PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Interested in Shipping Movements?

parabellum
28th Jan 2009, 10:30
The aviation content is that satellites are used to track the vessels!

Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions (http://marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?zoom=10&mmsi=477520300&centerx=-5.38295&centery=36.0145)

(Sorry if it has been here before).

tony draper
28th Jan 2009, 10:48
Not sure that is a good idea,won't the Hun be able to track our Battle Ships?:rolleyes:

eastern wiseguy
28th Jan 2009, 10:55
That is a very useful site. From my kitchen window I look out over Belfast Lough. Nice to see what they are and where they are going(almost like being at work):)

tony draper
28th Jan 2009, 11:01
I used to use it to watch ships approaching or leaving the Tyne then follow them up or down the river with the Tyne webcams I say used to because the link to the webcams has disappeared sadly.
:(

Kolibear
28th Jan 2009, 11:34
A very interesting site!

I noticed that HMS Belfast isn't shown moored next to Tower Bridge, I assume she is transponder-less and that lead me on to Portsmouth, Devonport & Rosyth. Either The Grey Funnel line is also not responding, they are out playing somewhere or..... we no longer have a Navy.

Is there an aviation equivalent site?

Georgeablelovehowindia
28th Jan 2009, 11:45
It's interesting to see that the Horn of Africa isn't covered, but the Gulf is, so it's still of some use to the Somali hijackers. :suspect:

Mariner9
28th Jan 2009, 12:31
The hijackers dont need the web. Their boats all have AIS receivers installed.

Foss
28th Jan 2009, 12:34
Eastern
Where abouts are you onto looking the lough from? I haven't asked you that before have I?

Dee747
28th Jan 2009, 13:00
Eastern/Foss,

For even more detail on what's tootling up and down the lough, check out ShipAIS- Watching the boats go by. (http://www.shipais.com). It starts on Liverpool docks, but by zooming out and moving to this side of the sheugh you can see what's in Belfast docks, including the Stena Discovery languishing at the keyside and the Resolution in picking up the latest batch of H&W windfarm kit.

Seriously good fun when tracking the old cruise liners visiting Belfast during the summer.

airship
28th Jan 2009, 13:27
The hijackers dont need the web. Their boats all have AIS receivers installed. A poignant remark. One presumes though, that AIS can be (and often is), disabled by vessels going through certain sea areas (not sure about the legality though):

1) As a collision-avoidance system, there is probably little advantage in using AIS outside of mainly coastal areas where large numbers of vessels share a limited sea area. Whilst AIS could be considered an important safety-aid in areas such as the English channel or certain Straits, where there is significant localised traffic crossing shipping lanes for example, the farther offshore you are, the less AIS assures safety and instead, becomes a spy.

2) There should be little doubt that AIS was instigated in the wake of the declaration of the general GWB-inspired war on terrorism. First and foremost, it allows governments to directly monitor the continuous movements of all vessels over a certain size within their waters 'in real-time'. Perhaps 'Big Brother' considers that the advantages of the AIS in these areas outweigh the disadvantages when their flag-state vessels ply waters prone to attack by pirates?

3) Can you imagine all those foreign (mainly Spanish and French-operated) tuna-boats plying the Indian Ocean 'just outside of Somali waters' with their AIS "ON"...?! (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7845173.stm) :rolleyes: Whose catches have been reduced by 50% recently. Is that why so many nations have finally sent warships to the area? Not to combat piracy per se, but in some modern combat reminiscent of the 'cod wars' between UK and Iceland 30 years ago...?!

Only, unless I'm much mistaken, Somalia (and their pirates - recently converted ex. fishermen apparently), could earn far more from granting licences if not actually catching tuna with their own fleets within their 200 mile economic zone and farther afield, than they do by pirating foreign vessels for give or take $100 million annually...?!

Or am I somehow confusing dolphin-friendly tuna with Oussama Bin Laden-friendly tuna...?! :uhoh:

Flap 5
28th Jan 2009, 13:49
Is there such a detailed site for aircraft?

Foss
28th Jan 2009, 13:52
Dee747
That's the website I would use. It is of limited use, but by 'eck, taking a look at the Folkestone area, bit busy.
It is interesting to see mussel dredgers and the fishing boats at work.

StaceyF
28th Jan 2009, 15:13
Couldn't find a single passenger ship anywhere between Dover and Calais? :eek:

And yet there are probably two P&O and one SeaFrance on the water at any given time.

Not sure how accurate the site is?

Mariner9
28th Jan 2009, 15:43
One presumes though, that AIS can be (and often is), disabled by vessels going through certain sea areas (not sure about the legality though):

Yes it can be. It can also set to "lie" about your position (though the maximum offset is only 5 miles and a VLCC is generally visible at 5 miles. Of course employing any of these tactics could increase your chances of collision, of which insurers would take a dim view :ok:

There should be little doubt that AIS was instigated in the wake of the declaration of the general GWB-inspired war on terrorism. First and foremost, it allows governments to directly monitor the continuous movements of all vessels over a certain size within their waters 'in real-time'. Perhaps 'Big Brother' considers that the advantages of the AIS in these areas outweigh the disadvantages when their flag-state vessels ply waters prone to attack by pirates?

Absolutely correct :D

Out Of Trim
28th Jan 2009, 17:40
Is there an aviation equivalent site?

Yes in fact; although they're moving a bit quicker!

Try Open ATC - It works best if you have Google Earth installed

openATC (http://www.openatc.com/)

It works off the ADSB transponders and uplinked by spotters with the correct kit.

axefurabz
28th Jan 2009, 18:46
Well, I've looked and looked but I can't find my Volvo race entry. Have I sunk?:eek: