PDA

View Full Version : Japan executes 4 prisoners....

er340790
29th Jan 2009, 12:22
BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Four prisoners executed in Japan (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7857437.stm)

Have to confess,this one caught me a little by surprise. Worked extensively throughout Asia and well aware of death penalty in Thailand, Singapore etc, but thought the Japanese were far too excrutiatingly polite these days for such stuff.

Doesn't quite fit the stereotype somehow. You'd imagine they'd provide anyone on death row with a Samurai sword and let them get on with it....

Squeegee Longtail
29th Jan 2009, 12:30
At least they didn't use the fast grow bamboo method this time.

Blacksheep
29th Jan 2009, 12:31
Doesn't quite fit the stereotype somehowNow, that depends upon just which stereotype you're using.

Mrs BS family's experience of Japanese politeness is coloured by the elder family members' experience of entertaining their Japanese visitors in 1942. Although they were invariably very polite and apologetic about it, they still nicked all the food and paid zero wages for a day's hard labour. :hmm:

Farrell
29th Jan 2009, 12:31
The Japanese usually execute by hanging.
Happened a couple of times when I was there.
They do it very quickly - no execution dates are known to the prisoner, apparently they just come to the cell and they are taken away and hung.

Farrell

Bushfiva
29th Jan 2009, 12:46
usually execute by hanging

Always. Family are notified after the event. Inmates are not classified as "prisoners", and don't have full prisoner rights. This means typically solitary confinement, no communication with others. Incidentally, one reason the conviction rate is so high is because suspects can be interrogated 12 hours a day for 23 days with no legal representation and no recordings. Scary place to be arrested for something.

Sallyann1234
29th Jan 2009, 14:17
Japan has hanged two convicted murderers, including one who strangled two schoolgirls with his bare hands.

Hanging seems an entirely appropriate sentence for people like that.

airship
29th Jan 2009, 15:13
Dare one suggest that current Japanese behaviour is nevertheless much improved on and incomparable to the period of say 1931 (or 1937 if you prefer) through 1945...?! Who amongst us would prefer today's Japanese penal system compared to our own anyway...?! :}:uhoh:

Seldomfitforpurpose
29th Jan 2009, 15:19
Would be more than happy with their penal system but not too sure about

"Incidentally, one reason the conviction rate is so high is because suspects can be interrogated 12 hours a day for 23 days with no legal representation and no recordings. Scary place to be arrested for something."

All for hanging guilty feckers but would the above necessarily guarantee guilt...........:confused:

Flight_Idle
29th Jan 2009, 21:32
I've always felt that a condemned prisoner should be able to choose his or her method of exocution (within reason) for example, I would hate lethal injection, & would much prefer shooting. Just get it over quickly, & lets have none of the 'death row' long drawn out cruelty.

Reluctant737
29th Jan 2009, 21:46
One thing I don't understand - we are forever trying to establish a 'civil' method of execution, and people all over the world are going on about how hard this is to accomplish. Our best efforts so far have produced lethal injection, which, if administered to the 'wrong' person, can produce a very painful death.

Surely the answer is simple - a full anaesthetic to put you to sleep (as per having an operation), followed by an overdose, or any other method of stopping the ticker...

Hmm.

Sallyann1234
29th Jan 2009, 22:03
There is only one suitable form of execution.

The same death suffered by the murderer's victim.

tony draper
29th Jan 2009, 22:18
Nah! yer can't beat the Albert Pierrpoint Bungee Jump.
Few of Alberts customers re offended.
:E

BOFH
29th Jan 2009, 22:29
suspects can be interrogated 12 hours a day for 23 days with no legal representation and no recordings. Scary place to be arrested for something

Arrested? It sounds like marriage.

BOFH

chuks
30th Jan 2009, 07:20
Everyone knows that you are supposed to wear gloves when strangling schoolgirls. No wonder he got the noose, doing this bare-handed.

waldopepper42
30th Jan 2009, 07:51
Albert Pierrpoint Bungee Jump..?

As euphemisms go, I prefer "Hemp Fandango"!

I'm all in favour of capital punishment - for some offences,. However, I agree with Seldomfitfor purpose - torturing a confession out of people (which is what the system described below amounts to) is hardly likely to guarantee guilt.

ZH875
30th Jan 2009, 09:27

10/10 for that, gets my vote any time.:ok:

sisemen
30th Jan 2009, 10:17
But if yer gotta go.....use the method that they use at Battersea Dogs Home which is exactly the same as they used on me at the RAF Aviation Medical Centre. Put 'em in a barometric chamber and take 'em up to 30,000 ft but forget to put the oxygen mask on. It really is a pleasant way to go with no grief.......if one has to be civilised about this sort of thing.

tony draper
30th Jan 2009, 10:26
There was a documentary on a while back fronted by Micheal Portillo re the subject of the most humane method of execution that also came to the same conclusion Mr S,light headedness a feeling of euphoria then the big sleep.
:)
Personally I think execution should hurt a little bit.:E

lomapaseo
30th Jan 2009, 12:00

the trouble is to find some one to carry this out.

Whiskey Oscar Golf
30th Jan 2009, 12:18
While the interview techniques used by the Japanese may be a touch unnerving to us Gaijin, there are other cultural aspects in play. The Japanese Plods don't just grab people off the street, they generally have a very good idea of who's the likely culprit before they bring them in to the 23 hr talkfest. The nature of the culture suggests that there is honour in truth and they'll spend a while getting it by pointing out the shame of not admitting ones actions and the evidence against them. Most Japanese crimes are solved by confessions.

You can leave a wallet on the street in peak hour downtown Sapporo and you'll get it back in an hour with your money still in it. Try that in Jakarta and you'll end up with a home loan in Surabaya for $500,000 you didn't even know about. Good and bad in Japanese culture.

Argonautical
30th Jan 2009, 13:10
The most humane form of execution is this:-

Bring the condemned prisoner into the prison governorís office.
Tell him he has being given a pardon and that he is free to leave.
When he has turned around and is walking out through the door, you shoot him in the back of the head.

pigboat
30th Jan 2009, 14:10
Say sayonara Dick...

Diesel Fitter
30th Jan 2009, 14:34
I've no objection to capital punishment per se.

I just don't ever want to see women hung like men.

innuendo
31st Jan 2009, 04:25
The most humane form of execution is this:-

Bring the condemned prisoner into the prison governorís office.
Tell him he has being given a pardon and that he is free to leave.
When he has turned around and is walking out through the door, you shoot him in the back of the head.

I'm guessing that your suggestion will work once or maybe twice until it hits the internet.

MD11Engineer
31st Jan 2009, 05:44
Something similar was the standard method of execution in communist East Germany from the 1960s until the 1980s (before they used the Guillotine, as it was standard in Germany since Napoleonic times, West Germany abolished capital punishment in 1949).
The prisoner was told that he was being transfered to another prison and put into a van. When he arrived at the other prison (there were AFAIK two prisons in the GDR, which carried out this type of executions, Dresden and Bautzen), he was led into a room, where various officials and the prosecutor waited and told him that the execution would be carried out now. He was then led through a doorway into another room, where he expected a gallows, a guillotine or a firing squad or something similar, but this room was totally empty. He though then that it was just a mock execution, but in reality the executioner crept up behind him and fired a bullet from a pistol at point blank range into his head. All witnesses were carefully positioned, so that none would be in the path of the bullet.