PDA

View Full Version : Mice advise?

25th Jan 2009, 00:33
I've had a mouse take up residence in house.

Discovered the evidence a couple of weeks ago.

House built in 1935 and so air bricks abound all the way round at ground level.

Mate lent me his humane mouse trap so I set it and stuck it in the cupboard where the waste bin is, and within a couple of days I got him/her.

Frantic little chap, eyes wide with fear but he need not have worried - I built him a little insulated wooden house with a small entrance and set it into the gappy stone wall at bottom of garden.

Trying to get him in there was a failure - he took off all jet propelled and shot under a bush.

Wasn't going to set the trap again as I thought job done - but I did (in case he had friends) and loaded it with a one inch square lump of ASDA mature cheese.

Sure enough this morning there was a rather fatter version of what I believe to be the same mouse - but to me one mouse looks very much like another.

He had eaten the one inch square piece of cheese from ASDA - all of it!

I duly took him down the garden to the mouse house and this mouse just slowly padded out of the trap, into his new house, turned round and twiddled his whiskers at me.

Questions I'd appreciate some advise on are: is it likely it is the same mouse who has found his way back in - or one of his mates? Further, how can I make them unwelcome without death? (Sorry I dislike cats but like all other creatures).

Thank you

PS: Sorry about the spelling - my Sister gave me bottle of wine today.

Howard Hughes
25th Jan 2009, 00:42
how can I make them unwelcome?
Ditch the humane trap to start with and KILL them! You need to kill the entire colony, you can never be sure with baits and you end up with dead rotting mice in the walls.

I say again KILL them...:ooh:

25th Jan 2009, 00:45
Struth Howard, you serious about the colony thing? They don't just come in the singular/random visit thing?

Thanks for the hard truth though..

con-pilot
25th Jan 2009, 00:46
Get a cat. :E

(In fact, get two cats.)

RatherBeFlying
25th Jan 2009, 00:52
Very likely the same mouse.

If you're going to release a mouse and don't want it to quickly come back to your house, take it for a one way drive -- or at least a long walk away with other houses between mouse and your house:E

If cats in the neighborhood, offer catnip in return for rodent patrol.

Howard Hughes
25th Jan 2009, 00:53
I've never had just one mouse, other than as a pet...:eek:

Where there's one, there's more!

cockney steve
25th Jan 2009, 00:55
Mice are not solitary creatures....and they breed like rabbits :}
Unfortunately, they're usually dirty, flea-ridden disease-carrying VERMIN.
Even field-mice are"iffy"
Pet ,captive-bred ones are a different animal, so to speak.

destroy the verminous ones,otherwise you risk a nasty death yourself :eek:

tinpis
25th Jan 2009, 00:55
Get a cat.

(In fact, get two cats.)

http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/LOLCats/CatlikeTyping.gif

Howard Hughes
25th Jan 2009, 01:09
and they breed like rabbits
In fact they're worse!;)

Gestation time for a mouse is 19-21 days, compared to 29-31 for a rabbit! That is a new litter of mice every three weeks, now when did you first see this mouse? You do the sums...:eek:

Whirlygig
25th Jan 2009, 01:13
If you can get an BIC biro through a hole, then a mouse can get through it :8 Mice will breed like rabbits (:confused: - you know what I mean), eat electrical insulation and they carry disease.

Whether or not you like cats, they are the best at getting rid of mice. I can hire out Skeeter for a reasonable rate; he'll also deal with rats and rabbits and other vermin quite effectively and humanely - just a quick worry and a sharp shake to the back of the neck and said critter is a goner.

Cheers

Whirls

25th Jan 2009, 01:14
I did the sums:

Spotted 6 weeks ago = 42 days, with gestation of 20 days = 2 litters (@ 10 per litter) = 20 mice currently under the floorboards.

Oh Dear.

So what do I use? Poison? Any recommendations for which one?

Would much prefer using an eviction method rather than a poison or a bird killer.

Thanks

Cron.

LordGrumpy
25th Jan 2009, 01:19
Traps are best baited with sticky chocolate ( the one that is a planet)
Tinny from Dununder has rodent treatment predator, who is not so attractive as the one drapered over the keyboard.
He should be awake, to tell you all about it!

Howard Hughes
25th Jan 2009, 01:20
My suggestion is just good old fashion mouse traps, one snap and they are dead! Leave them down until you don't catch any mice for a month.

