PDA

View Full Version : Chieftain Airways 1987

Coffin Dodger
24th Jan 2009, 13:06
I found this pic while I was sorting through some old 10x8 prints.

Chieftain Airways, launch of service EDI to FRA in 1987. I was on both the outward and the return flights. I still have the engraved presentation Quaich with it's original box given out to all the passengers too.

The fella on the right holding the Press bag was the then Chairman of the Scottish Tourist Board, Alan Devereux and the chap on the left is Mr Chieftain Airways himself - only I can't for the life of me recall his name. Somebody here will remember for sure.

Thought I'd post it anyway in case it brought back a memory or two for some.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss15/CofDodger/Chieftain_Frankfurt.jpg

VictorGolf
24th Jan 2009, 15:28
How long did they last? I can't imagine the "Budgie" was ideal for that sort of a job.

Coffin Dodger
24th Jan 2009, 17:27
I recall that they didn't survive very long and a bit of Googling indicates it was less than a year.

Google also threw up these ads in the archives of flightglobal.com, so I'm assuming the Chieftain Airways fella in the pic above was their chairman W.T. Stevenson.

Actually... the name Bill Stevenson does ring a bell.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss15/CofDodger/chieftain-vacancies.jpg

Midland 331
24th Jan 2009, 20:40
c/s "Clanspeed"?

A Barbie Jet would have probably worked, but two hours in a budgie was a bit much.

Krakatoa
25th Jan 2009, 05:49
The photograph of G GLAS was taken on the 30th. March 1987 on the first service to Frankfurt. My log book tells me the flight time from EDI to FRA was 3 hours.
At the same time the other Budgie, G EDIN was on the first service to Brussel.
I also operated the last flight on the 13th. May 1987 when Chieftain ceased operations. Yes, thats right it lasted about six weeks !
The backers in Bermuda pulled out. They expected it to show a profit in six weeks !

N707ZS
25th Jan 2009, 10:08
Didn't Dan Air fly to Berlin with their 748s, quite a long trip.

FAStoat
25th Jan 2009, 10:51
As far as I can remember,it was started by Capt George Gilson(?Ex B Mid),as a VIP 1st Class Intereuropean service.I was trying to work for Air BVI at the time on Budgies,so was interested and saw him about it in Edinburgh,where he was running KingAirs,on which I was rated.The money was pulled and it never really got off the ground.

much2much
26th Jan 2009, 16:19
Some memories of hearing clan speed,.and i recall some of the crews how many of you were they and where are the rest? always felt it would have been a good connection to fra but if you jet in from the U.S a buddgie's a bit slow, AS BD 331 said; and probably looked alien to most U.S passengers ,Who was going to set up a similar opp with dc9's in about 1989?

Krakatoa
26th Jan 2009, 22:47
Chieftain was never set up to be a connection for inbound traffic. The business plan was to provide a business class service from cetral Scotland direct into Europe avoiding Heathrow.
Could some one please explain " clan speed "

Vick Van Guard
27th Jan 2009, 13:20
A Barbie Jet would have probably worked, but two hours in a budgie was a bit much.

But it was 1987, when the 748 was still in production. The Barbie Jet was not even a twinkle in the designers eye then.

Midland 331
27th Jan 2009, 16:25
Indeed.

NCL-CPH was another route where a turbo-prop was just that bit too slow and uncomfortable.

Air UK tried it for around a year, circa 1986, with loads often in single figures, then gave up.

I was working for SAS on the commercial side in The North East in the late 'eighties, and remember saying to customers who were lobbying for a Copenhagen service " What we need is a small, economical jet aircraft that would make money on long thin routes, but it hasn't been designed and built yet".

Gulfbudgie
24th Mar 2009, 16:17
Hi there,

Have just found this fab forum, and cannot believe I have found Chieftain. Many happy memories. I have photos and press clippings of the crew and the (I think) HS 748. I also remember some fairly cramped trips on the King Air (7 seats and the loo doubled as the crew seat).

I joined Chieftain fresh from Gulf Air 84 -86. I remember George Stevenson as a lovely man who set up Chieftain, along with George and Irene Gilson. There was also Naomi Harriman (ex GF) and Karen Kinloch as senior cabin crew.

I too have my inauguration quaich somewhere in the attic. It was so sad that it all folded too soon.

Would love to touch base with anyone with similar happy memories.

Krakatoa
25th Mar 2009, 09:50
I recognised some of the names. I think Naomi was the senior lady of the cabin crew ? It was "Bill" Stevenson who was numero uno and George Gilson was the CEO. George spent some years with Air Bridge Carriers before moving on to Omani Air. That is now a few years back.
I was with Chieftain from day one and was still on the payrole after they went bust until Oct 87 while the Receiver tried to sell the airline as a going business.
I was still at Glasgow with Loganair and met up with some of the cabin crew who were now working with other airlines at Glasgow.

aland790
19th May 2011, 15:20
Ah ! Memories. I was part of the team that built the galleys for G GLAS & G EDIN at Mc Alpines Aviation. The Livery looked cool but Im afraid nothing else did!!. I dont think the company survived the year.