PDA

View Full Version : Jobs in Flightwatch

JackoSchitt
25th Jan 2009, 20:32
interesting job listing on ASA's website...

JobOffice (http://airservicesaustralia.nga.net.au/fnt_info_page.cfm?JobID=3825&info_mode=new_app&MemberID=0)

does this mean that the flightwatch VHF reveiw is secretly complete and that ASA needs staff to run it because it is being made a discrete function again?

nah, they let 19 go on redundancy this time last year

who knows with this lot

das Uber Soldat
26th Jan 2009, 08:06
The whole flightwatch thing is f*@$@ ridiculous. I got redirected to 5, yes 5 different frequencies the other week just to try to submit a VFR flight plan diversion through CTA as I had a sick student.

Every person I talked to redirected me to someone else who didnt want to talk to me. Not one person would take my details and I had to fly an extra 40 or so track miles to get around the back of Richmond. Thank god for puke bags.

Maybe I would have gotten their attention better by flying into the Richmond zone? :E

300Series
26th Jan 2009, 09:24
Soldat that raises an interesting point. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but i think it is a worthwhile idea, however the practicality of it is something else.

At the end of the day us pilots think that all the ATC guys do is sit in their air con room sipping coffee all day and they dont have to deal with weather, pax etc etc

It would be interesting just as an idea to take some ATC guys/gals on various flights so they get our perspective of what happens, and then us pilots go visit the ATC guys/gals in their office and get a perspective of what goes on from their end.

I appreciate the fact that a few ATC have PPL etc etc.

Full respect to ATC they do a pretty good job most of the time;)

Philthy
26th Jan 2009, 09:42
Maybe I would have gotten their attention better by flying into the Richmond zone?

Did you ever think of declaring a PAN? That's what it's for...

BPA
26th Jan 2009, 10:09
17 years ago I was a Flight Data (ADSO) at Sydney and took VR as our jobs was being replaced by computers. 6 months later I was back at the CAA working as a Flight Data on 12 month contract due to the computer system not woking as it should.

das Uber Soldat
26th Jan 2009, 10:18
Did you ever think of declaring a PAN? That's what it's for...

Perhaps I over dramatised. He was sick, but not that sick. :)

Ex FSO GRIFFO
26th Jan 2009, 13:40
Hey 'Jacko',...

Is it the plan to bring on more LESSER PAID staff at a LOWER grading to replace those HIGHER PAID staff who took the VR, do ya think ??
And then claim to do 'things' more economically....

Or, is it just 'the usual' incopetence.......:eek::eek:

Whaddya rekon??

The Voice
26th Jan 2009, 20:48
oohah Griff - that's very cynical of you :E .. of course when you visit the website there isn't any mention of the money on offer.

Going back to work 6 months after taking VR must have made a tax man's dream come true ..

300series - that used to be done in the good old days - and yes it does shed light on some things for both groups. However. in today's environment, there probably isn't sufficient spare staff to cover such a luxury for ATC boys and girls.

BlinkC182
26th Jan 2009, 23:02
Level 1 salary - 61,486 after training.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
27th Jan 2009, 01:42
G'Day 'Voicey'....Been on Leave??:ok::ok:

Thanks for that Mr 'Blink' sounds very 'reasonable'....

Cheers

The Voice
27th Jan 2009, 21:22
if $61k-ish is the base - what are the optional add ons worth? ie ED's, are PH's in the composite these days or are penalties paid if worked?

Bet we wouldn't get a look in Griff :( we'd be too clever by half!

(nah, not on leave - wish I was but!! Audi hunting in April THIS YEAR :E )

JackoSchitt
1st Feb 2009, 02:44
I spoke to some friends who work there and they say the newbs get at least 2 endorsments on startup ($72K) and if they have a relelvant external qualification (like relevant degree or diploma etc), they can go to $82 after initial check out.

According to their certified agreement, ausfic people have a range of salaries according to their endorsments held.

www.cpsu.org.au/multiversions/4213/FileName/ASA_Certified_Agreement_FINAL_160905.pdf (http://www.cpsu.org.au/multiversions/4213/FileName/ASA_Certified_Agreement_FINAL_160905.pdf)

They also say that this is the reason that Ausfic is very lean as all the staff have multiple endorsments and work across a broad range of areas.

Dnav31
2nd Feb 2009, 19:01
Can anyone give an indication as to how long the training is? And is the Training in Brisvegas or in MEL??

JackoSchitt
2nd Feb 2009, 20:52
Flightwatch is only in BNE so i guess the training is done there too.

According to the ad at JobOffice (http://airservicesaustralia.nga.net.au/fnt_info_page.cfm?JobID=3825&info_mode=new_app&MemberID=0) make a phone call and find out I guess...

"If you require further information, please contact Ray Farmer on (07) 3866 3545"

merlinn
3rd Feb 2009, 02:58
Spoke to Ray yesterday, said 3 months training in brisbane, followed by 3 months on job, followed by 3 months training and another 3 months on job. Basically you get 2 endorsements at the end of the first year, and resonable pay.

The Green Goblin
3rd Feb 2009, 03:10
And who could think of anything worse than sitting on a HF radio all day!

They deserve twice the starting pay and then some more in my opinion!

Ex FSO GRIFFO
6th Feb 2009, 10:27
So, how many 'ex' pilots applied for the FlightWatch positions I wonder...?

Good pay - AND its EVERY fortnight - and, sometimes, time to drink the coffee...

Knackers
6th Feb 2009, 21:45
And who could think of anything worse than sitting on a HF radio all day!

I spent a decade sitting on HF daily and loved every minute of it. Took calls from all around the world.

merlinn
7th Feb 2009, 01:40
Slightly off topic here, but after speaking to the Ray he stated that they wanted someone with extremely good knowledge of radio use, phraseology etc. Apart from what we learn whilst doing PPL/CPL (flight radio operaters licence) etc what other courses are available that specifically relate to the use of VHF/UHF?

JackoSchitt
7th Feb 2009, 08:24
Hmmmm, Who uses HF.....

Amateur Radio certainly
IPS (Ionospheric Prediction Service) has an educational arm
RDFS and Military also come to mind
4WD clubs

Certainly 1, 2 and 4 you can do.

oh, a google is your friend too!!!

Thermal Bandit
7th Feb 2009, 10:12
Flight Watch is far removed from its orgins in Flight Service but it nice to see some of the old hands on Pprune :)