Peanut butter is a good bait, cheese can sometimes be taken with out the mouse trap activating! Good luck.

PS: I suspect 20 mice is probably an over estimation, but you will definitely have more than one!

unstable load
25th Jan 2009, 01:20
Get a cat. http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/evil.gif

(In fact, get two cats.)

And don't feed them, let them get take-aways!

Just because you only noticed them 6 weeks ago doesn't mean that's when they moved in........:=
If you can get into the underfloor area then get a small mesh preferrably in stainless and stick it over the airbricks to stop new arrivals, but they will simply squeeze in under a door if the gap is big eneough (and it does not need to be big at all).

Standard Noise
25th Jan 2009, 01:25
We had them two years running in the garage and passage (enclosed area down the side of the house which joins the house and garage, kind of like a long narrow utility area) and I just used bait. They didn't get as far as the house through the airbricks and they just shrivelled up into little mousey crisps.
Just had to find them before Lucyfer, she has a fascination with small creatures.

Whirlygig
25th Jan 2009, 01:31
Give cats a good supply of mice to catch and they won't be interested in birds. Birds are harder to catch and not as tasty as a good mouse.

Cheers

Whirls

kevmusic
25th Jan 2009, 01:35
You're up late, Whirls!

In fact, so am I! :}

Howard Hughes
25th Jan 2009, 01:38
While not a 'cat lover', I must say the long term answer to any mice problems is a cat! A cat is by far the most effective deterrent for mice, but if cats aren't your thing then traps are it!:ok:

BeechNut
25th Jan 2009, 01:41
I live in the country. Every year we have issues in the fall when the mice try to come in from the cold.

The only good (and safe) mouse is a dead one.

I recommend a three-pronged attack: 2 underfed cats and kill 'em in one snap mouse traps.

Before we had cats, I'd set out 2 or 3 traps in the kitchen every night. As soon as we'd got to bed, SNAP! By morning I'd have caught 2 or 3 mice.

Vermin. Spread disease and do damage. Animals don't have rights, except the right to be eaten by an animal higher up the food chain.

Sounds cruel but life's a b!tch.

Beech

25th Jan 2009, 01:48
Guess I'm beginning to see the sense (Beech and Howard et al).

I shall reverse my huggy fluffy stance on this and implement the trap regime.

As I understand it I am to bait traps with Mars bars or Peanut butter, layout more than one, keep it up for a month.

May I add a further request and ask for recommendations regarding trap type?

Thanks Chaps.

Cron.

G-CPTN
25th Jan 2009, 01:53
Traps (lethal or otherwise) baited with chocolate or bacon or peanut butter. Either euthanise (drown) or transport a long way away (at least half a mile).
Block any access holes with steel wool (from hardware stores or plumbing suppliers).

May I add a further request and ask for recommendations regarding trap type?Little Nipper, but get different types.

BigJoeRice
25th Jan 2009, 01:53
Heard a scratching in the wall the other day and thought I had uninvited guests. I got the Ipod, plugged it into my portableJBL speakers - cranked the lot to 11, placed the speaker where the scratching was coming from, selected Rammstein's Links 2-3-4 and Rammstein'd his ass. Haven't heard a peep out of that wall since.

StbdD
25th Jan 2009, 02:07
Ah, forgive me but not so fast.

WHY are they getting into the house? Do you perchance store birdseed or any sort of grain? Or God forbid scatter it on the ground to 'feed the birds"? Well guess what? At night the rats and mice feed on what is left and your house gets marked as the local McDonalds for them. So solve that problem by stopping your bird feeding, or using rodent proof feeders while storing the feed in air tight, heavy plastic or metal containers.

Then kill the rodents that don't get the word.

Poisons - I wouldn't recommend them. The rat has to die and rot somewhere, if it is feeling ill the best place to go is the darkest place it can find.... in your house.

Traps - 'Humane' are worthless. Kill them and properly dispose of the carcass.

Cats - Many, many advantages. Well worth consideration.

Rodents are only cute in Disney movies. Always remember that they also starred in the leading role of the Plague. Screw humane. Protect yourself and your family.

