PDA

View Full Version : Are boots comfortable to fly in

MCKES
26th Jan 2009, 23:52
I would just like to know if anyone wears boots whilst flying. I have seen a few commercial pilots that wear them, and just wonder what they are like. I am not talking about massive lace up boots just the standard slip on type.:ok:

flog
26th Jan 2009, 23:57
It feels wrong if I wear anything BUT boots in the Yak.

MakeItHappenCaptain
27th Jan 2009, 00:08
I've had a liking for GP's since serving and find no problem with flexibility, although have seen many student's who can't wear them. Zip up side types are available that make getting through airport screening a lot easier too. Breathable sides make comfort a lot better too.
(Original SWAT - about $180 a set)

tinpis
27th Jan 2009, 00:32
Good, unless swimming.....:rolleyes:

Captain Sand Dune
27th Jan 2009, 00:43
Good, unless swimming..... .....in which case take 'em orf!

Worn GPs while flying for 25 years - no problems!:ok:

Need to ask the QF pilots what stilletoes are like to fly in though......:E

ForkTailedDrKiller
27th Jan 2009, 00:48
I have been wearing boots for 39 years. Bought my first pair of RM Williams kid leather jodpur boots in December 1969 in Chinchilla. Cost me $26 - almost a weeks wages! They were THE MOST COMFORTABLE footwear that I have ever worn, but they only make them on custom order these days and they cost about $600 - and I can no longer afford them. I moved into RM Williams top boots in the early 80's, then went through a Tony Lama phase in the 90's. I am currently wearing a pair of Ariat top boots.

My advice applies to any footwear a GA pilot might wear. Make sure they are comfortable - and make sure that you can walk a good distance in them without getting blisters.

I think you are either a boot person or not!

Dr :8

PS: Army style GP boots are really comfortable if fitted properly. We used to take them to a good bootmaker and get a zipper sewn into the inward facing side so that you could leave them laced up - and just use the zip to put them on and take them off. Worked a treat until the RSM spotted them!

horserun
27th Jan 2009, 00:48
Some of the boys complain the spurs get in the way.

mdt001
27th Jan 2009, 00:59
Rossi 301 Airsoles. The ones without steel toecaps.

troppo
27th Jan 2009, 01:10
Call the fashion police for any footware with zips. Docs, diggers and rms all do the trick but make sure they are broken in or you will know what a 'bootfull' of rudder is.

KRUSTY 34
27th Jan 2009, 01:14
Bought my first pair of RM's 15 years ago. Cannot imagine wearing anything (feet wise) else! :ok:

djpil
27th Jan 2009, 02:14
Bud Davisson always wears cowboy boots for flying. (http://www.airbum.com/grassroots/GrassrootsJacketTBO.html)

Personally I wear Rivers black boots unless I think I can get away with Rivers joggers.

Teal
27th Jan 2009, 02:26
Need to ask the QF pilots what stilletoes are like to fly in though......:EI hear they are fine but their fishnet stockings are problematic due to snagging....:E

tinpis
27th Jan 2009, 02:34
Red Wing Shoes (http://www.redwingshoes.com.au/redwingshoes5.htm)

Carry a hip flask or Derringer in these suckers as well as yer Copenhagen or Snoose.

compressor stall
27th Jan 2009, 02:35
I wear these and they're fine...

http://www.sorel.com/images/productImages/NM1023_4_l.jpg
:E

startingout
27th Jan 2009, 02:41
^ whats wrong with the mighty caribou? I wear RM's and hate them, the toe is not flexible at all even after 12 months, just scary at times. Prefer normal shoes but cant alway get what we want.... :ok:

VH-XXX
27th Jan 2009, 02:41
I've seen a few float plane pilots wearing these.

http://www.stylechild.co.uk/products/1145.jpg

the wizard of auz
27th Jan 2009, 02:45
Nice stally. :} they issued or you have to buy em?.
I wear whatever I happen to have on my feet at the time I'm heading off to the aircraft. Done many many hours in thongs and bare feet (also done many hours flying in Jocks when it was really hot and I was on low level ops all day :} ). when doing charter work I wear rivers boots. look the part and are comfortable.
found my RM's and Thomas Cooks to be too slippery with a leather sole, so I avoid them if I can.

compressor stall
27th Jan 2009, 02:48
Standard issue for deep field work wiz.

the wizard of auz
27th Jan 2009, 02:51
So whats the news on the 18 meter core?. proof of a natural cycle or more sinister?. I bet the heaters get a workout at your place of employment.:}

NAMPS
27th Jan 2009, 02:55
I find slippers are much more comfortable.

