PDA

View Full Version : ZGZ Chieftain report released

VH-XXX
29th Jan 2009, 00:21
Hot off the press from 2 days ago.

200606530 (http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2006/AAIR/aair200606530.aspx)

Reasonably experienced pilot with "safety" pilot next to him.

The finger looks to be pointed somewhat towards the auto pilot or control failure of some kind.

the wizard of auz
29th Jan 2009, 00:30
A few pretty big hills around that part of the world from memory. not one of my favorite places to do a let down. :eek:

Howard Hughes
29th Jan 2009, 00:54
The dark and very likely cloudy conditions that existed in the area where the aircraft suddenly diverged from its flight path meant that recovery to normal flight could only have been achieved by sole reference to the aircraft's flight instruments. The difficulty associated with such a task when the aircraft was in a steep descent was likely to have been significant.
Surely a situation that all IFR rated pilots should be able to deal/cope with?

strim
29th Jan 2009, 03:35
I would have thought the right engine problems warrented a little further analysis??

And the fuel situation isn't explored much at all. 2 test flights and numerous ground runs would suck a fair % out of 305 litres, you'd need about 300 litres at take off to arrive with FR intact. No mention of fuel quantity prior to refuelling. Even if it had about 130 litres (FR) prior to 305 added, there is still a small margin for error there, and with a level change and weather to contend with, mixtures may have been rich for quite some time in the cruise. I realise there was a fire, but can anyone explain what makes a fire significant, and how they can tell if plenty of fuel was there or it isn't just aircraft components burning?

Maybe an outboard went dry, autopilot holding roll input, pilot disconnect AP, engine surges back online...roll/yaw follows??

Am I being too harsh, or does anyone else expect a little more from a report than simply stating what happened?

morno
29th Jan 2009, 03:44
Strim,
As I'm sure you're aware, the role of the ATSB is to report the facts only, and not to speculate. Therefore, it would be wrong of them to put anything like that in the report.

morno

strim
29th Jan 2009, 03:56
Morno good point, and I know that's exactly what a report is meant to do. I just find it sad that with so many of these accidents we never find out what actually happened.

Howard Hughes
29th Jan 2009, 04:37
Morno, isn't my quote from the report exactly that, speculation?

morno
29th Jan 2009, 05:15
Good point HH, perhaps it shouldn't be in there then, :confused:.

Strim, agreed. It is sad that we will never know exactly what happened. Probably another of the sadest accidents that I can think of in recent times where there doesn't seem to be any answers what so ever, is the Baron (rego escapes me) that went in near McArthur River Mine a few years ago.

I am yet to read the entire report, but I was most disappointed, but yet not surprised to see this from CASA, "CASA believes that the safety regulator's focus should be on passenger carrying operations". So does that mean that they don't give a stuff about anyone other than Airlines and Charter operators?

morno

VH-XXX
29th Jan 2009, 05:55
Whilst we are speculating, I'd be interested to know whether it was a consistent turn to the left and a consistent spiral dive based on what they have of radar paints.

A gentle spiral dive, ending in a fast one, doesn't sound at all like a loss of control, but more like incapacitation, but they attempted to cover that with the comments on the passenger being as good as qualified for the purposes of identifying a spiral dive as such and being able to fly this aircraft.

I would like to know more about the recorded track as you'd think that with a loss of control due to autopilot of control jamming that there would be erratic altitude and headings recorded and not just a gradual left turn or whatever the report said.

I also don't understand why they didn't call center, given that they were in close contact with them by the sounds of it. That doesn't make sense. Pilot incapacitation would be a culprit, but surely the passenger would have called for assistance? It's not making much sense unless they somehow all became incapacitated.

Surely and I say that surely they would have noticed they were descending into a spiral dive if the auto pilot came off?

Capt Fathom
29th Jan 2009, 06:51
Whilst we are speculating

We weren't!

That seems to be your department :=

ForkTailedDrKiller
29th Jan 2009, 07:16
I suspect that anyone who has been around a bit, and knows the whole story here, can figure out what most likely occurred!

Lots of lessons to be learned!

Dr :8

solocmv
29th Jan 2009, 07:44
Hello All,

Ok FTD.

For those just on the way up, who one could argue need all the lessons we can get.

What are the 'real facts and what did happen' and more importantly what are these lessons of which you speak ? O learned one.

Cheers,
Solocmv

tipsy2
29th Jan 2009, 07:59
Read carefully the whole report. Not just selected bit and pieces, the whole thing.

The story is there, it just might take a bit of experience to find and understand it.

tipsy

VH-XXX
29th Jan 2009, 09:17
Sorry for speculating, however I don't have the years behind me or the local knowledge so I'm not in a position to know the behind-the-scenes facts.... :ouch: After a re-read a few things stand out regarding non-mechanical issues. Enough said from me.