PDA

View Full Version : First, fly the aircraft, then......

Jumbo Mumbo
19th Nov 2000, 12:00
Seems to me that the glass cockpit crews seem to rely too much on automatics that when things go pearshape the plane ends up flying the pilot not vice versa. Is there a reluctance to disconnect, fly by hand THEN sort everything out.
Your thoughts please ladies and gentlemen.

There I was at 40,000'with nothing on the clocks but the maker's name; and he was dead.......

Secret Squirrel
20th Nov 2000, 04:20
Not really sure if this is a wind up. Somehow get the idea you're not really a pilot at all. At least not a commercial one.

However, just in case it isn't a wind up, or even if you are a journo after some gen let me explain, Manuel:

The logic is that if something goes wrong, one pilot takes care of the flying, and the other takes care of the problem via memory items and QRH (Quick Reference Handbook). The flying/handling pilot takes care of hdg/alt/spd and (possibly) the radio as well. He (the flying/handling pilot) also monitors the other's drills to make sure that he (the other) does not shut down the wrong component!

Flying the aircraft manually requires much more concentration on too few parameters. the autopilot and autothrottle free up brain capacity (for both pilots!) which is better spent dealing with the situation in hand. Not only on the mere flying of the beast but also thinking ahead (e.g diversions, options etc) Of course, this applies in most cases but by no means all. Handling complications such as frozen or damaged control surfaces and/or runaway trims are but two examples.

Having said this, I agree that the glass cockpit does make for lazy crews. I, for one, wx permitting (and colleague, of course) always seize the oportunity to hand fly the aircraft below 10,000ft WITHOUT a flight director. When I started I was crap and now I can keep to the limits. Some days I permit myself the cocky comment on finals, "I'm taking the automatics out...oh, they're already out", and other days I keep my big mouth firmly shut!!! But in the main I can do it if I have to.

I heard the other day from a captain in one of our major airlines that they have had to incorporate another sim day dedicated solely to raw data flying on a certain fleet because their pilots were out of practice.

Troubled times are not, however, the time to practice these things. If you can leave the automatics in, leave em in!

------------------
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam up my clothes!