Capt Claret
27th Jan 2009, 03:31
RMs with the oil resistant synthetic sole.

Purchased the current RMs in early 2005 with leather soles. Re-soled in late 2005 with synthetic sole, and re-soled again early 2008, again synthetic. Should get a few more years out of them yet. Worn every day I go to work.

:ok:

Aerodynamisist
27th Jan 2009, 03:52
Elastic sided boots are the go easy to pull on and off and with a reinforced toe wich is handy for disagreements at the pub.
I recently switched to rivers shoes but they rub against my achilles tendon when I have the seat clicked into my favorite spot, so back to the boots I go.

Howabout
27th Jan 2009, 03:54
Captain Sand Dune, are these the QANTAS issue you referred to?

http://www.bikemenu.com/photos/famous/Bridgette%20Bardot%20motorcycle.jpg

MCKES
27th Jan 2009, 04:05
Thanks everyone for your help, just wanted to check that they were ok before I went out and brought a pair.
Cheers,
Sam:ok:

ForkTailedDrKiller
27th Jan 2009, 04:14
If RMs are your thing, as soon as you buy them take them to "Mr Minute" and have "Protector Soles" put on them. Make sure they run them right to the base of the heel and be sure to tell the guy, "Do NOT cut into the leather soles - If you do I will cut you"!

It will overcome the slippery leather sole problem and the soles will last forever!

maui
27th Jan 2009, 04:48
FTD

Much better to get the synthetic sole as original. Leather soles too slippery and wear out too quickly.

Been wearing RM's to work since 1970, or there abouts. Wouldn't consider anything else.

M:ok:

the wizard of auz
27th Jan 2009, 04:59
It will overcome the slippery leather sole problem and the soles will last forever!
not that you would need them for very long if do actually use them for their intended purpose. Nothing quite like being hung up on a spooked hoss with a heap of scrubber mickeys strutting their stuff. :bored:

Stationair8
27th Jan 2009, 05:03
A mate who is a retired FSO, likes to tell the story about a rather large gentleman who flew DC-3's to King Island for one of the freight companies(Brain and Brown or Air Express), the guy always flew wearing slippers.

Capt Claret
27th Jan 2009, 05:21
I was told by an RMs rep, that the protector soles, referred to by the Forked one, caused damage to the uppers over time because they didn't allow the boot to flex as it was designed.

Not being a boot maker, I took the advice to heart and go with the RM's soles.

apache
27th Jan 2009, 07:28
I bought a pair of Colorado boots in 2005.... still wearing them every day at work, and haven't had to re-do anything on em.
It took a while to "break in".... but once that was done... they very comfortable.

also great when it is pi$$ing down with rain, and walk-around involves the odd puddle

ZEEBEE
27th Jan 2009, 07:43
Pity that "Boots" Balmain isn't still around....he coulda told ya.

PA39
27th Jan 2009, 07:55
:ok: Gumboots for dirt strips and thongs for sealed ruways !

Captain Sand Dune
27th Jan 2009, 07:55
Howabout,

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!:E

HarleyD
27th Jan 2009, 09:07
MCKES: $100 blundstones work just fine for me. I did have some colorados and they were excellent too. I have had trouble with rivers. More time in boots than shoes by far, but whatever you prefer, comfort, walkability and toes that don't get tangled up with brakes and stuff under the dash board are important considerations, for example i don't think that those revival styled winkle pickers that I have seen in the big smoke will catch on in a pitts for instance.

Howabout; I also have a set of pipes just like that on my Harley and sometimes a girly just like that as well, only for special occaisions though, and, boy oh boy, does SHE wear BOOTS.

HD

onthedials
27th Jan 2009, 09:21
I'm with the good Doctor, Captain Claret and Maui (at least I think that was who) - RM Williams are the go. Swallow your ego and buy the "Gardener" variety which come standard with a synthetic sole. They last for ever and are good in the bush, safe in the hangar (around oily floors) and secure when it's raining. Err on the larger rather than smaller side and wear thick socks. Toes stay warm even in the coldest winter and you will thank them when things go wrong and you end up somewhere unexpected!

Jamair
27th Jan 2009, 09:32
Have worn GP-style lace-ups on a daily basis since the Green Machine in 1980, in several different jobs including flying. Still wear 'em today while flying. :ok:

Problem with slip-ons....they also slip-OFF. Not necessarilly desirable when yer ankle deep in mud at Augathella:ouch:.

