PDA

View Full Version : Should SLF stay completely dry when travelling by plane?

alcockell
29th Jan 2009, 12:26
On watching some of the aviation programmes on ITV, it would appear that a passenger can be refused passage for any amount of alcohol...

What IS the rule? Would it be OK to have a glass of wine ot steady nerves? Or should I, if I were to fly, stay completely teetotal (as is my usual state - I normally drink with a meal, if I drink at all)?

nivsy
29th Jan 2009, 12:29
With the way some of these guys fly and the lack of service on board - grab the bottle with both hands when avai:ouch:lable!

Final 3 Greens
29th Jan 2009, 12:37
alcockell

Rule of the Air 35 (from the Air Navigation Orders) says words to the effect that one should not get drunk on an aeroplane nor enter an aeroplane when drunk.

alcockell
29th Jan 2009, 13:11
OK - seems to be subjective as always...

Just out of interest, does "drunk" in this context mean "blood -alcohol content over a certain level", or "appears to possibly be under the influence"?

For the record, I generally do not drink. Apart from special events, where I redline at about 3-4 units.

As a general rule, ought I leave it 12 hours after any alcohol at all before a flight? Follow the same rules as the people up front?

Load Toad
29th Jan 2009, 13:16
Have you not got anything serious to worry about?

You wanna drink and you can handle it - have a drink. You can't - don't.

alcockell
29th Jan 2009, 13:27
APologies.

Asperger Syndrome and the fact I haven't flown as an adult... meant I was interpreting over-literally...

Please forgive me for sounding a little more scared than expected...

raffele
29th Jan 2009, 13:39
Its a matter of personal preference.

There are two extremes. At one end, there is the law that can prohibit travel if you are deemed too drunk (unfit) to fly.

At the other end of the spectrum, alcohol dehydrates the body and combine this with the cabin atmosphere at altitude it doesn't make a good combination.

In short, drinking in moderation is acceptable. However its better for your well being avoiding alcohol intake all together before and during air travel.

Evanelpus
29th Jan 2009, 13:49
It wouldn't bother me if no alcohol was served on board for the duration of a flight. I suppose it's similar to people who smoke, if you can't go 1, 2, 12, 13 hours without an alcoholic drink it's a sad state of affairs.

OFBSLF
29th Jan 2009, 14:03
You won't be denied boarding because you had a single glass of wine before the flight. If you have a bunch of glasses and get potted, then yes, you might be denied boarding.

Scumbag O'Riley
29th Jan 2009, 16:28
Haven't been twisted on a plane for some time now. Basically because it now makes me feel like cr@p for a few days after, and airlines are now as tight as a chuffs bottie when it comes to handing out the free booze.

Remember on several occasions in the distant past the crew running out of the normal stuff and having to break open the duty free to keep the punters happy. Not any more!

Used to smuggle miniatures onboard when they started charging on transatlantic routes. Better not tell the rabble on the other forums about that one, they'd want to hang me from the yard-arm in Guantanamo Bay for that.

deltahotel
29th Jan 2009, 17:25
There's no real limit - more a matter of behaviour. Think of it like a night club. Be absolutely bladdered but quiet and well behaved - all well. Have a few and get noisy/silly/punchy/obnoxious - expect to be thrown out. Unlike a night club it's a bit diff to throw you out once you've set off. Also unlike a night club your fellow passengers can't move to the other side of the dance floor to escape yr behaviour (and they might be nervous flyers too). So - the cabin crew have to make a judgement as you board and before the ac departs.

As said above, dry air and lower pressure don't always mix well with booze. Something else which seems obvious but can catch you out - are you getting a hire car or driving home? Sadly holiday booze will still set off the breathalyser! I have a couple of friends who cannot fly without a fair amount of sauce - they drink quietly and then behave.

hope this helps

DH

Avman
29th Jan 2009, 18:54
Nothing wrong with a glass or two on a long flight if you know when to stop. Personally, on a long haul flight, I'll have a couple of glasses of vino with the first meal. After that I stick to water.

Noxegon
30th Jan 2009, 14:30
My brother got bumped off an EI flight JFK-DUB onto Kuwait Airways JFK-LHR, and was stunned to discover that Kuwait Airways don't serve alcohol on board. Have to say I was amused :)

draughtsman99
31st Jan 2009, 11:48
Should SLF stay completely dry when travelling by plane?I thought this would be about the Hudson River incident!!

frnikolai
31st Jan 2009, 18:08
I personally am teetotal, but on many full-service carriers they often let drunks on anyway. The only airlines which won't are the no-frills ones.