EchoMike
25th Jan 2009, 02:10
(ONE BIG PARAGRAPH BECAUSE OF OBSCURE BROWSER PROBLEM.) They chew on everything - I had a/some mouse/mice invade a box of books, they ate the bindings off, crapped on the rest, one of the books was an original owner's manual for a 1952 BMW . . . and I am going to kill every one of the ****ers, the more it hurts the happier I will be. They spread disease as well. Snap traps, bait with peanut butter. Smear it around the trigger so they have to "worry" it to get it all. Often the triggers are set wrong, use a pliers to adjust the staple so the trap is more sensitive. (Be careful, even a little mouse size snap trap will hurt you.) You might want to bait some UNSET traps to get the mice used to eating from them, they will think it is safe and not become trap-shy. After two or three times, set the trap. WEAR GLOVES when handling traps - mice can smell people on the traps and will avoid them. WEAR GLOVES when disposing of dead mice - parasites are attracted to warmth, the mouse is now cold, and YOU are warm, the parasites are looking for a new host now that you've killed their old one. Wash up well and throw away the gloves . . . Don't use poisons that advertise that the mouse will eat the poison and go outside of the house looking for water and die there. That is NOT TRUE, the mouse will die INSIDE your house and stink like hell for weeks or months until you find the carcass and get rid of it. If the carcass is inside a wall, you'll have to get used to the stench. Ugh. Another trick that works is shallow, small pans half filled with anti-freeze. Ethylene glycol is a deadly poison, and mice are attracted by the sweetish smell and taste. Make sure household pets cannot access these pans, it will kill them as well. This is really nasty, the traps are usually (but not always) quick, the anti-freeze takes a while and I'm told hurts like hell. One or two cats will also do the job - if you use any of the above mechanical or chemical warfare techniques, make sure the cats can't get to them. Rodents are a severe problem, I am told that fully one third of the grain crops raised each year in the world are lost to rodents. In the first world, we have pretty effective civil rodent control programs and they are still a significant problem. The only good mouse or rat is a dead mouse or rat. Best Regards, Echo Mike

25th Jan 2009, 02:17
Sobering stuff EchoMike - thanks for taking the time to reinforce the story at length.

Warfare on.

Cron.

G-CPTN
25th Jan 2009, 02:21
YouTube - world record - biggest mice plague (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jOrNue_2LlI)

BeechNut
25th Jan 2009, 02:28
That's the spirit Cron.

And you can always fulfill your huggy-fluffy animal thingy with the cats :)

Oh and while you're at it, look up "hantavirus". Not sure if it's an issue on your side of the pond but it is on ours. No doubt other nasties are an issue on your side as well.

Hantavirus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hantavirus)

Beech

tinpis
25th Jan 2009, 02:40
Wherever you is sat here in Darwhine, there be a ratty or mouse not more than 3 metres from you.
About 5 metres away there be a snake (http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2009/01/25/29361_ntnews.html). :uhoh:

Desert Diner
25th Jan 2009, 07:51
Cats are good, they even handle the disposal issue.

Unless you have have one that likes to bring home its work:uhoh:

Loose rivets
25th Jan 2009, 08:49
To quote myself from an earlier thread.

Then my mom arrives with a bucket and a ruler..oh, and a piece of cheese.

I laughed my socks off as she balanced the ruler on the edge of the bucket and placed the cheese on the end. We shut the door to the laundry and stood giggling at my mother...until the boinging started.

Boing boing boing.

Sure enough, one cute little mouse in the bucket, jumping up and down for all he was worth. I made several trips down the garden that night.

My son put a rat trap in the garage here in Texas. It was very, very powerful. Night after night the cheese would disappear, yet a touch with a straw would fire the trap. Tried different baits, but they all just went.

1DC
25th Jan 2009, 10:17
Spotted a mouse in the garage and bought a couple of little nippers(permanant baited variety) and caught 11 over a fortnight.Left traps down for another month.
Came home from 3 months in Oz and opened the shed door saw a rat move in the back and found the buggah's had chewed their way in.They were eating snails in there and the stench was awful "thousands" of snail shells all over the floor. A good disinfecting and a new floor on the shed sorted it.The only free service from my council is the rat man, he came and chucked some poison down and said the rats would go somewhere else now and i would be ok. He was right..

gingernut
25th Jan 2009, 10:22
Is this helpful.?

http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/269523-theres-mouse-loose-hoose.html

Although it goes against my delicate sensibilities, you've gotta kill the buggers I'm afraid.

