PDA

View Full Version : 737 aircraft & flight mode on iphone

starbuck123
26th Jan 2009, 16:30
Just got back from Prague flying back with BMI Baby on a 737 500 seires and was told that flight mode in mobile phones was not allowed on this type of aircraft. I have an iPhone and wanted to listen some tunes like I normally do when fly with Virgin or BA. What's so different with the aircraft?

Final 3 Greens
26th Jan 2009, 17:08
Each airline has their own rules.

I remember not so long ago being allowed a PDA on a BA 320 and then denied one on an Iberia 321 on the return leg.

clareprop
27th Jan 2009, 02:52
Unfortunately, it's another of those "grey" areas - like security procedures. Some airlines will allow flight safe mode, some not. In the USA, Russia and some European countries, mobile phones may be used after touchdown. This causes considerable problems when those passengers fly on British airlines where this is normally not the case.
But there you are, that's commercial flying and rules is rules.
You have to grin and bear it:ok:

apaddyinuk
27th Jan 2009, 13:45
Aer Lingus wont allow it either for some reason!

starbuck123
27th Jan 2009, 15:42
Thanks for the replies. So it would appear to be a company decision not anything to do with the aircraft?

Final 3 Greens
27th Jan 2009, 16:01
Starbuck

No quite as simple as that, since national aviation authorities often dictate to airlines.

But given the (understandable) reluctance of the industry to play fast and loose with safety related matters, conservatism usually drives the rules.

The CAA in Britain has recently modified its stance regarding the potential use of mobile phones and here is the info

Mobile Phones | Information for Passengers | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1770&pagetype=90&pageid=9852)

I have a PPL and have seen the effect that a GSM phone can have on nav equipment. Whilst pax do inadvertently leave their phones on in flight, without any apparent problem, I second the cautious approach!

strake
27th Jan 2009, 17:23
F3G
That link refers to the use of mobile phones. The OP is not suggesting use of a mobile phone. They are asking why the PED element cannot be used in Flight Safe mode on BMI. A reasonable question given that VS, BA and quite a few others do allow use. Therefore, the suggestion it is a company decision is probably correct.

dougieb2
27th Jan 2009, 22:58
Yet many airlines which will not allow the use of "flight mode" on a telephone will allow use of laptops, all of which nowadays have wireless capability.

The rules at the above reference specifically exclude the use of virtually all modern laptops as they all contain wireless network devices.

I have often seen passengers challenged by cabin crew if they are using a telephone. Never once have I seen a laptop user questioned.

"Excuse me sir , does your laptop have a wireless device built in?" :=

davidjohnson6
28th Jan 2009, 00:54
Does WiFi in a laptop use the same frequency as a typical mobile phone ? Further, does a laptop which keeps searching for some local wireless network have the same effect on navigational kit ? What about laptops with Bluetooth installed ?

Bushfiva
28th Jan 2009, 02:55
Wifi is around 2.4GHz along with microwave ovens. Cellphones are very approximately 800-950 MHz and 1.8-1.95GHz, depending on the technology used.

Final 3 Greens
28th Jan 2009, 07:35
Strake

Just pointing out that using mobile phones on aircraft is not an airline only decision and showing how the CAA has changed it's view.

Flight mode or otherwise, it's still a mobile phone, although the CAA view seems pragmatic and does not scope flight mode into the rules.

Final 3 Greens
28th Jan 2009, 07:41
WRT laptops, I found out recently that Air Malta now allows the use of DVD drives in flight.

Apparently their rules changed a while ago.

Optical drives used to be a no-no in flight, anyone had experience with other airlines?

Regarding wifi, I always make sure that my laptop wifi is physically switched off before boarding (unless using it with the now departed Boeing Connections service) and I tend to choose laptop models with a physical, rather than software, switch.

I always switch off my BlackBerry, as I don't trust the 'soft' switch to disable the radio.

Final 3 Greens
28th Jan 2009, 07:45
DavidJ6

Further, does a laptop which keeps searching for some local wireless network have the same effect on navigational kit ? What about laptops with Bluetooth installed ?

If you click on this link, the answers are there Portable Electronic Devices | Information for Passengers | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1770&pagetype=90&pageid=9853)

Final 3 Greens
28th Jan 2009, 07:49
Dougieb2

I have often seen passengers challenged by cabin crew if they are using a telephone. Never once have I seen a laptop user questioned.

Interesting question and no I haven't. If they asked me, I'd show them that it is switched off (there is an external switch) and thus is a non transmitting PED.

I did once see someone challenged for using a built in CD drive - that was years ago, though.

Pax Vobiscum
28th Jan 2009, 16:39
Bushfiva is on the money regarding frequencies (Bluetooth also uses the 'microwave oven' 2.4GHz band). The signal power is significantly different, however:
Mobile phones - maximum of 1-2W
Wi-fi - maximum of 100-200mW
Bluetooth - maximum of 1-2mW

CallBell
28th Jan 2009, 20:07
Aer Lingus wont allow it either for some reason!

EI won't allow it under instruction from the IAA is what I have been told.