PDA

View Full Version : Traffic management in the Middle East "inadequate"

Mike.Park
27th Jan 2009, 14:44
IATA's Vice President for the Middle Eastern region says:

- ATC procedures inadequate

- Infrastructure and air traffic control procedures are not keeping up with growth

- Military restrictions limit airspace expansion and the fragmentation of airspace and sub-optimal routes are costing the industry millions

- Better coordination between agencies needed

- More government investment needed for communication technologies to enhance ATC

- Environmental performances need improvement

Looks like someone's got their work cut out! :}
Source: Arabian Business (http://www.arabianbusiness.com/544935-mideast-leaders-urged-to-tackle-air-traffic-problems)

fractional
27th Jan 2009, 15:36
With the Recession, these guys deny, it was expectable to have traffic problems because of the growth in last 5 years. Very little was done in increasing airborne capacities, mainly in the terminal areas of BAH, DOH, AUH and DXB, going left to right. Obviously the main problem here is AUH and DXB.
This slowdown will give another window of opportunity for the authorities of these airport and contries' airspaces to take steps to mend the problem. I hate to say that not much is going to be done.
Wait until JXB is ready with the 2 runways and barely 37NM away from either AUH or DXB ... :confused: and the real problems will occur.

Rule3
27th Jan 2009, 18:18
The opening statement is correct, but not for the reasons he suggests. Unfortunately, he doesn't see the real source of the problem, and that is insane scheduling by Emirates, Qatar, and to a lesser extent Etihad and Air Arabia.:confused: TENS, perhaps, HUNDREDS of millions could be saved if the mighty would allow slot times and/or change their schedules. Unfortunately we are fighting a losing battle. Remember the "Golden Rule", the man with the Gold makes the rules. :ugh:

VoxPopuli
28th Jan 2009, 00:35
"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony.

I.E. Don't hold your breath.

fractional
28th Jan 2009, 14:32
All airlines will try to make their operations profitable and there won't be compromises in a sky-free environment. Airports Slots may hold the key to a bit of normalcy.
Until they come together to have ATC Slots, they may have to keep aircraft on the ground and so create larger holding areas on the ground for waiting aircraft.

mensaboy
28th Jan 2009, 15:53
I certainly do not want slot times. I hated them in Europe, where ATC actually knew how to utilize them. Just imagine who will be in charge of organizing the procedures in the Middle East! I can guarantee it will be chaos for years before it gets straightened out.

No offence to the guys on the front lines... the controllers... because I generally find them quite good. The procedures and restrictions placed on them must be, at the very least, annoying to them too.

I believe some ATC procedures are a factor in delays though. Arrivals, when we are told to slow down to min clean speed, only to have the next controller speed us up, or vice versa. Poor coordination.

How about one controller for clearances and one for push/start and taxi, like 90% of busy airports around the world. Plus, can someone explain to me why we have to stay with the busy controller (clearance dude) until ready to push? Then, once we can squeeze in our RT call, all he does is tell us to go over to the next controller. I could see this procedure being used under some circumstances, but not in DXB.

The other big factor is definitely the scheduling of flights. It seems EVERYONE arrives and departs at the same times throughout the day. I take extra fuel based on my projected arrival time if it falls in the middle of one of these periods for sure. Many flights on the same routings depart about the same time too. On some routes; Himalayas, Indian Ocean to Oz etc, this can cause huge fuel penalties.
I do not know the intricacies of scheduling but I think even some minor alterations would have some very positive affects for ATC and the airlines.

Wiley
28th Jan 2009, 16:24
How about one controller for clearances and one for push/start and taxi, like 90% of busy airports around the world.How about PDC? Please!

Rule3
28th Jan 2009, 20:22
What a load of gobbledygook.:confused: I propose we put you in charge of solving the problems,{ any seconder} as you obviously have a hand or handle on it. Reread your first sentence.:ugh::ouch:

VoxPopuli
29th Jan 2009, 03:45
I certainly do not want slot times.

Then...

The other big factor is definitely the scheduling of flights.

and

I think even some minor alterations would have some very positive affects for ATC and the airlines.

So exactly what do you want then mensaboy? The civility of slots without slots? Two words, cake + eat.