The little electronic ultrasonic things seem to keep them away also.

ExSp33db1rd
25th Jan 2009, 10:38
Mice ? You're lucky - we've got rats. Wait 'til you've tried them, gazing down from the rafters of an unfinished kitchen extension, whilst you're eating your cornflakes - and stroking the cat.

Can't use poison, cat catches poisoned rat and eats it.

Now got a sort of rat Taser, just about to try it, comes with a little rat shaped gadget on a cord, so that when the Taser has shot its' load, blue lights illuminate the rat eyes in the gadget, so one knows to climb into the cavity hiding the Taser and empty it of Taser'd rat. I hope.

Cat occasionally brings new found live toy into the house, then gets bored.

Storminnorm
25th Jan 2009, 10:54
We had a mouse in the place last year.
The stupid cat had brought the thing in!
The mouse treated the place like a second
home!
I got the thing cornered behind the telly in
the end, and whacked it with a brush.
Bye Bye wee mousie!
The cat kept looking for it for several days.
Stupid beast! :sad:

BAMRA wake up
25th Jan 2009, 10:58
we've got rats. Wait 'til you've tried them, gazing down from the rafters of an unfinished kitchen extension

Get yourself an air pistol!

I've heard a non poison method of killing is to set a bait of dry porridge oats mixed with a little cement.

Had a plague of them hereabouts after a grain lorry tipped off the road and spilt it's load into the undergrowth - neighbour's terrier has been doing good work on them though.

ShyTorque
25th Jan 2009, 11:04
If you rely on a cat to catch the mice for you, make sure the cat gets wormed regularly.

I caught four mice in traps in the shed last week. They were stealing the chicken corn again. I leave traps permanently in there.

I do have a snake living about five metres from me (a pine snake, now big enough at five and a half feet long, to eat rats). Unfortunately it's too cold in the shed for him.

Here he is when he was a bit smaller:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/shytorque/SnakeRex.jpg

Desert Diner
25th Jan 2009, 11:53
neighbour's terrier has been doing good work on them though.

Terriers are probably more reliable then cats in this respect as they are territorial while cats are, well, cats.

Storminnorm
25th Jan 2009, 11:57
Must buy a JR!

corsair
25th Jan 2009, 12:08
Visiting my Mother recently with the sprogs, we realised she had a couple of mice. By the time we left they had been executed. I have absolutely no qualms about killing them with prejudice. :E My kids play on the same floor the little vermin scutter to and fro. They leave their potentially diseased mark everywhere and I for one will not let anything endanger my kids, not to mention all the other grandkids who visit Mom. Usually trap and all go into the bin. They're cheap enough.

Now we have an electronic gadget plugged in to scare them off. Don't know it if works but no mice seen since.

flywatcher
25th Jan 2009, 12:12
It has been said if you build a better mousetrap the world will beat a path to your door. I don't want this to happen so here is how to improve on a standard mouse trap.
1. Gently file the top of the end of the wire that holds the plate in position so that it will no longer hold it engaged.
2. While holding the spring arm back with your finger, put the latching mechanism in place and put a little square of cheedar underneath the plate so it holds it up against the wire that you have just filed.
3. it will not release because the cheese holds it in position.
4. Rodent trys to take cheddar away and it is bye-bye, all over, red rover.

This information is worth what it cost you.

driftdown
25th Jan 2009, 12:16
You have my sympathy Cron, little blighters get everywhere.

We have just or hope we have "taken care" of the last of 5 in a single storey building. I cannot figure out whether the little blighters were bought in as 'gifts' by our two cats, yes you read that right, two cats and we still managed to get a problem.

I have used rat glue, certainly brings the little bugge*s to a rapid stop, but far more effective were some plastic traps my wife bought in UK and sent to me. Chocolate or peanut butter is the best bait and watch your fingers the traps can be a little sensitive.

Good luck :ok:

hellsbrink
25th Jan 2009, 13:23
Terriers are probably more reliable then cats in this respect as they are territorial while cats are, well, cats.