Lace-ups have proven their worth to me in the above type scenario, as well as providing great support for towing / pushing when required, and protection (recently had a 4100kg aeroplane roll over my foot without injury).

I recommend some sort of boot, whether slip-on or lace-up. FWIW

Jabawocky
27th Jan 2009, 10:15
Jamair......wheel chocks mate!!!:ok:

povopilot
27th Jan 2009, 10:21
Bare foot/Thongs is a really **** idea. I thought i would try it the other day and after 5 hours in a 172 that requires constant rudder throughout the cruise i won't be trying it again in a hurry. Think i still have a rudder pedal imprint on my left foot now. Sorry, slightly off topic.

povopilot

werbil
27th Jan 2009, 11:30
VH-XXX - Nice boots :ok: - won't catch me in them or any other footwear whilst flying for that matter though. Still - must confess I got caught without shoes on an unplanned overnight stop at a five star island resort. Fortunately the photos of me in white fluffy slippers never did make it back to the office despite the resolve of the island staff.

C208 pedals can be a bit hard on the feet - after a while you learn where to put your feet. I think the sole of my right foot has moulded to the shape of the pedal - either that or I've killed the nerves in my foot.

Povopilot - suggest you get the plane fixed - if you need that much pressure in cruise something is out of whack.

the wizard of auz
27th Jan 2009, 11:32
Wait until you stomp on them peddles for a few hours in 48 deg heat in bare feet. they get really hot. :eek: save bare feet for the winter :ok:

greybeard
27th Jan 2009, 12:06
Boots, they have to,

be comfortable,
resist skydrol and other Aviation fluids,
best with leather soles as synthetic will catch fire more easily if you have to run through some flames
elastic sides in case you get stuck under a rudder pedal and need to leave in a hurry, you can leave the boot

My RMs have had a simple rubber sole glued on to the leather prior to ever wearing them, just on the wearing part so the leather can still flex. (bootmaker advice) and have so far not distorted at all as the others did after "new" soles were done.

Cheers

Anulus Filler
27th Jan 2009, 14:15
I use these. Very comfortable and they always get a second look in NZ.:ok:

http://www.jumbougg.com.au/tall-outdoor-ugh_files/tall-ultra-ugg-chestnut.jpg

Pilotette
27th Jan 2009, 23:03
I was told by an RM's salesperson to peel a couple of potatoes and leave them in the boots overnight for about a week as the best way to soften-up and help break-in new leather boots. Not sure how it works but it does..no blisters :ok:

ForkTailedDrKiller
27th Jan 2009, 23:49
Pilotette, I know RM makes boots with Cuban heels - but stilettos?

Pinky the pilot
28th Jan 2009, 00:59
Got a pair or Redwings like the ones shown in Tinny's post. Had 'em since my seismic survey days (early 80s) and wore them occasionally when towing gliders in Pawnees in the winter months.:ok:

Even back in the 80s they were fairly expensive but I did get them as a tax deduction!:ok:

Agree with other posters re elastic sided boots though. Wore out a pair of Rossi boots over five years and now have some Blundstones. Just as good!

Arm out the window
28th Jan 2009, 06:27
I wore issue flying boots for a long time in the military, then bought a pair of lace up Blundstones for GA - not quite as high, but still good ankle support, light, comfy and seem to be hard wearing. Good for my wide foot as well.

40Deg STH
28th Jan 2009, 06:49
At Cathay, you could once pick the Aussie pilots by the RM's on their feet. Now so many other nationality pilots in CX wear them too. Great to see:ok:
The only Reginald legacy still flying;)

myshoutcaptain
28th Jan 2009, 07:20
RM's all the way through training and WA/NT'S finest communities ... only problem now is having them resoled begs the question ... what to wear in the meantime?!:ok:

Murray Cod
28th Jan 2009, 07:38
Double plugers in survey aerocommanders are ok , gives you more "feel" and they are non spark producing unless your "cutting the rug at the Port Douglas pub" then there electric eh wogboy.
MC

Howard Hughes
28th Jan 2009, 07:48
http://global.magnumboots.com/images/products/med/large_image7.jpg
Magnum Elite, perfect for what I do!:ok:

KittyKatKaper
28th Jan 2009, 08:51
HH, I was going to ask 'what do you do ?',
but on seconds thoughts I've decided that it might be safer not to ask.

