PDA

View Full Version : Saturday night at the movies...

Parapunter
25th Jan 2009, 20:54
Have you been to the Kinema lately?

I saw Slumdog Millionaire this week. It's a rare thing, a movie that's as good as all the talking heads have said it is. Loved it, absolutely loved it. A true love story and uplifting inspite of itself.

Also saw Valkyrie today. Mmm, noot so good. Pretty tight thriller, a fascinating tale & reasonably true to events, but like Titanic & the Bible, there's always something slightly deflationary in knowing the outcome of a story before you go in. Oh and Tom Cruise plays Tom Cruise. Can't help thinking they should have offered the Stauffenberg role to, well anyone other than Tom Cruise. I wonder too if Bruno Ganz was offered Hitler's role.

Still, go see Slumdog, it really is very good indeed.

tony draper
25th Jan 2009, 21:25
How did they manage the camera trickery to get someone who is 4'2" to play a 6'3" German?
:uhoh::rolleyes:

Parapunter
25th Jan 2009, 21:32
I was discussing this with my mate who attended the premiere no less, with his German girlfriend. Zee girlfreund pointed out in a timely und efficient manor that the whole cast, who briefly stood on stage and said a few words to the audience, were with the single exception of Bill Nighy, a sack of shortarses. So I guess that is how that was done.:rolleyes:

Standard Noise
26th Jan 2009, 03:18
Went to see Defiance last week. Not as good as I thought it was going to be, but not a bad old yarn all the same.

fireflybob
26th Jan 2009, 09:02
Saw Valkyrie last night and was not that impressed but it got me thinking about what the course of history might have been if they had succeeded in the assassination of Hitler:-

The Nazi's made peace with the west and stayed in power till the 60's or beyond. Tom Cruise's dad joined the Russians to defeat Facism. He was killed. Tom Cruise wasn't born and didn't make this ghastly movie.

El Grifo
30th May 2010, 10:28
Watched a pretty good Film last night titled "Green Zone" with Matt Damon.

It covers the infamous "Non WMD" issue, a subject close to the heart of quite a number of contributers here.

It is an American work of fiction of course, but not quite the American work of fantasy that was U-571 and the capture of the Enigma Machine.

The movie resonates quite nicely with what many of us thought, while watching the great WMD Swindle unfold.

Give it a watch and allow yourself a wry little smile :ok:

Capetonian
30th May 2010, 10:54
I enjoyed Slumdog Millionaire but it showed the horrific cruelty which is innate in Indian society. Despite that, it was ultimately uplifting as Parapunter said.

Saw Invictus just after it came out, and although I am not remotely interested in Rugby, it was a film I enjoyed primarily for its generous portrayal of Nelson Mandela. Matt Damon's portrayal of Francois Pienaar was excellent but Morgan Friedman's accent left much to be desired, althoughg he got the voice and body language right.

We watched 'Benjamin Button' the other night, a story of a baby who was born old and grew young ..... very odd, but challenging and thought provoking.

Three films in a year ..... that's a lot for me and the year is barely half way through.

Bruce Wayne
30th May 2010, 11:09
just going back to Valkyrie, as an aside, a couple of years ago good friend of mine worked for a German firm in the city. His boss was the grandson of Claus Von Stauffenberg, who would often when entering a conference room would say "I'm just putting my briefcase under the table."

Fubaar
30th May 2010, 11:30
Top of my list of recent films would have to go to 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'. Utterly superb.

I haven't read the books, but have them on order. Everyone assures me they're as good or better than the film.

Don't let the fact that it has subtitles put you off - the movie's so good you won't even realise they're there. That's two in a row Swedish films that I'd rate 10 out of 10 - this one and 'As it is in Heaven' (a very different style of film to the Dragon Tattoo).

JEM60
30th May 2010, 11:37
Don't get to cinema much these days, but saw Clint Eastwood's recent film 'Gran-Torino' on a plane and then later on DVD. Excellent, very poignant film indeed.

