PDA

View Full Version : BBC Refuses to Transmit Humanitarian Appeal

anotherthing
24th Jan 2009, 09:43
BBC NEWS | UK | BBC urged to transmit Gaza appeal (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7848673.stm)

The BBC are refusing to broadcast an appeal from the Disasters Emergency Comittee to help the citizens of Gaza.

The BBC states -

The BBC said it would not compromise its commitment to impartiality.

What with Israel refusing to allow foreign journalists into Gaza during the fighting and now this, am I alone in thinking this stinks?

The BBC is funded by the licence payer, most of us can differentiate between humanitarian aid and support for terrorists.

Rainboe
24th Jan 2009, 09:52
The BBC is a News organisation forcibly funded by taxes on TV owners and out of the Exchequer. It is not a charity raising agency. I pay for the BBC, I don't see why every charity should have a 'right' to broadcast its appeals. People can watch the news and go to charity websites if that is what they wish, or research further for themselves. But a taxpayer-funded News and entertainment organisation acting as a channel for charity appeals- not 'on demand' please!

No_Speed_Restriction
24th Jan 2009, 09:55
the figures for those displaced during the conflict have been doctored anyway no thanks to the pro-hamas world press.

In reality, most of the fatalities were hamas operatives as per mission objective. the prime objective should now be for the release of Gilad Shalit.

tony draper
24th Jan 2009, 09:55
Possibly their reluctance stems from unless they are deaf dumb and blind they know a awful lot of people including me already think the BBC is indeed heavily biased.

TwoOneFour
24th Jan 2009, 10:03
People are inherently biased, and therefore have a real problem recognising impartiality. As soon as a neutral observer flags up an opposing view, up pop accusations of bias.

lexxity
24th Jan 2009, 10:08
Eeek I actually agree with Rainboe. Most people are capable of watching the news and seeing agencies such as the red cross or whoever and then deciding if they wish to make a donation or not.

HKPAX
24th Jan 2009, 10:20
I suspect that the BBC are sensitive to the criticism they have received about "pro-Hamas bias" in their reporting. IMHO this is probably well-deserved criticism: the other day 15 minutes on BBC World about the devastation in Gaza (factual) but the briefest mention of the rockets lobbed over the fence and the allegagation that Hamas deliberately position weapons in civilian areas (on this I have not th least sense of certainty what the facts are, but am left with the feeling that reporters on the spot DO know and simply won't say). I would not argue that there are wrongs suffered by both sides, and rank injustices by the Palestinians, but if one is attcaked one has a right to defend. If an aggressive drunk swings a knife around at me I am entitled to take a baseball bat to his head, and hard. Is that disproportionate?

Brewster Buffalo
24th Jan 2009, 10:24
Unlike the BBC the Israelis seem to have no problem with aid being given..

"Israel continues to ensure that the civilian population in the Gaza Strip receives food, medicines and other humanitarian necessities, even as Hamas and other terrorist groups launch dozens of missiles daily at Israeli communities. "

From the Israel Ministry for Foreign Affairs....

BOFH
24th Jan 2009, 10:27
Rainboe

Have you considered opting out, like Charles Moore (http://www.order-order.com/2008/12/charles-moore-is-britains-gandhi-200000.html)? He's OE, so it's all good sport. I do not have a television (and see no reason for having one), but if if I did, I'd object to my money being used to shill for pet causes. It seems that more than a little was spent to watch someone walking on water earlier this week in a foreign country.

Right now, I don't care a jot for other countries. We have an abundance of problems to address here first.

BOFH

Beatriz Fontana
24th Jan 2009, 10:33
Rainboe,

It is not a charity raising agency.

What's Children In Need all about, then? Unfortunately, the precedent has been set. The tsunami appeal, also run by the Disaster Emergency Committee, was broadcast on the BBC. Radio Four always has a Christmas appeal. I recall that the BBC may also have broadcast Live Aid back in the 1980s?

Nah, I'm sorry, this stinks. If the BBC is truly impartial, its content should be balanced and we, the paying audience, should be allowed to make up our own minds. The UK broadcasters have assisting in fund raising in the past, and I'm sad to say that I think politics have got in the way of this one.

ORAC
24th Jan 2009, 11:00
and the allegagation that Hamas deliberately position weapons in civilian areas (on this I have not th least sense of certainty what the facts are You are far to kind to Hamas. It was not just the Israeli's who suffered at their hands, and the Isrealis were not the only killers in Gaza in the last few weeks....

Hamas Guns for Fatah. (http://www.hurryupharry.org/2009/01/21/hamas-seeks-collaborators/)

And, no, you didn't see it covered on the BBC or their local reporters on the ground in Gaza.

TwoOneFour
24th Jan 2009, 11:20
I couldn't help noticing that in the BBC's on-line comments section, following a recent report on the conflict, there were just as many complaints of pro-Israeli bias in the report as there were of pro-Hamas.

As I said, true impartiality is hard to recognise and probably even harder to acknowledge.

The biggest difficulty in maintaining a neutral position is accurately reporting an issue which is clearly one-sided, and avoiding lending 'equal' weight to something which - by its nature - is not equal. That in itself is unfair bias.

cockney steve
24th Jan 2009, 11:30
What's Children In Need all about, then? Unfortunately, the precedent has been set. The tsunami appeal, also run by the Disaster Emergency Committee, was broadcast on the BBC. Radio Four always has a Christmas appeal. I recall that the BBC may also have broadcast Live Aid back in the 1980s?

Natural causes and social causes.......NOT a load of war-mongering,power-hungry, morally-bankrupt politicians ,mobilising the thick, ignorant masses by invoking their "God's" will.

Stuff the lot of them. the western world should turn it's back on ALL these corrupt , third-world countries.

Let the buggers kill each others , Darwinian rules will ensure the fittest survive.

Meanwhile, If they want to behave like feudal savages, let Allah and God slug it out alone.

The Jews are a perfect example of "Christian" hypocracy, just as are their "enemies"....but they are all "god's Children", honest! :mad: leave them all to stew in their own juice.......they'll be too busy trying to grow enough food to fight each other.......or there won't be enough left to form 2 armies.

NO AID, NO TRADE, NO OUTSIDE CO-OPERATION OF ANY SORT.

ISOLATE THIS FESTERING SORE AND ALLOW THE PUS TO ROT AWAY.

Next time i'll say what i REALLY think :\

Rainboe
24th Jan 2009, 12:20
Leaving aside current conflicts and the emotions they raise, as I fund the BBC, i would like them to leave out charity appeals altogether and stick to what I turn to them for....News and entertainment. I am not paying for them to be a conduit for charity appeals, especially by the DEC 'on demand', an organisation that was not especially helpful in the Tsunami, hanging on to a lot of the cash raised long after they should have.
Right now we have big problems developing at home. The rest of the world can go hang- charity begins at home now. I won't contribute a farthing to foreign appeals.

Rainboe
24th Jan 2009, 12:26
Leaving aside current conflicts and the emotions they raise, as I fund the BBC, i would like them to leave out charity appeals altogether and stick to what I turn to them for....News and entertainment. I am not paying for them to be a conduit for charity appeals, especially by the DEC 'on demand', an organisation that was not especially helpful in the Tsunami, hanging on to a lot of the cash raised long after they should have.
Right now we have big problems developing at home. The rest of the world can go hang- charity begins at home now. I won't contribute a farthing to foreign appeals.