year and then see if i can afford to go full time later.

A couple of days ago i was leaning towards ''FIC is a wise decision''. Today i'm back to 50/50 taking into account MagicMick and WWW's comments.

Appreciate all your comments so far people. keep them coming.

regards
MHN

avrodamo
2nd Feb 2009, 18:47
Have to agree. Save your money. Don't do it. Just keep current with the licence you have for now until things change.

Dane-Ger
2nd Feb 2009, 19:52
This all very well saying wait until things get better, fine if your early twenties and got time on your side.

I don't, I'm 34 I have 14 ATPL's on a time limit. at least I'm in with a chance if I have an FI ticket, even if it's weekend work and I will gladly move abroad. If I just stick with my PPL Then I've obviously no chance. You got to be in it to win it.

So I start my CPL/FI in May, maybe I'm stupid, time will tell.

Wee Weasley Welshman
2nd Feb 2009, 21:40
Most airlines don't give a stuff about your age until you get to 50.

34 is young.

Your rating will expire in 2 years with no work.

Parson
3rd Feb 2009, 08:37
WWW,

We take it you wouldn't do an FIC (and that is probably sound advice) but what would you do then?

Wee Weasley Welshman
3rd Feb 2009, 08:45
I'd save money to help keep your IR current whilst job hunting for the next 4 years. Any additional funds would go towards the self sponsored type rating fund for the future.

You *can* keep your instrument flying skills somewhere near very cheaply on a home Flightsim and then hire a few hours in a basic instrument trainer which shouldn't cost more than £50 an hour.

The job market you can do nothing about. Making sure you pass the Sim Ride assessment you can.

Parson
3rd Feb 2009, 08:52
WWW, thanks. Pretty much what I've been doing so far but the hours build slowly!

Reluctant737
3rd Feb 2009, 08:53
WWW - sound advice - on top of that, if anybody does decide on keeping up to date via home simulators, I don't care how many pages and topics could be created on the issue, stay clear of Microsoft flight sim and get X-Plane, I used to have it (still do in fact!) and it's very realistic and accurate for instrument flight practice.

If you want to fly circles around Ayre's Rock get Microsoft FS...

Ad

Pace152
3rd Feb 2009, 11:46
I know this is encroaching slightly on another subject but since you talk about being an FI to build hours, some airlines appear to be of the opinion that they would rather employ a low hour with current IR than the slightly higher hour instructor.

Just something else to bear in mind.

I personally reckon (or maybe just hope) that aviation will start to pick up again about half way through 2010. So maybe 2009 would be a good year to either work hard and save money or go off and travel the world (if you can afford it).

Olabade
3rd Feb 2009, 11:50
Some pros and cons to help decide:

Pros:
-another license or rating looks good on your cv and makes you more employable.
-the FI shows that you hit the books hard and worked hard to learn all aspects of flying, ie: dedication
-you can build time and have others pay the bill.
-you will learn plenty and it will make you a better pilot.

cons:
-the added expense as you mentioned.
-the low instructor wages to start with.
-not too many instructor jobs out there right now.

I instructed for years after not finding work post 9/11. I have no regrets however and gained valuable experience along the way.
I still instruct part-time to keep my FI current.

Good luck in whatever you chose.

Quote above sums it pretty good. To add I'd also say that FI work is loads of fun. The pay might be low at first but will pick up as you gain experience (CPL instructing etc), at least it did for me.

Also FI licence will be an advantage when applying for instructor/training vacancies once you land a job in an airline.

If FI jobs are not available near you, go abroad. There are plenty of countries suffering from lack of instructors since the last reqruiting boom emptied the schools from experienced FI's. You also get to see places and different aviation culture from your own.

Also adding IRI(A) to your FI once you've got the IR experience will broaden your job horizons (doing part time IR instructing is paid quite well).

Good luck,

t. Olabade

ps. Passed my IRI(A) skill test yesterday

ewsd02
4th Feb 2009, 12:03
Some sound if rather blund advice on here. My view is that if you really enjoy instructing and want to teach, do the FI rating and you will find a post eventually. You may earn just about enough to live off, but on the upside, getting paid for doing what used to be your hobbie can't be bad!

