PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Miller's itinerary

XV490
28th Jan 2009, 09:33
Can anyone point me to a list of military venues where Glenn Miller and his orchestra played in the UK, prior to his untimely death in Dec 1944?

I know a list - handwritten by Miller - of USAAF venues was reproduced in Airfields of the Eighth - Then and Now, but I left my copy in the USA some years back, and want to check some dates. Is there a more definitive itinerary anywhere online?

StbdD
28th Jan 2009, 11:06
I don't know if it contains an itinerary but Geoffey Butcher wrote a 360 page book on the topic.

Title: Next to a Letter From Home: Major Glenn Miller's Wartime Band

Publisher: Edinburgh Mainstream Publishing 1986
ISBN Number: 1851580255 / 9781851580255

Available online via Eastridingbooks.co.uk

Good luck!

T-21
28th Jan 2009, 13:32
After The Battle published a good book called "Glen Miller Then & Now" lists all the base concerts he did and covers his disapperance . The UC-64 44-70285 was silver not camouflaged as widely stated in books and art . This series left the factory in silver finish.

forget
28th Jan 2009, 13:59
Here's 1944 GLENN (http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/digger_luke/glenn.htm)

Didn't someone discover (about 10 years ago) maintenace log books which showed that UC-64 44-70285 was operating in Canada long after the war. :hmm:

XV490
28th Jan 2009, 17:32
Thanks for the info...

I wonder how accurate the online listing is - I understood the band played at Parham, not Podington as stated, on 23rd August 1944 (for the 200th mission party of the 390th Bomb Group).

My main aim is to confirm whether or not Glenn Miller played at Sudbury (Suffolk) airfield - although I suspect not. There seems to be a good deal of confusion over the venues; for example, some publications and online sources say the band appeared at Earls Colne (323BG), which has never been confirmed.

BEagle
28th Jan 2009, 19:02
I know a list - handwritten by Miller - of USAAF venues was reproduced in Airfields of the Eighth - Then and Now

The list is on page 112 of the book.

It does not include Sudbury or Earls Colne; however, the entries for 23-8-44 show Podington and Framlingham. Framlingham was also known as Parham (Station 153).

forget
28th Jan 2009, 19:11
Great Ashfield and the 385th Bomb Group. The Glen Miller Band and the Windmill Girls were present at the party to celebrate the 200th mission of the Group in October 1944.

Local USAAF commemorative associations (http://www.stedmundsbury.gov.uk/sebc/visit/warbases-commassoc.cfm)

...... and no mention of Glenn Miller at Sudbury.

XV490
28th Jan 2009, 19:53
BEagle - thanks for the info from Miller's own list. It looks like 23/8/44 may have been a 'double gig' for the band at Parham and Podington.

I know the musicians were flown into Parham on a pair or trio of B-17s (uncomfortable, if you were a trombonist in a ball-turret). So the planes may well have then carried the guys on to Podington for a later appearance.

Doubtless the romance and mythology surrounding Glenn Miller have led to some inflated claims as to where the band played during its short UK intinerary - and today's replies have helped me put things into perspective. So thanks to you all.