PDA

View Full Version : BA 777 - in flight entertainment

MR7958
25th Jan 2009, 16:04
I've flown a few times recently from LHR to JFK on BA 747s they have all had the new video on demand system with the library of films and tv shows to pick from.

I am due to fly JFK to JHR in February and see that it will be on a 777. From what I've read on some old(ish) forum posts these planes do not yet have the AVOD system.

Is that still right?

dubh12000
25th Jan 2009, 16:08
Some do. The last couple of times in EWR we had the new AVOD on the 777s.

(I'm a great help, I know)

Gassy
25th Jan 2009, 18:13
Flown LHR to PHL a couple of weeks ago on a BA777 and it did not have the AVOD. Think its a case of hit or miss.

raffele
25th Jan 2009, 19:19
Again, not that this helps a lot, but I remember reading somewhere a while back that the AVOD couldn't be installed on all the BA 777's. I think it said that the GE powered 777's couldn't be fitted with the AVOD as there wasn't enough power available for the system.

MR7958
25th Jan 2009, 22:34
Thank you all. You have confirmed what I thought. It's a night flight, so guess I might opt for the option of trying to sleep rather than watching AVOD.

raffele
26th Jan 2009, 07:34
It's worth pointing out that the 777's tend to have the old 12 channel entertainment system which, if your lucky, will contain a few good movies that you can watch back to back. And of course, there's always the music channels and the moving map...

apaddyinuk
26th Jan 2009, 12:46
A number of the non ER 777s are fitted with the GMIS entertainment system which is non AVOD. These aircraft (18 in the fleet) although still receiving the upgraded Club World will not be able to receive an AVOD update and instead will have two different cycles of movies.

The 777s only started to receive their updates from last September and to date about 20 should have been converted. To the end of 08 the following aircraft should be converted... G-RAES, YMMP, YMMI, VIIW, VIIU, YMMH, YMMF, VIIV, YMMJ, VIIX, YMMG, YMMO, YMMN, YMMK, VIID, VIIE, VIIF and YMML!

So that makes almost half the fleet. But it will be hit and miss at present especially with the east coast routes as they use a mix of non-long range aircraft and long range aircraft which seem to be getting the upgrades first!

Hope that helps.

Techman5
8th Feb 2009, 20:08
Having used both the BA 777 and the Virgin A340 recently, in cattle class, I can say that Virgin A340 is miles better for IFE.

Both the technology and content are much better on Virgin. I don't know if Virgin's technology is standard Airbus, or is specific to Virgin, but you get a playstation like controller and a selection of games as well as good film choice.

Obviously, the content is down to the airlines, and presumably Virgin spend more on it than BA. However, a good IFE package must be one of the cheepest ways of making the 7-11 hours cramped into a seet more bearable.

A bit off topic, but the 777 BA seats feel a bit wider than the Virgin A340 seats. I think the 777 was noisier, but smoother than the A340. The BA pilots appear to put the seat belts on even in no turbulance (i.e. most of the flight), which is a pain for those who want to stretch their legs or use the facilities.

apaddyinuk
22nd Feb 2009, 20:10
Obviously, the content is down to the airlines, and presumably Virgin spend more on it than BA. However, a good IFE package must be one of the cheepest ways of making the 7-11 hours cramped into a seet more bearable.

Although I am inclined to agree with you I did read somewhere recently that IFE systems are now the second most expensive pieces of equipment onboard aircraft after the engines!

BA will be introducing a brand new AVOD system by Thales next year with the delivery of the new 777-300's. The system will also be installed on the 787's and A380s when they are delivered. I sadly doubt however that it will be retrofitted onto the current fleet at any time.

I have also heard that BA are looking into a portable entertainment system for premium cabins onboard the GMIS 777 aircraft!

amphan
10th Jan 2013, 09:20
According to a BA press release
"All 52 747's will be among the first to receive the new Thales ntertainment system from Dec 2012 "
Does anyone know if this is happening & what the schedule is.
We are flying LHR-BKK in March:D

champair79
10th Jan 2013, 20:34
MR7958,

JFK is often operated with a Thales equipped aircraft (be it a 777-300ER or a refurbished -200) although you may get any variant depending on aircraft scheduling.

For your help, the following aircraft ABOVE the dotted line have the Thales IFE and those listed BELOW the dotted line are still equipped with the old unpopular GMIS 'loop' system which is being withdrawn from use. Currently Cardiff are refurbishing about one aircraft a month although this will increase in February to 2x a month once the final long haul 767 has been refurbished.

777-200
G-ZZZC
-----------------------------------------GMIS LISTED BELOW
G-ZZZA
G-ZZZB

777-200ER
G-VIIA
G-VIIB
G-VIID
G-VIIG
G-VIIH (currently being fitted at Cardiff and will be finished early Feb)
G-RAES
G-VIIJ
G-VIIK
G-VIIL
G-VIIM
-----------------------------------------GMIS LISTED BELOW
G-VIIC
G-VIIE
G-VIIF
G-VIIN
G-VIIS

In addition, all of the 777-300ER's (G-STB* series) have Thales fitted.

The rest of the G-VII* series aircraft have the Rockwell Collins AVOD installed which is the same as that fitted to the Rolls-Royce powered 777-200ER's, long haul 767's and all of the 747's.

Hope that is some help. PM me if you'd like to know your aircraft but make sure it's about a day or closer before the flight otherwise it has a high probability of changing! Aircraft are only allocated to a service 2 days in advance anyway.

Champ

P.S. Amphan, I am not aware of any of the 747's receiving Thales. The Rockwell Collins AVOD will serve them well until they start being retired from next year.

Originally BA was not going to equip the GE 777's with Thales but following such poor reviews, it was decided to embark on an expensive refit process to install it as part of their mid-life refurbishment. The installation of the system involves removing all of the GMIS wiring in the cabin and laying a completely new system architecture down in the aircraft. It was for this reason that it was originally not thought to be cost effective. It's not simply the case that you fit new seats and bigger screens!

Omnipresent
11th Jan 2013, 21:52
"All 52 747's will be among the first to receive the new Thales ntertainment system from Dec 2012 "
Does anyone know if this is happening & what the schedule is.

I've not heard anything about this. Thales would certainly be an upgrade from Rockwell Collins but, unreliable as it is, it's unlikely to happen.

BALHR
12th Jan 2013, 13:51
So when will all 747s, 777s and 767s recive the latest version of BA's AVOD IFE system

Interesting to see however that BA plans to include to ALL its 747-400s, any indication of their retirements being delayed?