Der absolute Hammer
30th May 2010, 16:17
Saw The Hurt Locker recently.
The first twenty minutes or so were like watching a newsreel with Polanski overtones.
Although not at all my glass of schnapps since I perfer total escapism, I found the film very conversation provoking. A very good movie which should no ways be thought of as be compared to that dreadful Blackhawk Down.

As for Avatar-wonder what would have happened if the many colour combinations had been in oranges and reds instead of that peaceful blues and hues?

Clash of the Titans. Probably better in normal than in 3D. Seriously cringeworthy script not recompensed by special effects. Absolutely a total failure and more especially when compared with the 1981 Olivier and Andress production.

Alice in Wonderland.

Not too bad-much disappointed with Johnny Depp-a favourite.
The movie does not translate well, I think, into either Russian or Urdu.

This was a fun ghoulash of ghostly ghastliness.

http://files.booksandmovies.webnode.com/200000022-525d653576/cine_helsing_wall4_1024_768800.jpg

That's all folks!

SpringHeeledJack
30th May 2010, 16:37
I watched that film with George Clooney, where he is a road warrior in the extreme, 'letting people go' in proxy for large corporations around the continental US. His character was powerful, dynamic and competent, yet divorced from normal life, emotional closeness and empathy (and that's just me :}) I found it touching as he slowly opened himself up to 'normal' life, though with a few speed bumps on the way.

Up in the Air, is the film's name i've just recalled, and it was all the more poignant with it's backdrop being planes, trains and automobiles, plus rental cars/hotels/corporate goings on etc that touch so many of our lives.

SHJ

lomapaseo
30th May 2010, 17:39
I watched that film with George Clooney, where he is a road warrior in the extreme, 'letting people go' in proxy for large corporations around the continental US. His character was powerful, dynamic and competent, yet divorced from normal life, emotional closeness and empathy (and that's just me ) I found it touching as he slowly opened himself up to 'normal' life, though with a few speed bumps on the way.

Totally unbelieveable. I never meet cute chiks in airport lounges who just want to have a fling while on the road, perhaps they're all taken by the studs ahead of me

SpringHeeledJack
30th May 2010, 18:24
I never meet cute chiks in airport lounges who just want to have a fling while on the road, perhaps they're all taken by the studs ahead of me

Either that, or the guys flashing the greenbacks around :ok:

SHJ

larssnowpharter
30th May 2010, 18:28
Can't wait to see the new Shrek!

Great characters, totally believable plot, bad hats, humour. What more do you need?

tony draper
30th May 2010, 19:55
I like that Johnny Depp as well, which is unusual for me as I usually loath young folk,he is the only actual actor Hollywood has produced from that generation,plenty of movie stars but no actors.
I enjoyed the Pirates of the Carribean series.
:rolleyes:

Sprogget
30th May 2010, 20:02
I watched the invention of lying the other night. That's an hour & a half of my life Hollywood owes me. Mind, I redeemed things with the lives of others. Top stuff that is.

El Grifo
30th May 2010, 20:10
I watched the invention ofl ying

That'll be a chinese film right !!! :ok:

Der absolute Hammer
30th May 2010, 20:12
If you are of the sensitive nature and like Johnny Depp, have you seen the Tim Burton 1990 Edward Scissorhand with also JD and your Wionna Ryder?

http://bp2.blogger.com/_EJAbpY9_dz4/R6WBxdBeJmI/AAAAAAAAACo/oxfUGxkGCrg/s320/ed.bmp

No?

Go on-you might like it.

tony draper
30th May 2010, 20:13
The trick is to avoid filums the fluffies recommend,such as the one on tonight,Billy Feckin Elliot, had I been his father I wudda kicked his arse and got him a job in the pickle factory.
:)

Der absolute Hammer
30th May 2010, 20:18
Indeed!
What is needed over this Dunkirk week are some darn good war flims and not the nancy stuff beloved of grasshoppers in blue socks and sandles.