PDA

View Full Version : Why does most everyone call me Mr.Thunder?

Rollingthunder
27th Jan 2009, 17:38
I don't mind at all, but at work I'm called David or sir and out in public "Sir".
I very very rarely get called rude names and then only at the speaker's great peril. :hmm:

Gotta go and check on Mr.Thunder's Rollingthunder yacht pounding up the Pacific.

Lon More
27th Jan 2009, 18:00
Could be worse, could be Mr. Chunder.

Rollingthunder
27th Jan 2009, 18:12
How're you gonna check on it from here?

The Cunning Plan

Radio controlled.

Via internet thingy.

Howard Hughes
27th Jan 2009, 18:17
Because I have respect for my elders...;)

goudie
27th Jan 2009, 18:27
Are there 'Times' RT when, perhaps, you would pefer to be called 'The Thunderer'?

Rollingthunder
27th Jan 2009, 18:46
Don't care what you call me, just don't call me late for lunch.

pigboat
27th Jan 2009, 20:18
Is your yacht as big as the Jean Brilliant? ;)

Rollingthunder
27th Jan 2009, 20:53
PB, you have an excellent memory. How's the weather these days?

Stockpicker
27th Jan 2009, 21:23
Protocol, Mr Thunder - same way that I am Ms (or Mrs) Picker, hubby is Mr Picker, daughter is the Stockette, Misty is the Stockitten and the house is Picker Towers. And the car is the Stockmobile.

And I ran aground. Don't try even virtual ogan racing if you have an unsympathetic day job.

bnt
28th Jan 2009, 00:03
Oh. And there I was thinking that Bob Dylan had gotten his PPL. They'll stone you when you try to be so good...

pigboat
28th Jan 2009, 00:42
How's the weather these days?

It's a veritable heat wave, compared to the last couple of weeks. :p

METAR CYZV 280100Z 27006KT 15SM SKC M23/M29 A3025

Edited to add this, which should be on the Global Warming thread, I suppose. ;)

Cruise ship stuck in the ice. (http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090127/frozen_ship_090127/20090127?hub=Canada)

That cruise ship runs around the Gulf on winter cruises for the slightly insane. I don't know what kind of ice she's equipped for. I can't remember what the Marcoux is certified for, but I've been on it getting in and out of Matane in six feet of ice and it slowed her down a little, was all. What has happened, we've had a lot of North wind and temps down to -30 so for a couple of weeks and the ice has rafted along the South shore.

Blacksheep
28th Jan 2009, 07:35
Why? 'Cos we're not on first name terms Mr. Thunder.

Or may I call you Rolling?

Captain Speedbird
28th Jan 2009, 09:20
Interesting question. How your virtual persona is addressed is mostly due to how others perceive your character based on your posting history. How your name is abbreviated says much. For example on in these august pages, have you ever heard that most robust of debaters addressed as 'Sendy'? No, he was simply 'Clowns' to is adversaries. The use of a title such as Mr, Herr, Capt, suggests either a stand-offish persona, or also it may be used as a mark of respect to a venerable regular. Then you get the dichotomy: The multi-faceted complex types: Is it 'Flappy' of 'Madam Flaps' Today? For extra gravitas in times of extreme seriousness even the veil of anonymity may be lifted and 'real' names used. But what is truly the most enlightening is not how we are addressed, it it how we would wish to be addressed that says so much. Capt S (sort of like a salt of the earth cleaning lady but with some sense of position)

Howard Hughes
28th Jan 2009, 09:29
Can't I just call you skip?;)

Storminnorm
28th Jan 2009, 10:34
SKIP? I hired one of those last year.
Cleared the Memsahibs wardrobe.

IFTB
28th Jan 2009, 11:49
Ok Rolly, won't do it again! :E