:)

Howard Hughes
28th Jan 2009, 09:08
I could tell ya but then I'd have to kill ya!:}

ForkTailedDrKiller
28th Jan 2009, 09:19
I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

http://www.fototime.com/042032C6CDA89F1/standard.jpg

TOPendFLYER
28th Jan 2009, 09:26
http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/images/cma/image/E728149DD4884FD4
There's only one type of boot for a outback pilot RM Williams :ok:

rotcivtolip
28th Jan 2009, 10:59
Those recommending RM's... which type exactly? Where can they be bought and approximately how much?

Pilotette
28th Jan 2009, 19:50
FTDK...The stiletto has to be a special order, although they do seem to make using the rudders a bit tricky :E

drunkensailor
28th Jan 2009, 21:55
rotcivtolip, I would recommend TAMBO's, they have the rubber sole outta the box and I think they are worth bout $360 or so these days.
head to an RM shop and get fitted. you can get them from most saddlers but in most cases they have to be ordered so you have to know what you want.

werbil
29th Jan 2009, 12:32
I'm game!

http://www.dailyaviator.com/images/2008-06/da-34.jpg

cjd_a320
20th Sep 2011, 17:44
For the lady pilots with style :}

ugg bellvue | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?LH_PrefLoc=1&LH_ItemCondition=11&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A6%257C72%253A525 1&rt=nc&_nkw=ugg+bellvue&_dmpt=UK_Women_s_Shoes&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=2&_sc=1)

Dookie on Drums
20th Sep 2011, 21:17
Nice thread dig up from 2 yrs ago :bored:

ad-astra
20th Sep 2011, 21:27
RMW Boots are now standard uniform issue for 1000+ Virgin Australia pilots.
Airport friendly version only.

We have John Borghetti to thank. :D

R.M.Williams | The Bush Outfitter (http://www.rmwilliams.com.au/home.asp?pageid=5C6C70EB124BD6E4)

tinpis
20th Sep 2011, 21:52
http://www.skellerup.co.nz/components/com_mtree/img/listings/m/65.jpg:)

Howard Hughes
20th Sep 2011, 22:38
Geez Tinny, ya feet must get a bit sweaty in those up North!:E

E&H
21st Sep 2011, 01:50
Rotcivtolip...recommend RMW Craftsman...they have a synthetic sole and have lasted well in PNG in all the gravel strips, lotsa water ...pubs and clubs etc about $330 AUD I think. Had current pair for four years and will need resole in about another year.

Compare this with shoes off the rack for about $100 $130 and lasting 12-18 months and their miles in front.

Agree with whoever advised to go with slightly larger size and wear thick socks.

Use RMW polish only, avoid the silicone type touch up polish found in hotels...no need for neatsfoot oil or anything like that... just use the RMW polish...seems to keep the leather in top condition.

Puketapu9er
21st Sep 2011, 03:41
I kick it in crocs. Sturdy, reliable, and stylish.

VH-FTS
21st Sep 2011, 04:27
Puketapu9er,

Don't forget your flight suit and helmet for that turbine job you're looking for with a fresh CPL and MECIR.

Howard Hughes
21st Sep 2011, 04:30
I kick it in crocs.
You didn't tell us you had float plane experience...:}

LeadSled
22nd Sep 2011, 03:29
Folks,
One maker that doesn't seem to have been mentioned is Baxter (NSW), gave away RM for Baxter about 50 years ago, never looked back.
Amongst other things, the "rubber" soles and stitching seems impervious to Skydrol, and important consideration in many jobs.
I use the same ones that were uniform issue to NSW police for many years, 22D if I recall correctly.
Tootle pip!!

ozaggie
22nd Sep 2011, 19:32
Never saw Col Pay wear anything but Baxters. Ariats for me. Elastic sided. Usually get 2 years out of them, hold out well against chemical and Jet A1. The more lovely side of life won't let them in the house tho. Reckons they'll kill the indoor plants. RMW craftsmen for the pub.

Jabawocky
22nd Sep 2011, 20:49
Airport Frriendly!! :D

I have the conventional steel insert RMW's and I go through the scanners every time ;). The security folk always look at my boots and wonder how the F I do it.

I am sure many of you have worked it out too.

RMW do overhauls so when your boots hit TBO, send them back and for about $160 they are like a brand new pair again.

AussieNick
22nd Sep 2011, 22:57
Wore Mack Titan Q's before. Currently rocking it in blundstones.

