PDA

View Full Version : canada to indonesia.

spinjob
24th Jan 2009, 21:07
So after spending my life savings getting my Cpl/Multi/IFR, i'm gonna need to spend a bit more.

-Looked into the instructor route= $6000-9000 with no guarantee of a job.
-Buying a type rating= $10-30,000, No way! ( i like not being judged as scum)
-Moving to Northern Canada for a rampie position= priceless! (6 months-2 yrs of minimum wages)
-International "road trip"= <$3000, great chance to meet people in the industry abroad.

I've looked into a lot of different options to get the "first job", however it looks like I've got to go the distance and find it the old fashioned way, on foot. By then end of this February, I'm heading to Indonesian, and PNG to look for my first flying job.

I've checked out a few companies in Papua New Guinea, and Indonesia as well as their licensing requirements. I'm going to start my trip in Jakarta, and head out from there. I'm going to try and "sell" my AME license to get me on with a company, hopefully this will get me an "in" with the flight dept. I figure a month traveling around and banging on doors should at least get me a job http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif , or convince me to take my sorry butt home and get back on the tools. http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif

So...Here's where you guys come in! Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as companies, contact info, warnings/recommendations etc...

Once again, Thanks for you thoughts.

Spinjob

ohnoriceagain
25th Jan 2009, 10:44
Im sorry if i will burst your bubbles, i kinda hate that, but this is not the best time to look for a job in SE Asia unless you have experience (a lot of experience).
I suggest you to go for an instructor ticket and convert your license in FAA one, and look for a job in USA.
just my 2 cents

abhi88
25th Jan 2009, 15:01
Hey why dont u go to africa? I think you stand a good chance there! The only thing good about SE asia are the chingy girls and beer:p.

sec 3
25th Jan 2009, 15:52
Isn't that reason enough ? :E of course it is !!

chimbu warrior
26th Jan 2009, 01:41
Spin, check PM's.

barrybeebone
27th Jan 2009, 13:40
I think you will find that many Indonesian airlines will not hire you as you will be too expensive. if you want to drop your asking price then maybe they will take a look.

Your western experience will be highly regarded, so maybe "ohnoriceagain" is correct, convert it to an instructors.. but then again don't expect the big money

MDT06
27th Jan 2009, 21:44
I was under the impression that you must be Indonesian to fly with an airline there? Is this correct? Is anyone flying there as a foreign? I'm sure is allowed in PNG.....

Capt Krunch
28th Jan 2009, 02:08
Spin:

well first off I don't find your personal opinion on things very clever, but that asside.

you'll stand no chance of a flying job in Indonesia,(unless your indonesian) so in the end it will be a nice adventure but a waste of money.

as one already said.. Africa may be the best option.. there are allot of ex-pat flying out there and it's a huge country with allot of need for small aircraft flights.. similar to flying the canadian bush I assume..except that it's always hot:cool:.

Krunch

Massey058
28th Jan 2009, 08:47
There are plenty of 'bule' flying in Indonesia from Caravans through to A320's

Hamtarro
28th Jan 2009, 23:10
I think someone may have said your experience will be recognized in Asia? Probably the best advice you got was save the money. Get some real experience and build Some credibility. Well done on not selling out and buying a type rateing. More importantly don`t hand your Atm card over the desk at your interview. Some type ratings are necesary. Some of the Captains going over to Korean had to get 777 types for the job. This was necessary. Going into Northern Canada is definately an option especially in these times. For the most part it remains de-recession free. Asia is not desperate for low time pilots, and if you can stay in Canada build your time and rep, you won`t have to come back to Canada kikin turds and trying to start again. Unless you stay in Asia or Africa. Having worked in all these places one thing I can say is the more experience you have the better conditions may be. Canada is not for me anymore but it was great for the first ten years an excellent training ground. Currently on the 744 and things are shakey here but Iam with the right type ratings there is work. Canada can also give you some PIC time to hit the road with. Or you might stay, West Jet in the future who knows.
In short, take a vacation if you need one. Look at work seperately. Tough to call your situation as your totals and age are not out but it`s sounds as if your starting out. Good luck.
H

Storpikk
30th Jan 2009, 03:37
Yep Africa is a huge country........:D:D:D

Maybe some self study for you!!!!

HVYMETLDRIVERWANNABE
30th Jan 2009, 06:37
I agree sounds like a fun trip but times are tough, I would love to go over there and hit the road if I had the $$$$. But I've gotten zero response after about a year of emailing, showing up is different but the bottom line is that most companies and airlines over there will hire their own locals over you unless you have a type and 500+ hours to go with it.

But its said a determined person can overcome anything.

Few random tips, Dana Air Nigeria comes to the job fairs in Miami a lot hiring for the MD-80, pay is good but you must relocate to Lagos. Cathay Pacific hires expats and Chinese equally and have bases in the US including SFO, LAX and JFK? maybe... though there not hiring at this exact moment you never know... I've heard from the grapevine that JAL and ANA hire ex-pats a lot with out much reserve and at one time recently they were willing to hire with just the type...

I wish I could give you more leads, but frankly aviation is in a coma right now.:confused:

Viel Gluck!

struanheli
30th Jan 2009, 10:39
Aye fella , drop Susi Air a CV, to Gerald in HR you can get on as a FO to build your 1000hrs then Cptn. If yer single, don't mind traveling around and girls you in with a grin:)