PDA

View Full Version : Capt Sully "We were just doing what we were trained to do"

Golf_Seirra
25th Jan 2009, 05:08
Hopefully the great job done by the crew on the Hudson river will start to make some of the bean-counters realise they need to start paying local SA regional crews a "professional" salary before all the experience dries up and the local SA news is reporting a similar incident with the loss of all life.

I'm afraid our excellent safety record is only 'a matter of time' away from a really big one...

Pay us to do our jobs and respect us as professionals just like any other hi-risk sector or profession where your life is in ‘our hands’.

That said, the pay disparity between entry level positions and the ‘skygods’ is one for another thread…..

Pitch&Fan
25th Jan 2009, 08:24
RE:

"That said, the pay disparity between entry level positions and the ‘skygods’ is one for another thread….."

Actually not G_S, as you are indeed discussing PARITY (refer to the "disparity" described in your post).

COMAIR, SAX, SA Airlink and Onetime are excellent operations, and well deserving of a fair deal. Please remember that when SAAPA negotiated parity (which is now a thing of the past), Comair was still flying F-27's, SAX had just started, Airlink had just emerged from the Magnum cacoon, and Onetime was 12 years away from conception.

You guys will need to negotiate your own deals. SAA pilots are indeed paid fairly, but that really should not offend the rest of the guys out there.

Good luck chaps. It will be a very great pity, as you rightly said, if we were to continue loosing the experienced guys to foreign operators because of poor pay conditions. I'm sure SAAPA will be prepared to share some info, and experience if asked.

Then again.. maybe this should be on another thread, or has this all been discussed before?

Cheers,

P&F
(Team Skygod)

Skillie
25th Jan 2009, 12:04
Eish I read Capt Scully. They also walk on water. :ok:

flux
25th Jan 2009, 12:07
Nice post pitch :ok:

ORANPO
25th Jan 2009, 14:30
Isnt he aviations gift 2 all!

25th Jan 2009, 16:19
Skillie

Open your eyes, pictures tell another tale : flying on water !!!!;)

Beta Light
26th Jan 2009, 02:19
You guys will need to negotiate your own deals. SAA pilots are indeed paid fairly, but that really should not offend the rest of the guys out there.

This is a very valid statement, but until the playing field is level it will always be a problem for the operators who have to negotiate with a management that can only offer what the balance sheet allow.

It is easier to offer fair pay if you know the tax payer will pick up the tab. That offend some. Equal pay for equal performance should be in the formula.

Golf_Seirra
26th Jan 2009, 06:17
Checked, his nickname is Sully, adleast according to his wife....( Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger III, ).

Sorry to team Skygod and before this one gets out of hand.....I was referring to P2 vs P1 salaries. Across the spectrum, it seems like P2's get the apprentice salary for a lot longer than most professions.....

Pitch&Fan
27th Jan 2009, 05:46
G_S

No problem from this side... Thanks for clarifying.

Cheers,

P&F