PDA

View Full Version : Best Sunglasses?

ryan
11th Oct 2000, 18:47
Whats the best brand of sunglasses to buy for maximum protection, good value (not neccessarily the same as low price!) and good looks?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks.

flex40
11th Oct 2000, 19:29
I find two pieces of glass smoked with candle smoke tied to face with twine best !!

jjj
11th Oct 2000, 19:43
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum41/HTML/000843.html

(click)

Old King Coal
11th Oct 2000, 19:57
Serengetti Drivers

Hugh Jorgen
11th Oct 2000, 20:02
Don't buy too dark a lens, great protection but instruments difficult to see! From what I can gather it dosen't take much to filter out most of the bad stuff. BA supply green lens Ray Bans at about forty quid from there uniform stores (Argosy House) at LHR.

DOC.400
11th Oct 2000, 20:14
Ray-Bans without a doubt -good protection and no problem with clours.

ripsnort
11th Oct 2000, 20:28
oakley m-frames,have been using these for 2 years now and because they rap around they dont let any light in at the sides avoiding the reflections you get with normal aviation type glasses.Unrestricted view due to the design of the lens.Grey lens best for flying,you dont have to take them off when going imc and they are just dark enough at high altitude.In the UK you get superb aftersales service.
One drawback is that they don't fold flat,oh and another,the rest of the crew think you look like a berk!

[This message has been edited by ripsnort (edited 11 October 2000).]

Busta
11th Oct 2000, 20:41
Randolph Engineering, US military issue the best tint around.

Be careful out there.

near enuf is good enuf
11th Oct 2000, 21:23
I'm with ripsnort, Oakleys.
A-Wires though and buy in the U.S.
Dollars for pounds !!

------------------
So that you may not be the martyred slaves of Time,
get drunk, get drunk,
and never pause for rest!
With wine, poetry, or vitrtue,
as you choose!"

CrashDive
11th Oct 2000, 21:44
Some links for your enlightenment:

Randolph Engineering (http://www.randolphusa.com/index.htm)

Ray-Ban (http://www.rayban.com/)

Oakley (http://www.oakley.com)

Ps. Anybody got a manufacturers link for Serengetti ?

GStall
11th Oct 2000, 22:26
Dark sunglasses are no good they cause the eye to open up and that will let in more UV light, which is one of the cause of cataracts. Pilots that don't wear sunglasses are asking for trouble in later life.

latitude
11th Oct 2000, 23:25
The best sunglasses arround for flying have got to be Serengetis.

The lens is perfect with regards to filtration and definition.
As regards to instruments in cokpit it actually enhances the different coulours especially in glass cockpits.

A good web site for Serengeti or other makes is www.sunglasses.com (http://www.sunglasses.com)

Oakleys are great but dont rate that good in protection with plutonite lens.

mach78
11th Oct 2000, 23:43
Just got to go along with Serengeti.If you were used to Ray Bans like I was, just try a pair of Serengeti's - see the difference.

KYBO
12th Oct 2000, 00:51
Serengeti's by a mile.

Had 2 bolle's & a few others never again. As someone before said they enhance the clarity of the instrument panel.

Jurassic Jet Man
12th Oct 2000, 00:56
I agree with the concensus that Serengetti Drivers serve you well. I especially like the lower half being lighter tinted; that helps working in a glass cockpit.

Tempted to try the Oakleys due weight factor on the old nose.

My (usually) very conservative brother wears them (Oakleys) and definitely looks like a plonker, but hey if they work....

PPRuNe Towers
12th Oct 2000, 01:16
As a piece of industrial archeology I've just spent a few days sans Serengetti Drivers. I reverted to my old mil. issue Randolphs.

Arm design still very headset friendly and tint good for lookout. However, efis and general instrumentation really suffered a lack of apparent lumens and the optics seemed devoid of any anti reflective coatings at all. Constant reflections on the eye side of the lens.

Most disappointing result from once cherished shades which have always been cared for. Back to the Drivers for me.

------------------
Regards from the Towers

[email protected]

PS - It's OK to use the word "optics" on this thread......

[This message has been edited by PPRuNe Towers (edited 11 October 2000).]

Portly
12th Oct 2000, 01:21
Serengeti - clearly superior.

(Does this get me a free pair for thinking up their new slogan???).