If you are just looking for any flying job during these difficult times and wouldn't otherwise look twice at instruction, best to save your money due to the poor state of the FI job market, and look elsewhere.

woodcoc2000
5th Feb 2009, 18:12
Believe it or not there is FI work out there!! i know this for a fact..

I talked to an FI(I) a little while ago who told me very sensibly that there would never be a job offer made before they had a chance to look at your skill at teaching flying.. Think about it folks; if you were in the schools shoes wouldnt you want to see a prospective employee teach (albeit on the FI course) before offering them a job.. Be in no doubt if you get your FI rating and apply at another school where they dont know you; you will generally be asked to "teach" the CFI a lesson before an offer of employment is made..

so ask yourself this question.. Do i have the personality and ability to teach?? If yes go for it. I did and half way through my FIC i was told "we have no positions here but i know someone who runs another school and wants you to work there". This is how it happens..

JimbosJet
5th Feb 2009, 19:10
Slight twist to the original post - If you were an experienced airline pilot with 4500+ hrs flying the line, but through no fault of your own suddenly find yourself jobless would you shell out the £6000 or so to do an FI course?

It's something to do, its something you would enjoy and as has already been stated its a way to "keep your hand in". I imagine for some schools the fact that you've flown for airlines already would be a bonus when considering employment, conversely of course there may be others that would prefer a "self-improver".

With regard to the original poster, my personal opinion says don't bother save your money too. It's a hellish situation. We're not talking about a few job losses here, we're talking thousands of full ATPL experienced pilots now looking for work. A lot of them have seen this before, the airline industry is notoriously boom and bust. Have you tried Ryanair? They are after low hours guys, but it will no doubt cost you more than £6000. At least you may get a salary at the end of it.

Please respect that I'm not trying to shatter yours or anyone else's dream and by all means try anything you can to get your first job. Just realise that it is a gamble and you should only ever gamble with what you can afford to loose.

Mile High Nutcase
5th Feb 2009, 22:14
Once again thanks for all your input people, its much appreciated.

Jimbojet - appreciate your comments, I've tried Ryanair but was unsuccessful... May try again soon when they actively start recruiting again. I'm the kind of guy that gambles on certain winners only and it seems my gambling talents will not be enough in this situation.

My school is fully booked for FI Ratings until April so firstly, i have two months to decide whether to go ahead with it, Secondly this poses a problem of the FI market now being saturated as well. My school is very busy all year round and the fact they have so many people going for the FI rating is anther problem within itself.

Firend of mine has just finished FI rating and got a job so the jobs are there.

I'm seriously considering the opinions of people who suggested saving money for SSTR's if and when they are offered.

At this time, my only fear is not doing anything for 5 years or so waiting for the market to improve. Im 25 (i know its not too old.. but 5 years later I'll be a 30 year old with either 260 hrs total time or an Instructor with (hopefully) at least a few thousand hours. What would be appealing to an employer. I know Ryanair prefer low hour guys cos they turned down an excellent instructor with a few thousand hours because '' he didn't fit their profile'' even though his assessment was probably one of the best on the day.

more ideas and opinions welcome.

Regards
MHN

goma
6th Feb 2009, 08:37
Do an instructor raring it will put you in good stead forever,everyone of my counterparts are now training Cpts on big jets as its always looked at later on in life.

DONT listen to the do nots its a great move even if you get stuck doing it for ages,in the bad times you can fall back on it and whether you teach on C152s or B747-400s its all the same,its about human watching and all the good TREs are ex C152 instructors or most of them.

Good luck ,ex C152 instructor now cpt on the upper deck!!1:ok:

Mile High Nutcase
3rd Mar 2009, 00:39
Anybody got any more idea's, opinions or advice??

I'm booked in to start the FI Rating next month.

MHN

SpannerInTheWerks
3rd Mar 2009, 01:57
To me the big advantages are: - Keeping current, building hours constructively, seriously honing the flying skill's, getting myself near the top of the pile when things pick up for a TP job, earning some (although little) money, having another string to the bow, make some new contacts, have some fun flying (Might be slightly morbid but stalls and PFL's are great fun to me!)

