PDA

View Full Version : The last 48 hours

NorthernSky
13th Sep 2001, 04:02
The last 48 hours have prompted all extremes of emotion around the world. The modern media have brought these scenes to us in technicolour, and we have been able to draw our own conclusions.

There are a few thoughts running around my head:

First, to those professional pilots, and others, who lost colleagues, loved ones, and friends, I must extend my profoundest sympathy. The manner in which this loss of life occurred is unbelieveable - as is the notion that in anyone's eyes these actions could be right. I'm not a religious person, though I have my own belief system which seems to get me through. I trust that those of you who have been affected manage, eventually, to come to some sort of understanding of these events, and find some kind of peace.

Second, and importantly, may I appeal to all fellow PPRuNers not to discuss any security issues here. This is by no means a secure discussion forum - we have all seen Danny's warnings. If you have strong feelings about security issues, please take them to the relevant authorities either directly or through your pilot union. Open debate of these issues here can only be of potential benefit to those intent on evil. I believe we may now (and belatedly) rest assured that these topics will be effectively discussed in light of these events.

Third, our lives have changed. I don't know how to express the depth of my feeling on this issue. Air travel is no longer what it was. As aircrew we shall see many long-term consequences, some of which will be hard to take.

The worst solutions come from knee-jerk reaction, and I think that, in Europe at least, we are already seeing too many jerking knees. Let's be sensible, be careful, and be aware of any risks we may encounter.

I love flying. I never want to stop loving flying. But, sometimes it's a hard love, and now is one of those times.