Joking aside, after years of all sorts of flying, these are the very best, often the most expensive, and are perfect for all types of aviation - I use mine for airliners, light aircraft, aerobatics, soaring, and even (sometimes) lying on the beach!

Freight Dog
12th Oct 2000, 01:30
Busta has it right...

Randolph as issued to the US military aviators.

The New "Air 9's" or raptors.

Last time i got two pair for USD $90 online broke one a year later sent it back to the factory, they sent new pair out free of charge.

What more do you want?

fifthcolumns
12th Oct 2000, 01:49
Ok So much for the vision quality etc.
Serengeti drivers get a good press.

I wear Ray Bans currently, my fourth
pair, but all my non flying friends now laugh at
me, making remarks about the eighties and
implying that I'm not hip to the groove or
whatever.
So my question is which 'shades' are the coolest
and make you look real goooooood. This is important
for my street cred. I can't go out in public anymore
in my Raybans.
I get the impression that the Oakleys might fit the
bill. What about the mil Randolphs, will I look
like an off duty fighter pilot? Please help
my self image is in tatters.
Seriously though, what are the best looking
and good to use in everyones opinion.

[This message has been edited by fifthcolumns (edited 11 October 2000).]

Affangu
12th Oct 2000, 02:03
Randolphs are fine if you are actually IN the U.S. navy and fly with a helmet on. That is why they have a flat frame, they don't need to wrap around, making them useless if you dont fly a fighter like Busta obviously does.

Oakley's all the way dude!

zippyz
12th Oct 2000, 02:09
Years in RayBans (generally teh brown rather than teh green tint) till I finally saw teh light and scripmed up enough shiny stuff to look into some Serengeti Essential Drivers. You can tell the quality at a glance. Eye'll never look back now ;) They're brilliant. Ugh!

Bad puns aside... they are marvellous in my EFIS cockpit from looking down at the screens doing a Cat2 from bright sunshine and into the morning fog at 500' at Stansted to searching outside for the runway lights in the mist. My money's on teh African ;)

------------------
Brad Marsh
[email protected]
Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity, and sometimes I'm not too sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

FcU
12th Oct 2000, 02:58
Serengeti without a doubt

traveler
12th Oct 2000, 03:08
Good topic !
I had ray-ban's for years. Found them a bit heavy. (weight). Borrowed someone's Serengeti's, lens is pretty good but couldn't find a style that closes off the sides enough. Like the Oakley lenses very much but you got to have the right head shape for them to be comfortable. Apparently my head is odd. Settled on REVO. Non of these shades are cheap. But I truly feel its the best investment I've made so far. Both Oakley and REVO actually enhance the colored symbols on our displays. Therefore you can block a bit more total light from outside than with the Serengeti's and still see your instruments crisp and clear. Whether they are cool I don't know. Clearly I bought those for function. Good luck with the search it is worth getting a good pair.

[This message has been edited by traveler (edited 11 October 2000).]

Midnight Blue
12th Oct 2000, 03:13
What is the price-range for a pair of Serengetis? Any chance to save money by knowing where to go for these glasses?

Lobo_0711
12th Oct 2000, 03:38
I have been wearing Serengeti Drivers since the early 80's. They are the most comfortable relaxing sunglasses I have ever tried. I have gone so far as to get Serengeti to make up some prescription lens versions of their drivers now that I am an "old fart!"

No speed Restriction
12th Oct 2000, 04:31
Have to agree with the majority of posts here....Serengeties for me!! Paid around $65 for them so not expensive....
I have tried the rest, 2 pairs of randolphs.....good but grey lenses don't seem to enhance your view.
Raybans..well just a bit too big for my head .....
Serengetis......undoubtedly one fo the best lenses around...even helps to wear them when the weather is pretty damn poor..seem to cut through all that crap outside ....AND ...enhance instrumentation and colours.
Cloudmasters.also excellent but little known....
Suntigers...fantastic....however colours are completely altered and if you want to look daft buy a set ( Bright orange lenses). Hope this helps!!

Dr. Red
12th Oct 2000, 06:39
My vote goes for the serengittis - best sunglasses on earth!

paraffin
12th Oct 2000, 06:43
Have a look at www.ashford.com (http://www.ashford.com) . If you find a pair you want it's worthwhile hitting special offer for a big discount. I've bought several things through these guys and have only had good experiences.

Nothing beats the look of aviators.

