PDA

View Full Version : Mobile/Cell phones safe?

con-pilot
27th Jan 2009, 19:17
Watch this and tell me.

Dailymotion - Pop Corn téléphone portable micro-ondes, a video from sassiere. pop, corne, corn, popcorn, complot (http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/portable/video/x5odhh_pop-corn-telephone-portable-microon_news)

Checkboard
27th Jan 2009, 19:20
I haven't watched it ... but if it shows 4 phones around a piece of corn which pops - do you actually believe it's real?

Cell Phone Popcorn Hoax Revealed. - Video (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1399627/cell_phone_popcorn_hoax_revealed/)

Do you try and open car doors with tennis balls?

BlooMoo
27th Jan 2009, 19:27
Just tried it with a few mates round using six phones and my daughter's hamster in the middle. 'Hammy' seemed fine:confused: Course that was on a glass table, maybe there's something in the glass that absorbs all the rays...

StaceyF
27th Jan 2009, 19:27
I prefer placing a mobile near to a CRT monitor or a set of speakers........

con-pilot
27th Jan 2009, 19:38
I haven't watched it ... but if it shows 4 phones around a piece of corn which pops - do you actually believe it's real?

Watch it before you dismiss it. Three different groups of people, speaking three different languages, three difference places with more than one piece of popcorn. from four to six pieces I do believe.

If it is a fake, I would really like to know how it was done. Cause I'd like to pull off that trick.

Parapunter
27th Jan 2009, 19:43
They have magicians abroad Con. Face it, you got conned.:}

con-pilot
27th Jan 2009, 19:45
Face it, you got conned :}

If so, I want to know how it was done! :{

(I can see right now I'm going to wasting a lot of popcorn. :\)

Parapunter
27th Jan 2009, 19:48
post #2...

Loose rivets
27th Jan 2009, 19:54
It is seriously, seriously silly to mess with the inside of a microwave...even if the darn thing is unplugged. (A component failure might mean a capacitor remains charged.)

There's a HARD 4,000 volts in a typical microwave. It will reach out and kill you...stone dead.

Mind you, the film of running wire to a magnetron left me a little non-plussed. Perhaps, but I'd want the wires in a very thick PAIR of conduits.

con-pilot
27th Jan 2009, 19:56
That wasn't there a minute ago. :uhoh:

Hum, don't think I'd like a bloody unshielded microwave device under the table where I was sitting. :eek:

I'll not try that trick.

Thanks Parapunter and Checkboard. :ok:

Checkboard
27th Jan 2009, 20:05
Sorry about that - perhaps I should have addid it as a separate post, rather than an edit :) Thought I was fast enough to get away with it. :(

SpringHeeledJack
27th Jan 2009, 20:54
I would agree with the posters who suggest it foolhardy to 'tinker' with your microwave, even with the benefit of knowledge :uhoh:

My father was in a hospital ward for several weeks after an operation and in the next bed was a young salesman who had a large cancerous growth behind his right ear. It turns out that this chap was addicted to his mobile phone and spent 4 hours a day yakking on the phone as he was on the road a lot. It started out that he had headaches (even when he hadn't had a drink) and felt woosey, and this developed into gradual incapacitation and hospital.

I chatted with the consultant outside the ward and asked him if it was possible to link the overuse of mobile phonage and this growth. He said that in his experience and opinion there was enough evidence to suggest that it was so.

The salesman....? Oh he was yakking away for more than 3 hours per day on the ward using his left ear, even though he was now deaf in the right ear and there was a gaping hole in his head. Some people never learn, tis a pity that there wasn't some popcorn in his head :rolleyes:

In case you want to see how much your shell like is absorbing from your phone SARVALUES -- (http://www.sarvalues.com/index.html) However, if you're in ze car, underground, in a building or if you 'smother' the aerial with your banana like fingers, then add in a lot more absorbtion.

regards

SHJ

BlooMoo
27th Jan 2009, 22:36
or if you 'smother' the aerial with your banana like fingers

I'm sorry, but that phrase makes me think of this (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hs5_3SnVB64),

Sorry again.

OFSO
28th Jan 2009, 09:56
As an engineer, I was taught there is NO safe level to radiation. Someone somewhere will always be affected.

