PDA

View Full Version : Rememberance Services

Canuck_AV8R
14th Sep 2001, 23:29
As I sat watching the TV coverage of the various rememberance services from around the world I felt so proud to be a citizen of this planet.

The first one I watched was the service from St. Paul's Cathedral in London. I never thought I would live to see the day when HRH Queen Elizabeth II would be present in St. Paul's along with so many other digniaries as "The Star Spangled Banner" was sung in full voice by so many of those present. It was another of those hugely moving moments with which we have been inundated with since Tuesday. Such a display of unity, I am not ashamed to say brought a tear to my eye. I am not even an American, I am an Irish Canadian.

The second which made me so proud to be a Canadian was the simple but very moving service from in front of the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa, Canada. On less than 24 hours notice it is estimated that in excess of 100,000 people attended the memorial. It was incredible that in the midst of a bustling city the only thing to be heard during 3 minutes of silence was the flag ropes clanging against the metal flagpoles.

Finally there was the much more formal service from Washington. Attended by all living US Past Presidents except Ronald Reagan (due to illness). The eulogy by Billy Graham was interesting to say the least. He would not have been my first choice, but that is only my opinion.

To all stay safe as worldwide air operations resume.

Cheers

MarkD
16th Sep 2001, 04:16
Canuck_AV8R
As an Irishman myself I watched our own National Memorial Service in DUB. I thought it a reasonable effort if a bit Riverdancish and after all it was the thought that counted.

Then I saw the clips on ITN that night of the St. Paul's congregation singing "The Star Spangled Banner" and realised that our service while honestly done could have been about any country. By including the SSB and the "Battle Hymn of the Republic", not only did it drive home the intent of the solidarity with the US, but it sounded glorious too.

Kudos to all in London.

fireflybob
16th Sep 2001, 10:51
As I watched the service at St Pauls Cathedral, London, I had an overwhelming feeling of love and connection with our brothers and sisters in the USA.

It also reminded me how the Americans helped us to keep freedom during the last World War.

The last night of the Proms on the TV last night was also very moving. The pictures of thousands of people all over the UK united in their grief and sorrow for all those innocent people who have been despicably murdered showed to me that there is still much love in this world.

I feel closer to America than I have ever done so before. Many commentators have said that the world will never be the same again. I am sure this is true but one way in which it will be better is the closer bonding which will be shared between the USA and UK.

God Bless America!

PilotsPal
16th Sep 2001, 13:14
As I work quite close to St Paul's, I decided to go along on Friday morning. By the time I got into the City at 9.30, almost all the places in the cathedral had gone so I stood outside, along with just about every US citizen who lives and works in London and could get there.

Standing outside the west front in bright sunshine, surrounded by thousands of people in complete silence. It was extraordinarily moving.

heloplt
16th Sep 2001, 19:00
Head bowed, heart strong, moved beyond words when I saw the UK event and the Berlin gathering of 200,000 people who share in our loss. Maybe this is the start of a better world...Lord knows, I pray those people did not die in vain. Americans are grateful for your sympathy and show of support, this one sure is.

Loki
16th Sep 2001, 22:23
I had to listen to the sevice from St Pauls on the car radio whilst inbound to an afternoon duty,and I agree with all the preceeding remarks. The Last night of the Proms was rather moving too, the jingoistic bit being replaced by the choral part of Beethovens 9th.