PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerator Power Consumption

OFSO
27th Jan 2009, 19:34
The time has arrived (i.e. our not-so-old B*sch has rusted thru on the front and side) when a new fridge is called for. It's going to be, like the old one, about 2 metres tall by 60x60 cms.

Looking around the supermarkets I can't believe how wildly the quoted power consumptions vary - from around 250Kw per year to over 400Kw per year, and this with same size fridges and same features.

Not surprisingly the very cheap models from the far east use a lot more power than the premium German models, but even the latter exhibit huge differences: the lowest power consumption was a Siemens and the second highest was also a Siemens.

So can one attach any significance to these "rated values" or has some spotty M M employee stuck the nearest sign he could find on a 'fridge ?

Incidently the stainless steel/aluminum/silver fridges here in Spain cost the same or only a very small amount more than a white one, which I didn't expect.

R

candyjob34
20th Aug 2010, 07:54
Why don't you try the Samsung RF266AEWP? It is good and very much tested and relatively affordable for a French-door model compared to other.

OFSO
20th Aug 2010, 10:52
Thanks. But my post was made 20 months ago, and a very large Siemens has been whirring (and sometimes groaning, and occasionally making knocking sounds) in the kitchen since February 2009......

HKPAX
20th Aug 2010, 14:41
Very gratifying to hear that your Siemens are ok OFSO. Mine are good too.

Storminnorm
20th Aug 2010, 14:45
Liebherr, Mein Gott!!! Liebherr.

Loose rivets
20th Aug 2010, 15:36
250Kw per year to over 400Kw per year,

Wassat sposed to mean?

When helping a mate with attic wiring in a 1940s house, I was detecting 800w going somewhere. Everything in the house was off. Panic.

I said, that's about the consumption of a big fridge...or freezer.

Finally, after ages, pal said he'd got a freezer in the garage.:ugh:

So, 800w, while on, sticks in me mind.

So, the old question. If a fridge is left in a room with the door open, will the room get hotter, stay the same, or get cooler? Answers on a postcard please.

OFSO
20th Aug 2010, 15:48
Obvious really: thieves will enter through the open door and steal the fridge !

txdmy1
20th Aug 2010, 16:06
was a question in my 'O' level Physics exam, answer = hotter

mixture
20th Aug 2010, 17:15
around 250Kw per year to over 400Kw per year

OSFO,

A difference of 150Kw per year ??

How much do you pay per kWh if 150 units is such a big deal ?

It's probably cheaper for you to pay the tiny amount of extra electricity than it would be to buy the more economical model !

bnt
20th Aug 2010, 18:11
I think you all mean kWh per year, not kW. You're billed by the total energy in kWh, while kW is the rate of energy usage. So 800kWH per year, at (say) 10p per kWH, means that it would cost 80 per year to run. That's only an estimate, of course, since there are all kinds of variables e.g. leaving the door open or putting in hot food would be a Bad Thing.

Pugilistic Animus
20th Aug 2010, 18:21
unless the condenser is outside then all of the heat taken form the room, will be placed back into the room via the condenser as the device tries to refrigerate the space--so I guess the room stays the same temp only with lots of wasted energy but no net change in conditions--- like marriage:}

Loose rivets
20th Aug 2010, 18:47
I think you all mean kWh per year, not kW. You're billed by the total energy in kWh, while kW is the rate of energy usage.

That's what I wuz getting at.:ok:

Okay, okay, it's the fridge's door that's left open. And yes, the room will get hotter.

BTW Folks, DON'T ever, never, not no-how, clean a stainless fridge with stainless steel cleaner. My son did, on his new Gargantuan Americana Special, and it left smears in the lacquer that they seal it with. I spent a good hunk of a day with a T-Cut type stuff, getting it back to fairly good.

G-CPTN
20th Aug 2010, 18:58
Knackered lacquer?

Used to add lustre to your cluster did knacker lacquer . . .

OFSO
20th Aug 2010, 20:43
BTW Folks, DON'T ever, never, not no-how, clean a stainless fridge with stainless steel cleaner

Strange, we do, well, the upstairs staff do, and we've had no problems. The bits that are stainless steel are just that, not sealed at all. Nice and shiny, polish up well, we give it to the younger maid to do. At 18, she has plenty of enthusiasm.

Problem we do have is icing inside, maybe one of the two fans is not doing its job.

Anyway my original post was over a year ago and I HAVE LOST ALL INTEREST IN THE SUBJECT NOW so lets wind matters up and go and talk about bare-breasted ATM thieves, much more interesting.....

tony draper
20th Aug 2010, 20:53
the Fridge was origionally invented as a cure for Malaria.
Not many people know that.:)
I remember that from James Burke's Television Documentary series Connections,watched int olden days on 14 inch black and white 405 line HD TV

SoulManBand
20th Aug 2010, 20:58
so lets wind matters up and go and talk about bare-breasted ATM thieves, much more interesting.....

And even more interesting if the fridge door was open...

hellsbrink
20th Aug 2010, 21:18
Anyway my original post was over a year ago and I HAVE LOST ALL INTEREST IN THE SUBJECT NOW so lets wind matters up and go and talk about bare-breasted ATM thieves, much more interesting.....

Now now, OFSO, you know that this is Jet Blast and that means that the matter will not be put to rest so easily, especially when there are still questions that have to be answered.

Questions like

Why did this thread suddenly appear after 20 months, did someone do a search for threads about refrigerator power consumption when other, more normal, people would be looking for threads about bare-breasted atm thieves preparing themselves by standing in front of a refrigerator with the door open (ideally with pics)! Why did this happen, we must be told!!

Sir George Cayley
20th Aug 2010, 22:25
I'll pay a $ to see that:ok:

Sir George (our first was a Kelvinator) Cayley

Loose rivets
20th Aug 2010, 23:37
I think you'll find that these days, most 'Stainless' kit is sprayed in much the same way as a car's clear coat.

I gained this gem from the lady that answered the phone in the cleaner fluid company. She didn't have to refer to anything or anyone, mine was no doubt the zillionth call she'd fielded.

Here, fridges often 'Convey' and ours came with the house. Love it. Couldn't open the door, but loved it anyway. Vacuum, you understand.

A small tube taped across the seal at the top took most of the tugging away.

Don't know why I said that...I'd intended to drift to fridge magnets. While the Rivetess is away, I strip it bare...Oooo Missuss!

OFSO
21st Aug 2010, 11:41
Now now, OFSO, you know that this is Jet Blast

OK, Hellsbrink, quite right, so lets try to steer this thread gently in the direction of Friday Jokes.

What does an Irishman do when he wants some money from an ATM ? Stands in front of the fridge with the door open.

(Make what you will of that.)

tony draper
21st Aug 2010, 12:03
Stopped using my ATM card, one can never get near the machine for queues of Eastern Europeans guys drawing out cash,strange thing, their cards are blank,gonna see if I can get one of those plain white cards like theirs with no writing on em.
:rolleyes: