PDA

View Full Version : Phantom over the Falkland 1990

Deleted
28th Jan 2009, 17:25
Don't know why below has ended up being sent to me but grateful to anyone who could help a fellow aviator. Complete technophob so I have not managed to publish the picture. The photo is of a Phantom F4,the aircraft has 'D' on the tail plane, the guy who has sent the picture was in a C130. Anyone got any info?

Ta :)

'Grateful if you could forward the attached picture taken over the Falklands Islands on 27th April 1990, during the first flight over the islands after the war, when we were on an Aeromed operation in Base Marambio.

The commander of said flight was Group Captain Jorge Peralta Monti, (deceased) and I was the first navigator and managed to take the picture.

I would like to know if it is possible to contact that Air Squadron and ask for the picture taken by the Phantom Navigator, and also to contact them by email.'

Melba23
28th Jan 2009, 18:30
Deleted,

They did not fly "over" the islands. My nav and I got airborne on a very snowy day and kept them a certain distance away! Looking at the pictures my nav took of of the C-130 as I type.

PM me with an e-mail and I will get in touch. I would very much like to exchange our respective memories (and photos) of that day.

Once the Argentinean C-130 was off to the south, I ended up behind our C-130 tanker to refuel and his hose wound out and fell off! Fortunately MPA got a small clearance hole, ATC swept a short strip into the short runway cable (PUAG?) and we got back with "some" fuel left.

Quite a day.

M23

On_The_Top_Bunk
28th Jan 2009, 21:38
Not the one you mean but one from the same time period. I posted this on another thread from a few I took in 1990 in MPA. It's a scan from a 5"x7" so not the best quality but still have the negs.

http://www.asmh37.dsl.pipex.com/p1.jpg

frodo_monkey
29th Jan 2009, 07:38
BLAH BLAH BLAH (jet) ! ;)

Deleted
29th Jan 2009, 08:40
Frodo, you fishing!!! :)

im from uranus
29th Jan 2009, 08:50
OTTB

Have sent you a PM.

BlackIsle
29th Jan 2009, 12:56
Optical illusion? (or I need eyesight tested) - but the picture angle and light combine to make the aircraft look bent from nose to tail!

sunshine band
29th Jan 2009, 19:03
The updated "D for Desperation" from my time down there a couple of years ago...

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo116/sband/IMG5700red-1.jpg

SB

soddim
29th Jan 2009, 19:40
Have to say the updated D for desperate is nothing like the real thing this thread is about. It lacks character, has no vices and was never built to be a fighter. Nice picture though.

Snapshot
29th Jan 2009, 19:57
Pablo of GW1 fame and letting football star on flight deck 'infamous' fame
once said some very true words to me!
He said quote "If a blind man was let alone in a hanger with a 'Tomb' in it and was allowed to feel it, touch it and basically get to know its lines, he would tell you it was a killer!" Enough said! Sex on burners!
"Rolling down the runway, throttles opened wide..."

fergineer
29th Jan 2009, 23:21
Melba23 If the basket falling off was July3 88 then I was the FE in the tanker.....not a pleasant thing to happen that was for sure especially for the loady down the back with the HDU running amok until me and the Nav got it switched off. Seem to remember you landed just before us as we took the fast turn off and abandoned ship. If it was you thanks for the drinks.

alwayslookingup
30th Jan 2009, 04:52
OTOH was there not a US Admiral who, upon seeing his first example rolling out of the hangar, exclaimed "Jeez, they built it upside down!"

Not my view, I hasten to ad. Spent '68 to '74 as a kid at Coningsby, loved the Phantom then, still do. What a warbird.

BTW On the Top Bunk, that's a sensational photo, but I echo BlackIsle's comment, to me it looks like its climbing at about 45 degrees

Phantom Driver
30th Jan 2009, 14:15
Spent '68 to '74 as a kid at Coningsby, loved the Phantom then, still do. What a warbird.

Now you're talking. Brings tears to my eyes.....

Yarpy
30th Jan 2009, 15:41
Pablo of GW1 fame

Did he get himself sorted out after the Scaretours fracas?

glad rag
30th Jan 2009, 15:56
Have to say the updated D for desperate is nothing like the real thing this thread is about. It lacks character, has no vices and was never built to be a fighter. Nice picture though.

As we linies would chant as the decrepit, corroded heaps would smoke overhead,

"Phantom, Phantom in the sky, living proof that **** can fly" :suspect:

alwayslookingup
30th Jan 2009, 18:06
Phantom Driver

Your dead right there mate. Tried to send you a PM but you've declined the option. If you mean by your post you were at Coningsgrad at that time PM me if you wish to reminisce for a minute or two. We must have names & memories in common.

ALU

soddim
30th Jan 2009, 18:30
Hey, Gladrag, love the banter. The 'sh*t' did fly and it was a man's aeroplane. Did what it said on the box in spades and handled like a real pedigree - bite you if you screwed up. The sale of many thousands to satisfied customers and that it is still in front line service testifies to the success of the Phantom. The first fighter in RAF service to have a truly world-beating multi-role capability and the first AD fighter to have a real look-down shoot-down capability. Guess if you were a techie you hated it because it was an unfriendly beast to engineers but best thing you could do was keep it on the line and let us aircrew keep it in the air because there it was in its' element.

Even after we tried to ruin it by providing jobs for British industry it still worked well - now there's a testament to a good product!

johnfairr
30th Jan 2009, 19:16
Can't say fairer than that, great resume of the F4. No matter how many hours one has on it . . . . . :ok:

airborne_artist
30th Jan 2009, 19:49
The first fighter in RAF service to have a truly world-beating multi-role capability

Not quite - beaten to it by the Mosquito, I think you'll find :8