Propellor
12th Oct 2000, 06:56
Here's another Serengeti fan.Using them for over 4 years now.
The difference between a Serengeti and another pair is that you may add one thousand metres to the reported visibility with the serengetis.Literally.
Great for landing into the sun on a hazy winter morning.
The best site for them was http://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/, (i just got a replacement temple from them), altho' they are modifying the site for the time being.

sgt-bilko
12th Oct 2000, 07:11
REVO....ask any optician worth their salt ..these guys are the ones who designed all nasa's lenses (with the exception of hubble) crap name great glasses unfortunately big money ..everything else is just catch up ..borrow a pair

fatter bloke
12th Oct 2000, 07:19
REVO, had the Randolph's etc. and they are nothing compared to the REVO glasses, just try them for yourself they are worth the money
cheers

Holodek7
12th Oct 2000, 08:10
I carry two pairs in my flight bag. For bright sunny days or 'on-top', I wear Ray-Ban Olympian I Deluxe, which are a gold rimmed wrap-around (way better looking than the predator), that look so fast that I swear I get an extra 10 kts out of the machine.No need to look prudish in Ray-Bans!

My all around utility glasses for all other conditions, particularly in cloud are Serengetti Driver's with a gradient lens so that you can see the instruments below the coaming more easily while not sacrificing the light cutting properties above. They actually improve the acuity of approach lights in reduced visibility daylight approaches.If you're going for just one pair, these would be my recommendation.

Oakleys are great sunnies, but hugely overpriced for what they are (particularly the Pro M frames).They are also not nearly as durable (with a coated polycarbonate lens). Count on replacing the lens once every couple of years (that's if you don't wear them outside of work!) at $70 USD a pop.

CHEERS!

Holodek7
12th Oct 2000, 08:18
REVO's are so overpriced they make Oakleys look like good value, and they're still coated polycarbonates, which are light and comfy, but high maintenance.

jumpingdoc
12th Oct 2000, 09:15
Search Yahoo "sunglasses". many good deals. I have bought several pairs, no problem. Good reviews too.

EasyGo-Lucky?
12th Oct 2000, 09:50
Unfortunately, sat on a pair of Serengeti Drivers sunglasses. Before renewing them I decided to search the Net for more info. It became very apparent that Revo lenses are considered the best, and they have lense suited to the flying enviroment. Purchased a pair and they do live upto their reputation, much better than the Serengetis or any other sunglasses I have owned. They are expensive but what price do you place on your sight? I can highly recommend them without reservation.

Localiser
12th Oct 2000, 12:17
Randolphs

Randolphs

Randolphs

LOC :)

Captain Mercurius
12th Oct 2000, 12:46
I am using Rayban Bausch & Lomb with G-15 lenses on the last 28 years!

In my opinion, and based on my own experience, these are the most adequate sunglasses for pilots. :) :)

Safe flying to all

Mercurius

GT
12th Oct 2000, 13:01
Randolphs for me.

RVR800
12th Oct 2000, 14:52
I got a nice pair from poundstretcher

£1.99

They are the muts nuts

Parapunter
12th Oct 2000, 15:18
Does anyone know of a website to get these darn things cheap ? I fancy a new pair, & noticed that with Oakley it's almost dollars for pounds, but despatch is USA only. Rip off Britain ? I'll say.

Silver Tongued Cavalier
12th Oct 2000, 16:00
A mate just got me a pair of AO (American Optical) sunwear glasses from a USAF Base, now the standard issue, only $20 and very similar to Randolphs, great glasses for flying!

Devils Advocate
12th Oct 2000, 16:14
Might pay to remember that when a large corporation (eg. USAF, RAF) purchase job lots of equipment/glasses, they're opting for the best priced stuff, and not neccessarily the best stuff !

traveler
12th Oct 2000, 16:19
www.sunglasshut.com (http://www.sunglasshut.com) sells mine,
the REVO Extreme Wrap for $194.99 ( US Dollar )
Expensive? yes. The wrap shape cuts the light from the side so you
won't have the glare on the inside of your lens.
Again they're a little fast looking for the cockpit, (the " I'll be back " effect ),
but think function. You have to try it to believe it.

pax domina
12th Oct 2000, 16:28
Just a note on where to look for some good prices . . .

If you are in the US (possibly all of North America by now) and if you have a membership (or know someone who does and is willing to be kind) Sam's Club and Costco often have the above mentioned brands at nice prices.