Heaven forbid that teaching a student to fly well, enjoy themselves and fly safely would appear on anybody's list of 'advantages'!

Just the type of instructors flying clubs don't really need.

Flying instructing at PPL level never was meant to be a career for the multitude of budding commercial pilots - although it has for many, including myself, been a means of gaining hours at a low cost. I did at least put effort into the job and spent many hours teaching ground subjects on non-flying days and in the winter evenings. I was best man at the wedding of one of my students - he at least appreciated the effort I put in!!!

People seem to have lost track of the flying club mentality and see flying instructing as a somewhat selfish means of achieving their own ends at the expense of someone else - whether that be the flying school and/or the student.

That said, I would recommend anyone to complete an FI course - just remember, as with any teaching job, you're there for the student, not yourself!

KR

SITW :)

Harry28
5th Mar 2009, 02:50
Yup,

Currently have to live at the airport that i am instructing at..:bored:
But i love it, and wouldn't change it for the world:ok:

ewsd02
8th Mar 2009, 12:59
I agree with spanner and must add the following: Don't do it, unless you have a job agreed at least in principle before hand! It is all very well a 747 Capt posting that he started as a 152 instructor and look where he is now, but that is from someone who probably hasn't looked at PPL instruction recently. Misinformed and poor advice is the last thing you need after the debt and expense of a FATPL and another £7k debt and at best a part time job is not going to help you.

There really are no FI jobs at the moment, there were some when this thread started, but that was when all the guys who couldn't get into airlines thought quick enough to start an FI course instead, they have all graduated now and hovered up the few jobs remaining, many are unemployed or working part time making less than £100/week.

My local school normally has trouble recruiting full time FIs due to location, but is now receiving daily enquiries from instructors looking for jobs, even from airline guys who have had their hrs drasticly cut and looking to keep flying, or who fear redundancy.

Sorry to be so negative, but I am well placed to tell your the true situation. Please consider your situation carefully, perhaps the school you are enrolled with has offered a job at the end? Either way, best of luck.

woodcoc2000
9th Mar 2009, 17:26
Guys and girls; honestly there are FI jobs out there.. ok; i may be a slightly experienced instructor but..

very recently relocated to the Derby area and thought i would like some very part time FI work.. knowing nothing about the local schools etc as have not been in this area in my life; looked at vfr chart for nearest airfields; then found schools on internet and emailed school explaining myself and was told let us know when you can come in for chat. did the same at another location. as it turns out will be doing part time FI work at a school where i used to work. all his scouting around took all of ten minutes without doing more than typing on a keyboard and picking up a phone. I made 3 approaches to schools and got 3 positive responses.

Believe me i am nothing special so if i can find work you lot can.. do the FI course.

Andy_R
9th Mar 2009, 18:47
Mile High Nutcase

Ask yourself some questions and answer them brutally honestly.

1. Can I afford the money for the FI rating, along with the time needed to invest in myself?

2. If there was no option of ever flying for an airline, would I seriously consider it as a career choice?

3. Do I really want to do this? Can I cope with teaching, spending an entire day doing circuits for the umpteenth time with someone I wouldn't even consider sharing a beer with outside of work?

4. Am I capable of enjoying instructing regardless of aeroplane type, student type, weather, lack of money?

5. Am I going to become trapped into PPL instructing due to lack of funds? Do I have a get out if it should be required?

6. Did I want to instruct before the market turned belly up?

ewsd02
10th Mar 2009, 08:21
The guy who started this thread is asking whether it is worth him doing an FIC being that there are no airline jobs, so he's looking to build hrs fast and earn some kind of a living. Part time isn't going to achieve either of these points. £7k for 5hrs a week flying? Not worth it, and only going to worsen his financial issues.

Yes, flying schools will always be keen to add experienced instructors to their part time list because they are under no obligation to provide flying for them and can use them during busy times.

I've already said my piece, and refer back to my last post.

Wee Weasley Welshman
10th Mar 2009, 09:46
Its dying on its backside in Instructor land.

It'll be back down to no retainers and £10 an hour by Christmas. There are already too many reports of FIC holders offering to work for free.

Run a mile.

