PDA

View Full Version : YJAK - Jackson oil field

wish2bflying
29th Jan 2009, 11:56
While doing some other research, I came across this dustbowl, found it on Google Earth at 27° 38' 21.00" S 142° 24' 30.00" E (http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-27.635172,142.40852&z=13&t=h&hl=en) and noticed the X's down the runway.

This place just intrigues me for some reason. It's a private field, and there's no info on YJAK anywhere on the internet, or ERSA (no surprise there, really).

I'm just wondering if any of you have flown in and out of there? With a strip length of 5900', it's obviously been built to cater for some fast and/or large aircraft. Anyone know how long it's been decommissioned, or are the X's just there to warn off non-authorised flights?

Just looking at that whole area in Google Earth takes the breath away, I can hardly imagine what it's like for you guys who fly out that way regularly.

dogcharlietree
29th Jan 2009, 12:27
In '81, I took a "3" into a place called Thomas Field, up that way somewhere.
It was a bulldozed strip in a clay pan. It must have been used for lighties as the high rim of the clay pan reduced significantly the EOL. Also the windsock was "very near" the side of the strip. I cannot find this on Google Earth, so if anyone knows where it is, please let me know. Thanks.

Desert Duck
29th Jan 2009, 13:04
Jackson was closed approx 4 years ago.

I think Santos own the field and it has been decommisioned - although still available for medical emergencies if the owner approves its use.

Jamair
29th Jan 2009, 13:17
Used to go in and out regularly on Santos crew changes, was a good strip from memory.....can't recall if there was an approach there, but it did have lights. Still used it as a reporting point for some time after it closed.

wish2bflying
29th Jan 2009, 14:31
Thanks for the replies guys. It's a big brown land ...

I found this add-on for Google Earth that allows you to show all the landing areas (in their database) around the world ...

http://www.alanblencowe.com/imagesalan/Google%20Earth%20Landing%20Areas.kmz

It has a LOT of otherwise unmarked strips out there ....

Capt Fathom
29th Jan 2009, 20:45
There was an NDB and an International DME there!

Lloyds flew there from BNE & ADL. I have a vague recollection the F28 went in there from Moomba and ADL.

Mr.Buzzy
29th Jan 2009, 20:55
Used to fly in and out of there every 10 days. Highest I ever saw the temperature was 52.
It got to 55 at birdsville that day I was told!

bbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Kickatinalong
29th Jan 2009, 21:22
I flew in there many years ago in a Chieftan had to jump through some hoops with Santos @ Brissy but got permission in the end, the strip was great and the fac's were clean but I got the impression they didn't want lighties in there it was just for there FIFO guys. Shame to hear it's closed.
Kickatinalong:ok:

tinpis
29th Jan 2009, 21:52
Rings a bell, was that there 30 odd years ago?

Tankengine
29th Jan 2009, 23:31
Yeah, prob about 30 years. I was going there every Thursday in a Navajo about 21 years ago.:ok:

185skywagon
30th Jan 2009, 00:20
YJAK was closed when Ballera (YLLE) was commissioned on the western side of the Cooper. Any traffic for the east side of the Cooper now goes into Noccundra, which I believe will be sealed in the near future (if it hasn't been already).
Flown into YJAK with Airservices techs to repair the NDB quite a few years ago.

Like most of the Santos Airports, any of the Cooper basin Airports are off limits to the general public.

The term "PPR" definitely applies.

A31J
30th Jan 2009, 00:34
there are a whole lot of strips of varying quality in the greater Cooper Basin that, unless one is working in the oil and gas game, aren't necessarily commonly available, or known about. these range from hastily bulldozed 1000m jobs that will service a mobile oil test rig, to station strips, right on up to the likes of this one (used to be) and Ballera (YLLE), Moomba (YOOM)

:)

often hot :}

often windy :} dusty :} did i mention hot? :} affected by sandstorms :} wild, short lived thunderstorms :} plagues of insects :ugh: and other assorted distractions that would try the patience of a saint..

having said that, there are some who've flown in and out of this part of the world for their whole careers..20+ years for a couple of blokes that I know :D

tinpis
30th Jan 2009, 01:27
their whole careers..20+ years
New chums :}

Well me at least was 34 years , daily into Moomba from AD

Anyone recall the Williams P-31 350 that went in on that run just north of Para?

Mr.Buzzy
30th Jan 2009, 01:29
Is Bob Keogh still steaming around out west?

Peter Fanelli
30th Jan 2009, 01:33
I went into Jackson March 4th 1996 for an overnight stay, got a hell of a surprise when I went to get some grub and found the dining facility being run by Dave, formerly of the Birdsville Pub during my mail run days.

tinpis
30th Jan 2009, 01:34
:rolleyes: Working his way back to AD.

Stationair8
30th Jan 2009, 01:37
Was that the PA-31 with the runaway trim?

tinpis
30th Jan 2009, 02:29
I cant recall, lost in IMC is all I remember, with all on board?

megle2
30th Jan 2009, 03:34
Thats the new Jackson runway now shut!
The original was down on the eastern side of the creek that runs past to the east.
Nice long clay pan.
Have a photo of a heap of B200 / Cheyanne 3 there the day Sir Joh turned the first sod.

sru
30th Jan 2009, 05:52
Mmmm.... Any where out there in summer :{ Ballera, I was probably one of the first in there, still a dirt strip then - Dave up to about '06 was the airport manager there great bloke:ok: Don't think he quite managed to get back to ADL:).

185Skywagon
Af-CV......all ports out..... CV .....all ports back...... Af , could not have done it without a bit of yarn and a pie :ok: ( not to mention some fuel !)

Long days, but great people (pax sometime not so;)) - learnt a lot:D

wish2bflying
30th Jan 2009, 10:32
Please forgive my lack of knowledge in this area ... I do work in the industry, but not as a pilot, sadly :{ ... another story ... and rotary, nothing related to FW RPT, so having said that ...

What companies service these outback FIFO routes / cargo flights? Are the aircraft and crews company owned and run (ie. Santos) or are they contracted out to regional carriers like Rex or larger like Virgin/Jetstar? Surely given the volume of flights, there would be a reasonably large commitment to this industry, but it's not something I've seen talked about much here on the Proon.

With the downturn in, well, everything, this would have to be an area of aviation that will also suffer ... does this affect any of you directly?

Hmmm .... this might need a new thread. We'll see how far it departs completely from the original.