PDA

View Full Version : Flight Ops career

ac hoon
25th Jan 2009, 18:12
Hi all,

I need some advice from people with a lot more knowlege than I have of this area of aviation.

A quick history. Qualified commercial pilot with around 500 hours and been slugging it out in the Oz GA industry for around 7 years. Moved to the UK about 6 years ago to convert my licence with frozen ATPL and get that dream job. Needless to say the job hasn't eventuated and I've been working in a completed unrelated industry.
Am now very keen to get back into aviation and am looking into Flight Ops as an option. Have experience in General Aviation but not the Airlines and have flight planning and related knowledge to UK ATPL standard.
What would be the prospects for someone like myself considering I'm 34? Am not adverse to starting at the bottom (been doing it in GA for years anyway) as long as there's chances for advancement and reasonable salaries at the end of it!

Where do I start, should I do any courses, what companies are out there etc...

Many thanks

Grasscarp
25th Jan 2009, 19:59
I went into flight operations with less qualifications than you already have, although I joined the first airline I worked for in a different capacity to begin with. In the UK there is no formal training, and everything I learnt was on the job coupled with in house training. Your best bet would be to approach those airlines that you are interested in and see what vacancies they have.

slair76116
26th Jan 2009, 03:50
Hey there I suggest you complete a Dispatch Licence...and if you have the money a course jetplanner and Etops all three including the licence is offered by jep's...

there are good courses offered by Iata as-well including Train the trainer an avation managment...

All of these would make your CV look good...best paying jobs as far as i know GA pays better than the airlines....

I know middle east pays a lot...but it living here might not agree with you...

pay vary's from US $2000 - $6000 in the operations field not counting managment which pays higher...

Just my 2 cents...I'm also very new to the industry...:ok:

ubaid123
27th Jan 2009, 20:04
Hi Slair

Im living in duabi and i hold GCAA flight dispctahcre license.

Can you guide me on wheer and how to look for jibs , it has to be good paying , as you might know how expensive dubai is becomming.

Would love to move out of here so any where in Gulf would work , qatar saudi kuwait bahrain oman ,

please can you help me out.

Thanks a bunch and have a great day

Cumulonimbuss
29th Jan 2009, 16:53
Slair,

Seems like you looking out for job opportunities, was at tht phase once in my life too.. Will give you some honest opinion looking at the market currently... not many companies are hiring the ones that are hiring, arent thinking twice before they fire someone..

You can either get into a dispatch unit or join a company as a controller in any flight support services jetex palm did to name a few...

this would get you the contacts and over an year or so you might be able to understand what we do in flight operations. the above is just a suggestion. it worked for me doesent always mean it should for you.

In cas of any more questions or querries please feel free to send in a pm or email, more than happy to help you.

V/R
Cumulonimbuss