On the internet, I have found it worth searching *camping* sites - try www.campmor.com (http://www.campmor.com) (look under "super special deals" for discounted items) and www.sierratradingpost.com (http://www.sierratradingpost.com) . . . the latter is all 2nds (mind, I don't think I've ever seen them offering 2nds on sunglasses) or closeouts, and there are often some very good deals.

PiLoco
12th Oct 2000, 17:32
Been flying in the tropics for a decade, lots of sun and glare here. Strongly prefer Ray-Bans, can't read the model number but it is the "outdoorsman" with gold frames, sweat bar, and 58mm lenses.

I don't like glasses that "wrap around" too much, as I am dual rated and don't like to lose my peripheral vision at all in helicopters when hovering. Neither do I like my US military issue shades, since (at least on me) they fall off when I'm looking down and around during the preflight.

My sweat corrodes two or three pairs of Ray Bans a year, but I figure it's just a cost of professional flying. To me, Ray Bans are to sunglasses what David Clark is to headsets (remember those?). Not cheap, not flashy, maybe not even fashionable in some circles, but they've endured for a reason.

Aw, heck, it's all subjective, I'm just giving you my *personal* opinion.

PiLoco
12th Oct 2000, 17:38
Uh, another comment...(sorry):

Looks? Who cares about "looks?" I'll take function over form any time.

PPRuNe Towers
12th Oct 2000, 22:34
As in the past incarnations of the subject two pages and the same 2 or 3 brands getting the most recommendations.

Moving this thread over to Aircrew Notices for any further posts.

------------------
Regards from the Towers

[email protected]

Dj
12th Oct 2000, 23:04
Had Ray- Bans for years, in sunnier climes than the UK. Worked wonders. Someone introduced me to REVO's. Perfect.

Before you buy any, beg steal(and return) or borrow a pair. Worth every cent

Norman Goering
12th Oct 2000, 23:17
Had Ray-Ban for a while. Way heavy and bend out of shape quickly. Got a pair of Oakley "New" Frogskins - their "cheap" range with gold iridium lenses, faultless apart from a pain to keep the lenses smear free. Perfect fit for headsets and enough wrap around to cut out any side glare and not look too poserish! I wear glasses, and not contacts so swapping eye wear in flight was a deciding factor (prescription lenses were extortionate). I also purchased them with an optician present to give advice on lense types etc. Whatever type you go for, I recommend that approach. No experience of other makes so can't comment. Might check out Serengetti's though. Anyone know presription lense costs?

Busta
13th Oct 2000, 03:10
Randolphs use the same tint as US military helmet single visors, by far and away the best I have used; developed for functionality not cost.

be careful out there.

Ivor Biggun
15th Oct 2000, 10:36
Are the Serengeti photochromic lenses suitable for flying? ie the ones that change colour...

They'd be good for flying when you're looking in and out of the cockpit, but do the lenses change quick enough??

And does anyone know of any stores in Australia that have a range of more than 3 Serengeti's (like most stores here on the Gold Coast)?

Wee Weasley Welshman
16th Oct 2000, 21:51
You guys with the Serengetis - do you have the Drivers-Sienna lens or the Drivers-Gradient lens as fitted to the Aviator frame?

Cheers

the old Randolphs are rusting away and Christmas looms...

Agaricus bisporus
19th Oct 2000, 03:36
Can I be the only person that is aghast at the idea of spending £100 / $160 on a pair of sunglasses?

Prescription glasses which are scientifically ground to increidible accuracy can be had for a mere fraction of this off the shelf, so how the hell can plain shades cost so much?

Are you all being duped?

AV8 consultants
20th Oct 2000, 03:38
I have a pair of Raybans that I had Ziess lenses put in. The tint looks brown but the view is fantastic especially if you are glider pilots as they define cloud very well. Even on the brightest day Oz I never squint and the colour perception is exactly the same as real life, no green tint.
The lenses are available from most opticians but they are a little pricey, but worth every cent.

[This message has been edited by AV8 consultants (edited 19 October 2000).]

criticalmass
8th Nov 2000, 00:42
Zeiss "Dark Umbral" lenses, have your optometrist grind them to fit the frames of your choice to weat under headsets etc.

These are optical glass, soft, scratch relatively easily but superb performance under all conditions. No idea of current pricing, I've had my present pair for many years!