Was just away to suggest forgetting about a cat and getting a Jack Russel instead. One of them will soon sort the buggahs out

Rollingthunder
25th Jan 2009, 13:29
Bring...bring.... Hello Council....My....err....Jack Russell is...errr...stuck in the wall.

hellsbrink
25th Jan 2009, 13:40
You don't know how close you are to the truth there RollingThunder. Many moons ago a neighbour's ferret got loose and hid under our garden shed. Jack Rat got let out to do what doggies usually do after eating, and once finished got a sniff of said ferret. Dog hurtles under shed, growl, snarl then yelp from ferret folowed by whimpering from now stuck dog. We had to use two trolley jacks to lift the shed up enough so dog could get out.

The problem was he could have gotten out alone, but he wanted to bring his prey with him so he could show us what a good boy he was.....

RatherBeFlying
25th Jan 2009, 15:22
I do have a snake living about five metres from me (a pine snake, now big enough at five and a half feet long, to eat rats). Unfortunately it's too cold in the shed for him.ShyTorque, if you have electricity in your shed, go buy a large reptile hot rock from your local pet shop. Pull an old work sock over the rock, put it into a secluded corner and Mr. or Ms. Pine will find your shed quite cozy. Also the heat aids digestion and boosts the appetite:E

They'll be hibernating now, but when Ms. Pine comes out in the spring and gets pregnant, she needs lots of munchies in early pregnancy and after laying her eggs to bulk back up.

Ten West
25th Jan 2009, 15:33
I used to get them in my garage and they are destructive little devils, as a cupboard drawer full of unravelled and chewed VHS tapes will attest.

Traps worked well, (just the regular ones of the type that you used to see on Tom and Jerry) and cats are great too. I've also bought a little ultrasonic mouse-scarer which plugs into a mains socket much in the manner of a kids' night light. It apparently makes a very high frequency noise which they find bothersome so they stay away.

Not seen any since, so maybe it does work.

Ever seen this? Glad I don't have a farm! :eek::eek:

YouTube - Guinness Worlds records Worst Mouse Plague (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=r3RLmErp43k)

airship
25th Jan 2009, 15:42
Cron might consider hosting regular Malawian cuisine (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/4188382.stm) nights, which might solve the disposal problem though not the problem of capturing the mice in the first place. :ok:

About mice and men: [puts on time-travel cap] a history that dates back to my hunter-gatherer days I believe. In the dream-time, when we were all still mere harvesters. When my clan began actual production of that which we gathered, the game changed. Some competitors became pests, others became allies - must be about that time I befriended my first small cat (before then, I preferred sabre-tooth lions as hunting companions).

Roll-on to the 21st century: mice and countless other living beings increasingly serve no useful purposes to us. They're simply considered leeches or else a form of pestilence with reputations of harbouring and spreading deadly diseases or viruses (teenage mums on social security anyone - and those human-beings...?). Over a relatively short period of a few hundred years, we've handled all those pests in the manner that only human-beings can do: annihilation and extermination of the adversary (whether wolf or tiny beetle); by all and any means - poisons, pesticides, genetic modification...; only belatedly are some beginning to understand the manner in which we have also poisoned our own lives, health and futures.

Coming back to mice: if mice have such a short gestation period, that is explained by the heavy predation mice (once used) to accommodate. Where is your 'friendly' barn-owl (you don't have a barn and your roof space is closed and insulated? Snakes then - might as well shout out paedophile when one is seen in your average garden? Well, what about cats then - "we catch a bird, bring it inside and play with it. You then scold us, admonishing us for being naughty. We don't do it anymore. Yet you still expect us to catch mice, which might have been poisoned, consumed anti-freeze or what not - we're not dumb you know...?!"

Our farmers regularly apply pesticides wearing the equivalent of NBC suits. Notwithstanding all the dangers that might pose to consumers later, householders want to also employ or at least recommend dangerous poisons and other chemicals in and around their own houses...?! What scares you more? A few mice unnecessarily sharing your living space, or a barrel of pesticide spread out over the lawn on which your children play?

I wistfully say 'unnecessarily' because in my mouse-driven alcohol-induced huggy-fluffy stupor, I truly believe that mice are little different to us human-beings at some scale. Instead of always accusing them of invading our spaces, what have we done to ensure that we've secured as far as practible all available free-access? Lots of people put up bird -boxes in their gardens, so why not bury a few mouse-boxes, as well as building more barns, or at least attics that resemble barns (oh come on, the few calories of uninsulated roof-space for owls won't double your energy bills - also, the droppings will be great for the roses...)?! If you're lucky enough to have a garden large enough, why not reserve a space where instead of simply growing stuff that just looks pretty, you plant stuff that also produces grains, berries etc. that feed the small wild critters? And instead of a ride-on lawnmower, you get a couple of goats. Because with a lot of goats in a given area, even semi-domesticated leopards would find a renewed reason for their existences...?!

