PDA

View Full Version : Experience Required To Be An F/o On A Jet

NIJASEA
27th Jan 2009, 16:48
Hi guys,
What requirements are required to be a jet first officer in your respective countries?
In Nigeria you only require a CPL with a current Medical and Type rating.

abhi88
27th Jan 2009, 18:12
:eek:Wow...Thats cool. Is this applicable for foreigners too?? If so could please name some companies who are looking for CPL FO's in nigeria??

In my country they wouldnt even let you near a turbo prop without a min of 1000 hours!!!:sad:

Bucket
27th Jan 2009, 23:52
It remains a constant source of frustration to graduate pilots that unless they have at least 1000 hrs on the Space Shuttle, most turbo prop, never mind jet operators will not go near them with the proverbial barge pole. Sadly it seems that the industry regards them as dangerous, incapable of handling said aircraft and generally avoided until they have cut their teeth in instruction and then onto contract work.

If Nigeria truly offer jet jobs to CPL's with a current medical they are bucking the trend and to be aplauded for it. It remains another matter altogether as to weather anyone actually wishes to fly in Nigeria as a first job. Ask someone who has; I have not so cannot comment.

The short answer seems to be that 1000hrs on a t/p is a good starting point for the next move to a jet. :ugh:

LongJohnThomas
28th Jan 2009, 00:27
I know lots of Captains who have never flown turbo-props and they happen to be very good pilots.
I think that jets straight from school is not for every rookie.
Some are able to cope, and others are not quite as fast.
For those who do, they turn out to be very good Pilots generally speaking and are able to handle much more complicated equipment fairly easily.
Just my 10cents!:ok:

Bucket
28th Jan 2009, 23:38
LJT I agree with what you say and at the risk of continuing this thread that has been explored ad nauseum I would say that the right training has much to do with it.

As you may already be aware the Integrated/Modular training in the UK has and continues to churn out a very good quality product as evidenced by the large number of graduates who progress well in the first jobs flying the 'heavy' metal that others only dream of after many years on t/p's or instructing etc.

The is great merit in having a ladder of progress in aviation however there is also a case for saying that when the market demands it, graduate pilots can be brought in who will aquit themselves well as ab initio airline pilots and this is where it appears that the UK/JAA system has lead the way. There are other countries that also over look the apparent short comings of low hours and mimic the JAA route. Kenya is a case in point. Even SAA with its cadetship scheme follows the same blue print in part.

I'm sure there are other parts of the world that do the same. I am quoting examples that are familiar to me.

Doodlebug2
29th Jan 2009, 09:20
Where I come from..just the ability to raise and lower gear and flap!:p