The Titans where a throwback from my days on the darwin ramp. Extremely comfortable to wear, held up great on the hot tarmac stepping in all manner of crap, composite toe so I didn't set off the scanners in security and best of all they were flexible around the toes. I've worn some boots that were just too stiff to operate the toe brakes with.

tinpis
24th Sep 2011, 11:39
Easy to kick off if you ditch and give excellent protection in the event of fire :hmm:
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2007/08/09/va1237260887495/cowboy-boot-5603120.jpg

Jethro Gibbs
24th Sep 2011, 12:30
The only man-toes that should be exposed belong to Hobbits. :ok:

zac21
24th Sep 2011, 13:01
'Mongrel' riding boots are very comfortable, look good (elastic sides) and lasted me for over 2 years. $160 online delivered, RM's for the pub.
Work Safegear | Shop | Viewing Black Riding Boot (FW M 805025 WSG) (http://www.worksafegear.com/shop/detail/mongrel-boots-work-safety-805025/)

Puketapu9er
24th Sep 2011, 21:24
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/230/505926493_c23ef3202f.jpg

Good ventilation, but with no compromise in style. Crocs :)

PyroTek
25th Sep 2011, 06:26
Good ventilation, but with no compromise in style. Crocs http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gifMore like the BIGGEST compromise in style! :ugh::ugh::ugh::cool::cool:

Avgas172
25th Sep 2011, 08:38
I have been wearing boots for 39 years. Bought my first pair of RM Williams kid leather jodpur boots in December 1969 in Chinchilla. Cost me $26 - almost a weeks wages! They were THE MOST COMFORTABLE footwear that I have ever worn, but they only make them on custom order these days and they cost about $600 - and I can no longer afford them. I moved into RM Williams top boots in the early 80's, then went through a Tony Lama phase in the 90's. I am currently wearing a pair of Ariat top boots.

Crikey Doc!, I thought I was old but you musta been flying before I christened the back seat of my Mini 850 in Cairns circa 1970, can't remember the name of the boots (still remember the girl though) :E

Robdog
25th Sep 2011, 10:00
Nothing better than a pair of RMW Tambo Craftsman Boots for flying in.

404 Titan
25th Sep 2011, 13:58
My last pair for work R.M.Williams Craftsman lasted me 10 years. I replaced them in February with a pair of black R.M.Williams Dynamic Flex Comfort Craftsman. (Airport Friendly). They would have to be the most comfortable RM’s I have ever owned. I also have a Chestnut pair of R.M.Williams Tambo’s for going out in.

multime
26th Sep 2011, 07:28
Was going to put a plug in for Rossi,s. Aussy made cheap 1 pair a year.
Unlike Blundstones.
Value for $$ comfy. I have 2 pairs, Ms M the Emelda Marcos of shoes has slighty more.:E
Might have to upgrade. ? A good excuse to get a pair of RM,S

Neville Nobody
28th Sep 2011, 01:36
I'd say most of you blokes who wear RM's "To the pub" would fly in those big long floppy boots that clowns wear. Don't you have trouble with them getting caught under the dash when you put your feet on the rudder pedals?

Capt Claret
28th Sep 2011, 02:26
Don't you have trouble with them getting caught under the dash when you put your feet on the rudder pedals?

Nope.

Now moved to RM's Dynamic Flex (no metal no ping at security!) as damage to old RM's meant that the resole was no longer guaranteed, and the repair (soles, side elastic, inner heel lining) was getting close to 50% of the cost of a new pair. Not bad for over five years use. :ok:

Neville Nobody
28th Sep 2011, 05:49
I'm happy for you Captain, those RM's really seem to be the way to go. :hmm: While your commenting and promoting saddle frigger gear Captain what excatly do those great big white aerials do (Apart from the obligitory Bundy Rum flag on one side and Oz flag on the other) on your ute? Do you get booked for rear view obscurement with all those stickers on your rear window?

t303
28th Sep 2011, 09:28
Neville old bean,
what (or who) is stuck up your a*se today?

RM's have a long TBO and are, unlike others, able to be zero timed by the factory.

Neville Nobody
28th Sep 2011, 09:41
Slightly homophobic rebly there 303. Witty and cleverly worked in aviation theme there fella, you should get a job with the Mirror with skills like that.

t303
28th Sep 2011, 10:33
Yeah sorry Neville, I'm not very PC.
But seriously, why your angst about RM boots? Does your Check Captain wear them, or were you kicked by a stock and station agent when you were a kid?:hmm:

major_tom
29th Sep 2011, 01:10
I wear Windsor smith, no issues, helps me reach the rudder better lol

xgjunkie
29th Sep 2011, 03:56
I wear Navy issue parade boots :O they are very light, give me great rudder authority and good for footwork outside the aircraft etc...

I've tried other footwear and nothing seems to work as well.