Incidently I didn't realise one could talk thru a mobile phone ;-)

The ones I see are always used for texting, in Spain frequently by a bloke pedalling an unlit bike thru the streets late at night.....

R

Captain Cinders
28th Jan 2009, 16:44
'...no safe level....'

As an Engineer, how about using some of your inquiring engineering skills to determine the correctness of that statement? If it was me I would first qualify what is meant by 'radiation' because straight away it can be divided into ionizing and non-ionixing - each of which has very different effects. Then, assuming your teacher was talking about non-ionizing ratiation, how about investigating the effects of different frequencies of biological matter - human, popcorn or otherwise - as, for example, the effect of non-ionizing radiation at 'light' frequencies is much different to those at 'microwave' frequencies - let alone the effect at 2.4GHz on the hydrogen bond of a water molecule. Then - and this is only a suggestion - you may wish to look at the numerous investigations done on the potential health effects of non-ionizing radiation and the 'safe' levels laid down by the NRPB (National Radiological Protection Board). Assuming that we a limiting the discussion to the non-ionizing radion produced by mobile phones, you can then look up the frequencies of operation, and the maximum power power outputs (not forgetting to take into account the efficiency of the antenna to determine the ERP) and therefore the likely radiation levels at differing distances from the mobile. Finally, recognising that there is no field of human activity which can be described as truly safe, you can apply some principles such as the likelihood of occurrence and the magnitude of regret in order to come to your own judgement of what can be described as an unsafe level of radiation.:ok:

BombayDuck
28th Jan 2009, 17:45
As an engineer, I was taught there is NO safe level to radiation

You don't go out in the sun, do you? ;)

Loose rivets
28th Jan 2009, 18:17
I wonder if they let their phones get in the 'beam' from the magnetron.

KiloDeltaYankee
28th Jan 2009, 20:57
The popcorn and egg videos are well documented fakes :

snopes.com: Cooking an Egg or Popcorn with Cell Phones (http://www.snopes.com/science/cookegg.asp)

Modern cellphones have a maximum transmit power of arround 1W on a frequency in the range of 800-900 MHz or 2.1 GHz depending on the country and technology.

The microwave oven in your kitchen has a transmit power of around 800 to 1000 W and is tuned to the resonant frequency of water around 2.5 GHz.

In summary the heating effect of talking on your phone is very low...a fraction of a degree. Nothing to worry about...there are bigger changes in temperature moving in and out of the sun.

KDY

Dushan
28th Jan 2009, 22:58
Hate to break it to you con-pilot, but the popcorn stuff is a fake. Apparently put out by a manufacturer of, are you ready, cell phone headsets. A slight bias there I think. As to how it was done, who knows. I suspect either just heat, or a montage of popcorn popping in a microwave, superimposed on the footage of the techno geeks sitting around. Another scotch?

con-pilot
28th Jan 2009, 23:33
Hate to break it to you con-pilot, but the popcorn stuff is a fake. Apparently put out by a manufacturer of, are you ready, cell phone headsets. A slight bias there I think. As to how it was done, who knows. I suspect either just heat, or a montage of popcorn popping in a microwave, superimposed on the footage of the techno geeks sitting around. Another scotch?

My friend I would like to refer you to posts number 2 and 10. I was conned, however, I was not consuming Scotch at the time I started this thread, if I had been I would have been much more suspicious. :p

Dushan
28th Jan 2009, 23:43
Do you actually expect me to read each and every post in a 17 post thread on JB? In R&N, yes. There you can't afford to blurt something out without being whacked, but here - please.

Touche about the Scotch...

con-pilot
28th Jan 2009, 23:48
Do you actually expect me to read each and every post in a 17 post thread on JB? In R&N, yes. There you can't afford to blurt something out without being whacked, but here - please.

I stand corrected and ashamed. :(

(But I'd feel better if you'd buy me a beer, I'll buy you one back. :ok:)

Dushan
29th Jan 2009, 00:13
(But I'd feel better if you'd buy me a beer, I'll buy you one back. )

Sure I will. What's the name of the bar in Qingdao that we are meeting in?

con-pilot
29th Jan 2009, 01:06
What's the name of the bar in Qingdao that we are meeting in?

Easiest place I can think of is the 'Q Bar' in the Shanghi-La Hotel, everybody knows where that is. Not as nice as the 'Long Bar', but it will do until we find a better place.