RatherBeFlying
25th Jan 2009, 15:50
Tried the live traps with various baits -- no joy.

So laid down some glue traps in high traffic areas. First two mice were freed with weggie oil, but it's hard on the mouse and destroys the trap; so, put on glove and gently pull mice off, then stuff into humane trap for transport.

There's a bit of scrub land a block away where they get relocated to.

One morning, toaster would not work -- emptied crumb tray over sink but couldnt see anything wrong inside, then noticed dead mouse on counter where toaster located, then noticed wire chewed through.

Mouse's last mistake was having feet or tail on grounded stainless cooktop:E

ShyTorque
25th Jan 2009, 16:07
Ratherbeflying, unfortunately Pine snakes aren't exactly native around here.
Ours lives in a heated glass tank in a bedroom and I think the nearest likely wild mate for it is on the other side of the Atlantic :)

This animal is more likely to be successful in the winter. If he's not too busy attacking dogs four times his size :ugh: :

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/shytorque/dogs001.jpg

axefurabz
25th Jan 2009, 16:27
We knew we had mice in the garden but they didn't come inside. However, after the house was empty for a number of weeks, we returned to find the little baskets in residence. After killing them, we tried an electronic thingy. As others have posted, it seems to work in as far as we haven't seen any since (over a year now). The only downside is it appears to affect spiders too (don't mind spiders) :sad:

RatherBeFlying
25th Jan 2009, 17:16
unfortunately Pine snakes aren't exactly native around hereWell, they're lovely snakes and quite talkative if you unexpectedly walk by the tank at night:uhoh:

Don't do what I did: I caught a house mouse and chucked him in with Mr. and Ms. Pine. A few weeks later, one began regurgitating and had to go to the vet who got samples from both ends and sent them off to the lab.

The $300 mouse carried Trichomonas. Big Daddy recognised the vet when he went back to take his medicine and did not have nice things to say when he saw her again:}

Ten West
25th Jan 2009, 17:42
:eek: Ooo! ShyTorque's dog looks scary!

Does he zap them with his laser beam eyes? :cool:

Could be worse - could be rats. Then you'd need one of these:

http://www.mltnet.net/enigmalabs/spas12.jpeg

ShyTorque
25th Jan 2009, 17:56
Ooo! ShyTorque's dog looks scary!
Does he zap them with his [email protected] beam eyes?

Then he says "I'll be bark...." ;)

mr fish
25th Jan 2009, 18:48
many years back my daughter had a GERBIL which managed a escape act from its cage in the hallway.
no sign whatsoever for about a week ,then one day my rather expensive speakers stopped working.
the little f:mad:er had made a new home behind my stereo and chewed through both speaker cables (and a headphone lead), why it did not tackle the mains leads i will never know.
THAT would have taught the charming creature a lesson:eek:

GrumpyOldFart
25th Jan 2009, 20:28
I heard years ago that one could discourage the presence of mice by putting ground glass in their holes. Sounds easy, but you wouldn't believe how much they squirm and wriggle while you're trying to actually put it into them...

j-mac
25th Jan 2009, 22:13
JC not bad aye the little nippers the one to use had mine for a few years and well worth the money :ok: think our record was 6 in one night and the last one was a fat fellow he must ave been stealing the cheese after his little mates had sprung the trap :E
j-mac

Synthetic
25th Jan 2009, 22:25
Mice advise

Mice advise what?:rolleyes:

More food for small rodents?

The PM
26th Jan 2009, 00:08
Up until 2 and a bit years ago when the rottie passed away, we had a rottweiller and a terrier cross.

Surprisingly, the rottie was the better mouser.We have seasonal mice problems due to living in a semi rural area and in mouse season, the rottie would set herself up in a corner, and you would often hear "whomp whomp....crunch" . The whomp sound was the rottie whacking the mice with her paws to stun them, followed by a single crunch in the jaws.All we had to do was get rid of the mouse.:ok:

26th Jan 2009, 00:26
Thank you Synth - I've done the edit.

