PDA

View Full Version : Wet motoring

tropppo
29th Jan 2009, 08:36
HI !!

Can someone tell me if it's legally authorized to wet crank a turboprop in an opened doors hangar ????

Thanks

lee van chief
29th Jan 2009, 09:39
Hi

Not sure about the legality, but probably not a good idea to have a cloud of fuel vapour near to or inside the hangar. Take an extra few minutes and drag it outside.

Miles Gustaph
29th Jan 2009, 11:57
I would suggest that rather than an issue of illegality it's probably more of an issue, of what your hangar insurance will cover you for, and good old health and safety...

Connaught
29th Jan 2009, 13:36
done it on a dash with, with and without the ignitors on:ugh:

works better with them off if your wondering

legalities???? no idea, but in a maintenance atmosphere sometimes it needs to be done

tropppo
29th Jan 2009, 14:35
Thanks guys for your opinions....
I wasn't expecting answers so quickly...

gubaclagan
31st Jan 2009, 13:44
Fuel vapor emitting is likely dangerous than that of a liquified avgas. Just bear in mind, static and live electricity is all over the place. Safety, property and lives must not be compromised. :ok:

dixi188
9th Feb 2009, 11:46
I remember doing Dry and Wet motor on DC10 in hangar 5 at Gatwick. we had shop air supply for A/C pneumatics.

Also I did an idle run on a BAC 1-11 inside a new hangar at Muscat that had not had the doors fitted yet.

Don't think I would do either now though with modern H&S police.

WOTME?
9th Feb 2009, 12:09
I was on Omani 1-11's 83-92.

dixi188
9th Feb 2009, 12:48
WOTME, see PM.

Perrin
11th Feb 2009, 12:25
Did dry motoring with Loganair as the hyd rig broke down and landing gear checks were due, also on F406 at Prestwick when there was no rig ,worked quite well both times. Wet motoring would not be done now with all the H&S stuff,:= we live in a PC world.
Keep them up boys.

Short_Circuit
14th Feb 2009, 01:20
Capt Zoom once lit up an RB211-D4 in the D chk hangar docking doing a spin long long time ago.:}

vascani
14th Feb 2009, 15:52
Why bother hooking up the tug and dragging the thing bhack into the hangar when you can coast right on in.

It was rolling forward under its own steam and then to do the right thing the engines were shut down just as it was approaching the hangar. Unfortunatelythe elex pumps were off, and when the engines were shut down oops no hydraulics.

fortunately the accumulator was fully charged!