PDA

View Full Version : TC to SA CAA ATPL

readbackincorrect
29th Jan 2009, 00:46
Gooday folks
I am currently a Canadian ATPL and flight instructor in canada and I would like to know what I need to do to convert my license to a SA CAA ATPL. So far I know i will need to do a flight test( which we dont do up here in canada for the our ATPL for some reason or other) and study up my SA air law and procedures. Any clues how these 2 tests go? if ppl have had prior experience converting, study guides, input greatly appreciated.

Cheers

sky waiter
29th Jan 2009, 15:19
As far as i understand, you would need to write all 14 subjects to convert your ATPL. If you wish to validate your licence, you will only need to write your airlaw and to the flight test. I think the current legislation says it would need to be on a multi crew turbine. Validation only allows you to operate the types on your licence,no conversions or new types can be added.

This is what it used to be like before part 61, as it keeps changing, (version 33) now i am not sure. Best would be to contact CAA Website (http://www.caa.co.za) or a local flying school who would be more up to date with current requirements.

Good luck!!!:ok:

Taxidriver009
4th Feb 2009, 01:17
Everything you need for validation is listed in AIC 30-7
If you want to convert, see Vol 2 (Regulations) of the Act, Part 61, par 61.01.14

Above available on CAA website:

CAA Website (http://www.caa.co.za/)

Tabs on left of page leading to "AIC's" and "Act and regulations".

Gooneybird
5th Feb 2009, 03:58
For an ATPL conversion it's just the MET and Flight planning exams (ATP).

Der absolute Hammer
5th Feb 2009, 04:15
You should download Part 61. 61.01.14. print it out and then read it in the bath.
Perhaps you should read what it says about converting a validation. (para24) and also what it says about allowing South African citizens to convert foreign licences (para 2).
Note that there is a very difference between validate and convert.
Let me tell you right now that there is no confusion at CAA. They are operating really quite well. The exact wording of Part 61 is being adopted with no flexiility so that within Part 61, everyone knows precisely where they stand.
For instance....
If you go to 61.07.7.(1)
The holder of a ATPL shall undergo a revalidation check within 12 months.....

This is why, although your ATPL is valid for ten years, it will be stamped on the ratings page that it is valid for one year.
There used to be no specific check ride for an ATPL renewal, the IR renewal covered that. Now, in theory I guess(?) you do not need an IR for an ATPL to be valid - but that is pretty much an academic thing?