PDA

View Full Version : Message from the Ambulance Service

Sewing Machine Man
26th Jan 2009, 15:33
No an exclusively Helicopter related post, but an excellent idea I think you’ll agree..

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory. If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency? Hence this 'ICE' (In Case of Emergency) Campaign.

The concept of 'ICE' is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As mobile phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name 'ICE' ( In Case Of Emergency).. The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents there were always mobile phones with patients but they didn't know which number to call.

He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognised name for this purpose.

In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital Staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialling the number you have stored as 'ICE'. Please forward this. It won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest.

For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc

JTobias
26th Jan 2009, 16:25
It's an excellent idea and I am familiar with it. However, readers should bear in mind that the concept has, regrettably, been abused on occasions. If the phone is lost or stolen, the ICE numbers have been mis-used creating the entirely reverse effect and some considerable anxiety.

I definateley don't want to appear to be being negative about this clever concept or not encouraging it's use I just want to highlight that the system has sometimes been abused.

Thanks to Sewing Machine Man for highlighting it too.

Joel

airborne_artist
26th Jan 2009, 16:31
First seen in these parts (http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/181460-good-idea.html) in July 2005 :ok:

misterbonkers
26th Jan 2009, 17:07
JTobias,

Surely having things such as 'mum' 'dad' etc on your phone is equally open to abuse if your phone is stolen?

One purpose of the ICE contact is to make sure that the person who gets phoned is most able to deal with the emergency as opposed to your 90 yr old gran getting a phone call (legit or not) stating you've been in an accident and then she drops down dead as a result of the stress.

JTobias
26th Jan 2009, 17:33
Misterbonkers

I'm in total agreement with you that entries for "mum" and "dad" are just as likeley to be abused. Unfortunateley, however the "Emergency" bit of the ICE concept seems to have given the added (negative) effect of encouraging those with less than genuine intentions to capitalise on it.

Honestly, I'm not being negative about the concept I was just trying to get people to consider who their ICE contact is and perhaps ensure that those people are able to screen any calls they receive (but hopefully don't receive).

I really don't want to portray it as a bad idea or discourage it's use. I just want people to ensure who they put as an ICE contact can cope with a call they might get.

In my professional life I am directly (and legitimateley!!) involved with this type of mis-use and I just wanted to highlight it's existence. I honestly don't want to be a stick in the mudd and I hope I've clarified my earlier post. :)

Joel

md 600 driver
27th Jan 2009, 08:42
maybe anotherway would be to have a ice number in your phone that would connect to a database at a ambulance centre ,details could be then given out to responsible partys

with caller id on phones it would be quite easy

niknak
27th Jan 2009, 09:11
It's a brilliant idea which has been on the go for several years and I'm really suprised that the mobile phone companies and industry as a whole don't actively advertise it with all their merchandising.

Yes it is open to abuse, but thankfully such idiots are relatively rare.

I wonder if the awareness of it's existance could be improved by encouraging the industry and charities to get involved?

Woolf
27th Jan 2009, 13:57
Great idea in principle however I would have thought that many people (like me) lock their phone with a pin. Not quite as high tech but a note in the wallet would achieve similar results?

HEDP
27th Jan 2009, 15:17
Am I being totally daft, hospitals already use Next of Kin details so would it not have been better to use NOK rather than ICE as the requirement and abbreviation is already in use? Same concept but using an already circulating abbreviation used by similar organisations.

jimjim1
28th Jan 2009, 00:18
would it not have been better to use NOK

Thing is - ICE is cool.

For me much easier to remember. I think that I will now remember it forever wheras; what was that other one now?

Just my view.

Gordy
28th Jan 2009, 03:08
Am I being totally daft, hospitals already use Next of Kin details so would it not have been better to use NOK rather than ICE as the requirement and abbreviation is already in use? Same concept but using an already circulating abbreviation used by similar organisations.

NOK is NOT worldwide---we have been using ICE here in the US for some years. Most cellphones come with ICE pre-programmed into the contact list...mine has a complete section that allows me to input a whole host of information like blood type, allergies etc.

Heli-Ice
28th Jan 2009, 22:43
ICE is very cool, works well and is international.