RVR800
10th Mar 2009, 10:25
Its maybe not the best time to start work as an FI although its really a question of your own personal circumstances and whether you have any offers of work

WWW is tryng to damp down expectations so that people dont waste money and get disappointed but that said none of us know what the future holds..

Some people were saying that fuel would now be beyond $200 last Xmas .. just goes to show that even the 'experts' get it wrong :O

Wee Weasley Welshman
10th Mar 2009, 10:50
And some of us was saying that the oil price was a sideshow and the real issue was the looming Depression...

There is not a cat in hells chance of MORE people deciding to do a PPL course in 2010 than in 2008 and there's not much more chance of any existing FI's getting jobs up the ladder from instructing. So where's the vacancies coming from for all these new FI's? The FIC courses and examiners have been very busy for a year.

The supply pump is flat out but I fear the demand pump is seizing.

batman123
11th Mar 2009, 00:00
don't waste your time to become a flight instructor.
it 's not a type rating and no jet time.
flight instructors are paid less 2000$/month, when they fly!!!
and you may be asked to fly in china, asia,...

keep your money, and keep your IR current for now.

bigboyal
11th Mar 2009, 12:06
A tough decision! I can only reiterate what others have said before me but if it was me in the <250hrs fATPL position I'd probably just sit tight and keep my IR current for the next year or two. Well, actually I'd look overseas for a bit of adventure, but that option doesn't suit a lot of people!

I wouldn't be looking at instructing as a means of earning money, or indeed building hours at the moment. I would personally see it as an opportunity to get maybe 10 hours a month to keep reasonably current and also to meet contacts. It will also look better a few years down the line when you go for an interview - at least it looks as though you tried to find work rather than sitting on your arse!! If you can afford 7k without taking a loan I'd say do it. If you can't - don't!!

Mile High Nutcase
12th Mar 2009, 05:17
securing a job before completing the FI course is almost impossible at the moment. I've spoken to the chief instructor on the phone at my school (pretending that i was already qualified FI looking for work) and was told i would only be considered for a job if the course is completed with them (at this point he did not know i was looking to start an FI course so he wasn't trying to sell his product to me). Full time positions were full last month but part time is and will be available in the coming months.

At this time my situation is that I would want to work part time cos i couldn't survive on full time salary. i already have a full time job which i can keep and fly almost all day everyday with.

answers to Andy R's questions answered brutally honestly.

1. Can I afford the money for the FI rating, along with the time needed to invest in myself? At this time Yes. My current job allows me to have multiple days off in a row, i still have loads of annual leave to take, I have the 7k for the course which took me only 20 months to save. Do not have large amounts of debt.

2. If there was no option of ever flying for an airline, would I seriously consider it as a career choice? Yes i would and truth be told I did when i first started training. Obviously i would love to fly an A380 one day or even concorde (if they bring it out of retirement) but IF i never ever get a job in an airline (and i have to be REALLY unlucky for that), I can be content with flying a C152 at 2000ft. My passion, determination comes from flying not walking around an airport in a fancy uniform. I'm not one of those poncy wannabees that will say ''I spent daddy's 80k on a fATPL, means i'm a qualified airline pilot. sitting in a cessna is beneath me..Er captain can i please ask the cabin crew for a coffee please sir...No you cant shut up!) As a career i want to advance and so CPL / IR instruction will always be on the table as well as examining and aerobatics.

3. Do I really want to do this? Can I cope with teaching, spending an entire day doing circuits for the umpteenth time with someone I wouldn't even consider sharing a beer with outside of work? I am a very patient person i have been told. hen i did my MCC, the instructor was a captain on a 767 and he said ''I have the perfect flight deck attitude''. he was referring to the fact that whether we were in S&L flight or dealing with emergencies, the tone of my voice stayed at a neutral level throughout (something i never realised until he told me). So i think i do have the patience and the attitude for the work.

4. Am I capable of enjoying instructing regardless of aeroplane type, student type, weather, lack of money? I love flying different types of airplanes, Weather i dont mind thanks to my CPL instructor who decided to fly in very sporting weather in the winter of 2008, i loved it. I think i'm quite a sociable guy so student types wouldn't bother me. I'm not prejudiced against anyone at all.