Cron.

x213a
26th Jan 2009, 01:24
Cron, I had similar in my last place, I used peanut butter on bread as a bait in the humane trap, put caught mouse in an old vivarium and kept him for a few days. Timid as hell, tiny as hell and darted under the bedding whenever I entered the room. Eventually released about a mile away on the other side of town. A few weeks later I heard the tell-tale signs, nibbling etc and mousecrap in the kitchen cupboards / worktop. Set trap again - repeat etc.

Moved house last month and in the moving process lifted the cushions off the settee to see a perfect set of mouse eyes ears and whiskers staring at me except...it was totally flat and was mummified in the position it died.

God knows how you get rid of them totally, I think that ensuring nothing they could eat is left lying around so they find more desirable residence. I did find It would go 6-8 months without any signs of mouse activity but then it would start again. It never bothered me but my wife hated them. I was more vworried about them chewing through the leads to my fishtank (they never did).

Loose rivets
26th Jan 2009, 05:13
Terrible smell in the kitchen one night. Hamburgers mixed with fur. Took cooker to pieces and found mouse fused between two 0BA bolts in the control panel.

Many years ago I was cleaning out a relly's house. A newspaper announced that the London Rat Catcher had caught over a MILLION RATS. He worked on commission. He would not divulge how he had caught them.

Other items in the paper lampooned politicians, so nothing new there. However, one article reported how 7 officers and 'their men', had been lost in a dirigible over the north sea at night. Yep, about 95 years ago. Well, there was Etheline on the Mary Celeste, so it's feasible that he could have flash burned miles of sewer pipe.

Storminnorm
26th Jan 2009, 11:32
You don't suppose that the rat catcher could have been
"recycling" some of his stock in trade do you?
A million rats seem an awful lot! :eek:

unstable load
26th Jan 2009, 11:59
I don't know so much. A walk through any city streets after dark will show no shortage of rats. The trick would be catching the wee buggers.

Gainesy
26th Jan 2009, 16:36
Set yer traps against walls, the lil buggas almost always run close to the walls. I've found choc or a sultana works better than cheese as bait.

G-CPTN
26th Jan 2009, 17:34
Yes, sultanas :ok:

9th Feb 2009, 22:25
Well chaps, thank you for the eradication tactics.

I built the humane bucket and pivot solution - didn't fox them (even with 2" of water in the bottom of the bucket). Just ended up with a lot of soggy toilet roll centres and no mice. I cannot work out how they got around it.

Persevered with the humane trap and scored 2 but they soon found a way of taking the bait and not triggering it.

So, as most suggested, to B & Q and purchased 4 vicious killer traps. Score: 2the first night, 2 the second, 1 the third. Bit heart breaking though – little black eyes looking up at you all lifeless.

They are (were) field mice with fawn and cream fur.

They are superb bits of engineering (the mice) and must be intelligent in some way. Shame on me for not being as bright as them. Two weeks passed now and no more evidence.

They do like sultanas and peanut butter.

I still think it wasn’t a fair fight, I took a machine gun to a game of wits. In that respect they were the winners. Maybe Douglas Adams was right.

Ashamed Cron.

frostbite
9th Feb 2009, 22:49
When I had an aviary the field mice used to cause a lot of damage in their attempts to get at the seed.

Best humane trap I found was a small steel cage with a funnel set in the wooden top, where they could squeeze in but not get back out.

You could then take them for a ride or drop the cage in a bucket of water, according to your inclination.

hellsbrink
9th Feb 2009, 23:01
But, but, but the old fashione killer traps are humane. Kills the little buggers quick enough and their last memory is some lovely food. What could be more humane than a snap trap when you think of being trapped in a "humane" trap and panicking because of not being able to get out.

Reminds me of one thing I had the joys of witnessing a few years back though. We had had a squeaker problem and after using some snap traps as well as a rather cruel method involving an air rifle and "darts", the problem was resolved. One guy decided he wanted one of the traps for his room "just in case one came through the window" so I jokingly asked him if he knew how to use them. "Sure", he said and then proceeded to set the trap. I pointed out he hadn't put any bait on it, he went "oh yeah" and proceeded to bait the trap WITHOUT tripping it first. You can guess what happened next. Dopey git didn't even flinch when the bar made contact with his fingers, which kinda shocked me...