Load Toad
31st Jan 2009, 19:53
but on many full-service carriers they often let drunks on anyway

Do they really? Care to support that argument? Cos in my experience of about 1000 flights I aint seen it.

BelArgUSA
31st Jan 2009, 22:02
What is your definition for "drunk"...?
I heard some people saying that anyone drinking a beer or a glass of wine is an alcoholic.
So obviously, to them, someone having a lager while waiting for a delayed flight is a drunk.
xxx
Sorry, ladies and gents... Native of Brussels here. French table traditions.
I love a lager occasionally in summer, and a glass of wine or two with dinner.
I hate Coca Cola and all these soft drinks. Bad taste with a meal.
I love milk, i.e. pancake breakfast, or coffee... even orange juice, or mango.
But to me a glass of milk does not fit too well with cheap airline lasagnas.
xxx
If I have a glass of Saint Emilion with dinner, I legally can drive a car.
I assume (therefore) that I can legally be a passenger in an aircraft.
Besides, after a nice Haut Médoc, I have been served a cognac after dinner.
Served by a flight attendant. Will she call me a drunk, thereafter...?
xxx
Come on, people, be realistic... and call me drunk as you wish.
Or a solution, fly Kuwait Airlines, or Saudia...
xxx
Burp...!
:}
Happy contrails

PAXboy
31st Jan 2009, 22:44
Defining 'drunk' is easy in terms of alcohol in the breath and blood but not in behaviour. I have certainly seen some tipsy folks on board and seen folks sold too much on board so that they got rather rowdy. Welcome to the 21st century.

JEM60
1st Feb 2009, 08:15
I agree with the no drink people here. I have never really understood why people cannot go a few hours without drinking alcohol. Generally, especially after long haul, a lot of people then climb into a hire care, tired, dehydrated, as I do, and possibly under the influence. I don't do the last bit. Stick to water. Alcohol and flying simply do not mix. I am not teetotal, but I never see much point in alcohol at the best of times. Paying for it to go in one end, p....g it out the other!! Seems fairly pointless IMO. Remember that all doctors will tell you that alcohol is a depressant.!!

Load Toad
1st Feb 2009, 08:47
I disagree - often I love having drinks prior to boarding and during the flight. I don't drive when I land so if I feel like having a skinful I do - since I don't become an utter 2@ when drunk. Flying and alcohol mix perfectly well for me especially with the use of a light moisturiser for the skin and a few glasses of water and an asprin in case of dehydration and headaches.

Globaliser
1st Feb 2009, 16:35
I have never really understood why people cannot go a few hours without drinking alcohol. ... Alcohol and flying simply do not mix. I am not teetotal, but I never see much point in alcohol at the best of times.Virtually all of us who drink alcohol are perfectly capable of going a few hours without any. But alcohol and flying are very good companions, so long as you don't overdo the former. It's pleasant and relaxing, and a drink or two can be very convivial particularly when it's accompanying a meal. Flying can be good relaxing downtime, exactly the sort of time when you might have a glass or two. What's wrong with that?

hellsbrink
1st Feb 2009, 16:58
I always have a couple of drinks before a flight, if possible. Only 2 or 3, not enough to get me remotely inebriated, but enough to relax me as I can get a bit nervous. Personally I think it's better than having me whacked out on valium. And, hey, if I can have a beer or two in-flight I will too, as I ain't one of those Joeys who go all monkeypoop after 3 shandies, I'm more likely to just sit back and fall asleep until it's time to land.

A good solution, I think.

JEM60
1st Feb 2009, 17:15
Nothing wrong at all, Globaliser. It was just my opinion, is all.

aviatordom
8th Feb 2009, 16:01
Am i right in saying that one unit of alcohol on the ground is equivalent to two units whilst flying?

Pax Vobiscum
8th Feb 2009, 20:09
Although I don't think there's an exact 2:1 ratio, it's widely recognised that alcohol has more effect in the air. You're breathing an atmosphere that has only 70% of the oxygen content of air at sea level and is far less humid (making dehydration more of a problem).

So it's probably not a bad idea to restrict your alcohol intake to around half of what you'd normally feel comfortable with in a similar situation on the ground.

deltahotel
9th Feb 2009, 13:19
Drink as much or as little as you want so long as you behave. Be aware of the effects of lower pressure and humidity. Don't drink in the a/c and then drive. Simple.