5. Am I going to become trapped into PPL instructing due to lack of funds? Do I have a get out if it should be required? I would definately move up the ladder and not just stick with PPL instruction. my get out would be my current job.

6. Did I want to instruct before the market turned belly up? It was always on the table. when i finished my fATPL i always said i try the airlines first and if nothing came along for say 6 months or so or would do instructing.

I'm not going down this route to build hours only but to do something about a career that i've chosen. This recession is probably going to last about 5 years and i want to make the most of it, otherwise when the upturn is upon us, i'll be competing with thousands of fATPL holders all the same boat as me.

I dont want to pay for a type rating without a guaranteed job at the end of it and i Refuse to pay for line training (i'm morally against it).

My decision is that i'm going to take a dive and do the course simply because i dont see myself loosing anything (except 7k but hey money comes, money goes. I worked for it so i deserve to spend it) but i only see gaining a rating, gaining valuable experience.

Am i making sense? Do people see valid points and reasons in this post as to how i've come to this decision.

Regards
MHN

RSFTO
12th Mar 2009, 05:22
March 2009 - Instructing - what are we all getting paid

http://www.pprune.org/flying-instructors-examiners/364885-march-2009-instructing-what-we-all-getting-paid.html

VNA Lotus
22nd Mar 2009, 16:49
yes do not waste your time by taking the FIC...

I am a FI, got a job a in FTO, well paid, I fly a lot more than when I was a good boy improving my skills on flight simulator (what a joke!). Flight school may pay IRI/CRI course if you want.

Stay at home, flying hours are not important.
Companies prefer FFS hours, good value. :ok:

In the same time I get experience, relationship (very important), and maintain my skills.
Thanks to that, I wait for TR course (paid by the company) cause I met a friend.

FI does not help you to find right seat in a big plane right away, but indirectly for sure.

but like otthers said, stay at home, other youngs will seriously think and take the opportunity.

expedite08
22nd Mar 2009, 18:04
Probably worth just keeping current at the moment to be honest. Popped in to Compton Abbas the other week and just got attitude with regard to insructor vacancies! Im not actually looking for FI work ( dont even have the rating) but just getting a feel for whats about. Whats on here is true! Sod all!

tropicalfridge
23rd Mar 2009, 07:24
Shame about the attitude, but perhaps they are getting tired of people coming round looking for jobs. Still, its no excuse. Give it 2 years and places like that will be crying out (again) for instructors and won't let you leave without signing up. Until then, best to sit tight and enjoy your flying.

expedite08
23rd Mar 2009, 18:37
Exactly right tropicalfridge. I was just purely asking to see the response!

Mile High Nutcase
10th Jun 2009, 20:58
Well people,I finally have the answer to my question.

Is it worth doing an Instructor Rating during the Credit Crunch??

Answer ..... YES it definately is..

I started the course in April, finshed 7-8 weeks later.

A week and a half after completing the course, i got a phone call from the school saying they need me for part time instructor work (which is exactly what i wanted).

The course itself taught me loads of stuff and also refreshed all the studies i done ages ago.

All in all i dont think i've lost out on anything (except 6.5k which didn't hurt)

Regards
MHN

shaun ryder
11th Jun 2009, 11:22
Well done mate, good for you. At least you will be able to exercise your privileges and build up some time in your log book.

Its the first step towards a career now.

Respect.:ok:

Mikehotel152
11th Jun 2009, 13:26
And well done for coming back on pprune and letting everyone know that there are good outcomes. :ok:

eltonioni
1st Jul 2009, 06:40
Well done mate, good for you. At least you will be able to exercise your privileges and build up some time in your log book.

Its the first step towards a career now.

Respect.

God forbid he might be actually able to pass on some skills to student pilots too.

james1013
7th Jul 2009, 15:04
I take my hat off to you, my story is pretty much identical, i.e. frozen ATPL, no FO jobs, did FI course march to june 09. I'd love to know how you got a job, I've contacted pretty much every school in the entire country and found nothing :ugh:. Did you find any spare jobs while you were looking!

Yours, one very depressed customer of the aviation training world, 'cus that's all it amounts to having spent bucket loads of cash and spent 2.5 yrs training and chasing paid flying work!

Cheers J