View Full Version : Absconding from Middle East

Paladini
19th Jul 2001, 22:05
This is more of an open question.....

Can anyone enlighten me as to repercussions of "buggering off' from contracts in the Middle East. Can they (Gulf, Kuwait, Saudia, Emirates etc) really track you down and,if so, can they make it more painful than remaining and dealing with the 'prison mentality'? :confused:

Don't most other airlines realize what's going on down here? Will they hold it against you? Or recognise your dilemna?

Really need some help here...anyone with experience? :eek: :(

ironbutt57
20th Jul 2001, 02:30
Don't know about the likelyhood of getting "tracked down", but it surely couldnt reflect well at an interview, seeing as how the vast majority of pilots manage to leave the mideast on good terms....fortitude goes a long way..

411A
20th Jul 2001, 05:47
Cannot address other carriers in the ME, but SV does not acknowledge requests about former employees, good or bad.
Have known several who "ran away" without any repercussions. If bonded, say goodby to'da cash, of course.

ironbutt57
20th Jul 2001, 11:22
What happens to usa folks when employment requests are made and a prospective employer cannot verify your employment for 10 years due to a lack of response from an overseas carrier?

wizzflight
20th Jul 2001, 15:34
Wouldn't recommend absconding for the following reasons:
1. You knew the conditions when you signed the dotted line. Aviation is a very small world and someone will get to know about it. Unless you had execptional circumstances, I wouldn't hire you after absconding.
2. Some of the airlines will try to go after you/your career. Not sure how succesful they are.
3. You would of course lose all your End of Service Benefits.

My advice, stick it out. I think most Middle Eastern Airlines bond you for 3 years. not a long time really. The grass may not be that much greener on the other side after all. Our airline (EK) had guys leaving for BA and coming back!!

Good luck with your decision.

Paladini
23rd Jul 2001, 17:26
Thanx wizzflight............

It's just that the contract on file doesn't match my copy....fairly common I expect.

Oh, well....only another 14 months to serve. Wish it were different :(