PDA

View Full Version : Light Aircraft Crash near YBAF

Ixixly
27th Jan 2009, 08:35
Heard about a crash near Archerfield at Greenbank...apparently into a Chook Factory!! Anyone know any more details about it?

Link to story (http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24970886-952,00.html)

tipsy2
27th Jan 2009, 08:39
According to the TV news (cant remember which one) it was a forced landing. Couldn't see any scrapes or scratches on the aircraft (C172) but the reporter (sic) made a big deal about the pilots (instructor) 38th birthday being today.

Well whoopeeeeee:eek:

Got no idea what the engine problem was.

supercub150
27th Jan 2009, 08:47
It was a 172 that suffered an engine failure around Park Ridge. The instructor landed safely in the paddock across the road from park ridge water tower. There was no damage to the aircraft. Congrats to the pilots for bringing it down safely.

MCKES
27th Jan 2009, 23:33
Has anyone got any more information??? PM me

Jabawocky
27th Jan 2009, 23:52
Yes............for once the press have it spot on and some dill on PPRUNE does the ...... seconds from global disaster thing :=

J:rolleyes:

Blue Sky Baron
28th Jan 2009, 00:14
From the Courier Mail article-

"The pair were in the plane when it developed engine problems"

Funny that - I heard that they had both gone out to lunch when the problem developed!!

BSB :ok: :ugh:

PyroTek
28th Jan 2009, 00:40
Ixixly, MCKES:

What else is there to know?
Engine troubles/failure inflight, forced landing into a paddock, and it all turned out better than expected.
I think both pilots were wearing shirts and a headset at the time. possibly socks and shoes too.
Any more info you want??

(If it WAS into a chicken factory, I'd be over there to get my free roast chickens minutes after the crash):ok:

privateer01
28th Jan 2009, 01:09
Least it didn't hit the RSL....:E

Ixixly
28th Jan 2009, 03:59
"They were forced to land in a paddock opposite the Ingham Chicken Factory" Direct quote from the link i put up Minger and oops, sorry, forgot to be more technical "A Force Landing Without Power" my bad.... Still, thanks for being helpful and pointing out those technicalities... Oh and take a chill pill mate.

Pyro, just wondering which school etc, curiosity is all as i did all my CPL training out there and still know a lot of people out there i don't have direct contact with! and the one i do have contact with didn't have any info on it!

And as stated above, Inghams, personally i love their chickens... i wonder if the pair got some freebies for the fun of it?

puff
28th Jan 2009, 04:20
Believe it was VH-LFV - RQAC

MCKES
28th Jan 2009, 05:49
Puff thank-you sir that was all I wanted to know :ok:

Arm out the window
28th Jan 2009, 06:20
Don't be too quick to criticise - there would be quite a few layers in this story. The pilot may try to feather his own nest a bit by selling the tale to the media, maybe make a few buck-bucks. Feeding the chooks, as Joh used to say.

Horatio Leafblower
28th Jan 2009, 06:24
It's time the Moderators laid down the law - no more fowl yolks! :uhoh:

*ducks for cover*

sms777
28th Jan 2009, 09:10
That's a good one Leafy....and i agree:ok:.
Is not it is just great when we can joke about a serious incident that could have been a lot worse. Thanks to all those years of training and good airmanship they managed to save the day, themselves and the aeroplane.
Well done guys! :ok:

PS: Just courious.... Did you manage to score some chicks?....:E

Torres
28th Jan 2009, 10:39
They is an airstrip few of miles to the east of the Water Tower at approx 27° 42' 23" S; 153° 06' 33" E. Guess they couldn't make it.

Peter Fanelli
28th Jan 2009, 12:18
Speaking of nonsensical posting by alleged "experts" I like this one, lifted from a thread on Airwankers.net and referring to the crash of an aircraft due to icing.

I thought that the Oak Lawn crash took place at altitude, not on landing.

MCKES
28th Jan 2009, 23:35
Torres Kagaru is a bit far away as the water tower is an inbound marker so their altitude would have been 1500ft.

ForkTailedDrKiller
28th Jan 2009, 23:48
Light Aircraft Crash near YBAF

Wouldn't a "crash" involve bent metal (or plastic) and broken perspex?

From the TV footage, doesn't seem to be much of that in this case.

Looks more like a successful outlanding to me!

Regardless of the cause, well done (!) for the outcome.

Dr :8

Maloo
29th Jan 2009, 00:28
Mckes,

I know the strips that Torres is talking about. They are two almost parallel grass strips which are pointing approximately North-East/south-West which I have seen an ultra-light operate from and are very handy for doing FLWOP practice. They are about five miles east of the Park Ridge Water Tower at the end of Park Ridge Rd and on the east of Chambers Flat Rd.

I agree that Kagaru would have been a strip too far.

Kudos to the pilot for putting it down safely.

Ando1Bar
29th Jan 2009, 01:48
The Logan Reserve strip would have been too far away due to the 15+ knot easterly and most likely out of sight (given the high workload of the pilot at the time). The field next to Park Ridge Water Tower was ideal given the location of the engine failure, many YBAF pilots have already considered it. Logan Reserve would be a great option if departing YBAF to the SE.

MakeItHappenCaptain
29th Jan 2009, 02:32
Maloo, You are thinking of Logan Reserve Strip(s), referred to by Ando. Kagaru is a single N/S strip about 12nm SE from Park Ridge.

MCKES
29th Jan 2009, 06:17
Yes Maloo I know the ones you are talking about now that you say there is a cross strip. I thought torres was talking about Kagaru, as it is listed but the other one (logan reserve) is not as far as I know.

TheFallGuy
29th Jan 2009, 06:44
Yep not too much time, Looked ahead and right, lots of houses, looked left and saw the field, decision made. Able to do basic checks and send mayday. Fortunately no damage to us, A/C or property.:)

Ixixly
30th Jan 2009, 06:32
Good work Fallguy, was good to hear the outcome of it was so positive!

scardycap
30th Jan 2009, 23:04
As a former instructor at this particular aeroclub I say well done. Brings to mind all those PFLWOP used to do with a certain Mr Mitchell. Guess it pays off in the end eh!:ok:

tipsy2
31st Jan 2009, 00:29
So, FallGuy tell us, did you have a good birthday:E

tipsy:ooh:

Jabawocky
31st Jan 2009, 11:16
There are two private strips on adjoining properties at Logan reserve, have flown inand out of the southern one, about 800m long. :ok:

A C210 and a Grumman Tiger live there, not sure about next door.

Are these the ones you speak of?

J

Torres
31st Jan 2009, 11:34
Don't know that the strip I was referring to has a name but a number of years ago it belonged to a fairly well known flying instructor - maybe it still does? It is between Chambers Flat Road and Logan Reserve Road, between Bayes Road and School Road (and not far from my property at Munruben.)

Looked it up on Google Maps - looks like there is also a second airstrip quite close, maybe 15° offset from parallel. Can't be much more than 5 miles from Inghams Chooks?

Where did you put it FallGuy, in the paddocks (used to grow grape vines) behind the old fruit shop on the western side of Beaudesert Road, opposite Inghams?

Well done lad!

There has been a few aircraft parked in this area. About 20 years ago one ended up just off Rosia Road, after failing to recover from low level aeros.