PDA

View Full Version : Any Jobs In Broome

YELOSUB
24th Jan 2009, 04:15
hi guys i hve 1000+tt, Looking for SE piston job in broome. Any info would be much appreciaed.

The Green Goblin
24th Jan 2009, 06:55
Don't waste your time in Broome then, head to Dar-whine!

YELOSUB
24th Jan 2009, 07:11
Thanks for the advice but i have family in broome and wanna settle down there.

Skystar320
24th Jan 2009, 07:30
settle down with the family @ only 21!

YELOSUB
24th Jan 2009, 07:33
Yep i kno but thats what my plan is at the moment

Wally Mk2
24th Jan 2009, 10:45
.....................my plan is at the moment ......spoken like a true pilot:ok: & don't let ya misses hear that either, at yr age you have a few years yet to add to her wealth:E
These pages are full of advice about flying up Nth, am sure a lot will steer you in the right direction, but just in case, take a GPS:ok:

Good luck, I wish I was yr age again, hmmmm no I don't:}

Wmk2

AerocatS2A
24th Jan 2009, 11:00
Do you have a multi-IF rating? Coastwatch are a bit short on FOs in Broome I believe.

the wizard of auz
24th Jan 2009, 12:04
I believe Broome is possibly not the place for you at the moment. It has slowed up quiet a bit, and will take time to recover. Of course if your decided and can't be moved, Something will come up eventually. Just be prepared to work in other industries for a while........ even when you do get a gig, chances are you will need a second job for a while as well. Rents are high and wages low.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
24th Jan 2009, 17:17
Mate,

With 1000 TT and your sights set on SE piston you will get work in Broome. Perhaps you'll get unlucky and have to wait for a few weeks... but with >1000 hours you will get work in Broome.

I've only worked in the East Kimberley and I'm currently in Perth but I have no problem assuring you that you will get work in Broome.

Is this a wind-up?

FRQ CB

PS it may be casual but for three years now (and possibly longer but I can't say) the casual Broome folk I know have averaged about full-time.

the wizard of auz
24th Jan 2009, 17:45
PS it may be casual but for three years now (and possibly longer but I can't say) the casual Broome folk I know have averaged about full-time.

As we all did.............before the global economic downturn. has and will further effect tourism and mining work...........the majority of work you find in Broome.
you will get a start no doubt, but might not be as fast as it has been of late, or as much flying.

YELOSUB
25th Jan 2009, 02:14
Yes i have a Multi Ifr but its Expired. Also I am looking for a min 40k salary. I have 9 months scenic and charter exp in kimberley.

The Green Goblin
25th Jan 2009, 04:08
The only SE job that you will see over 40k in Broome is with Broome av on a Van, even then its casual rates.

YELOSUB
25th Jan 2009, 04:36
I kno most SE piston pilots in broome are casual but ive got 9 months scenic flight and charter exp in kimberley and i will stay with the same company for at least the whole dry season.

The Green Goblin
25th Jan 2009, 05:07
Who cares, a 150 hour CPL after 50 hours or so exposure could do the job just as well for the single engine award, which last time I looked was around the 33k mark. Most operators in Broome have a bit of a 'pecking' order so you'll start off taking the scraps with the junior guys. If they recruited you straight to the top, paid you 40k and gave you the 'choice' charters there would be a lot of noses out of joint and you would find it incredibly difficult to find someone to have a beer after work AND we all know what moaning GA pilots are like, the cancer spreads pretty fast through a company!

If you want over 40K get a C208 endo and knock on Broome avs door, or renew the ME-CIR and head to Darwin. (1000 hours will see you slot nicely into Hardy, they are taking on guys now so a little birdy tells me)

I'd also put money that the majority of that 9 months experience was Dry season flying, without a full 'wet season' or two behind you it won't mean much to an operator this time of year, it will just help out with your own flying knowing your way around.

YELOSUB
25th Jan 2009, 05:38
Thanks for ur suggestion Green Goblin. I think ur right about the moaning Ga pilots, but in aviation experience does make a big difference. a 1000hr pilot is more safe and efficient than a 250 hr. plus i am ready to commit myself for the whole of the next dry season.

AerocatS2A
25th Jan 2009, 05:52
Yes i have a Multi Ifr but its Expired. Also I am looking for a min 40k salary.
Renew it and you could be getting a bit over 70K with SAPL.

The Green Goblin
25th Jan 2009, 06:50
1000hr pilot is more safe and efficient than a 250 hr

I disagree, a 250 hour pilot is fresh with the rules and generally more prepared and conscientious. A 1000 hour pilot is sometimes a little too comfortable with their self expressed experience and often become a little cocky with weather and pushing the margins a little more than they would have previously (proved by your above sentiments)

It generally takes a good scare before they are back on track again. (which most of us have had)

If you look at most single engine fatal accidents in the charter world the pilots have varying experience between 600-1200 hours. Multi engine accidents however are usually in the first 200 hours of experience.

In regards to yourself staying for at least the dry, so will the 250 hour pilots trying to get to the magic 1000 to get a multi engine job, you already have the tonne, so in the operators eyes you won't be a sure thing no matter how noble your intentions are to begin with.

YELOSUB
25th Jan 2009, 07:01
Thanks aerostar. i have just sent in my application to sapl. I will get my Multi Ifr renewed if they ask me to.

You are partly true green goblin. But still if u look at things from the employers point o view then they would rather put their money on the more experienced.

Wally Mk2
25th Jan 2009, 09:30
Am not so sure about SA guys. remember when they did the old travelling road show stunt a little while back around Oz? Well I know of 4 guys all whom had zillions of hrs on twin turbo prop, some with jet time & ALL with lots of experience in decision making outside of the easy 'bus' jobs. Not one of them got a look in with SA. So I can only think that they want 'gringos' so they can mould them their way. I'd say the same as "urshtnme' 'cause heard a few disquieting things too about SA so ask around a lot more before blindly thinking that their little vid promo is all lovey dovey within.
Is it really around $33K for a single piston job up Broome way? If so I don't know how you guys do it, me takes me hat off to yuuuus:ok:

Wmk2

The Green Goblin
25th Jan 2009, 10:12
I'm sure though Wally that 33k is better than we you started out, there is not much "work for free" anymore. Couple of guys offered occasionally, (usually from the 9th state) but they never got anywhere!

Flying Meat Cleaver
25th Jan 2009, 10:58
Sapl won't ask you, they won't bother. Why would they when they have plenty of applicants who have current mecir's!

Somehow I don't think the next dry season is going to be very busy. No doubt a lot less fritz's coming from cash strapped Europe. Not to mention the yanks.

$40k, full time. I think you'll be lucky to get a job in these times. The 1000hrs will help though. Good luck.

FMC.

AerocatS2A
25th Jan 2009, 11:25
Sapl won't ask you, they won't bother. Why would they when they have plenty of applicants who have current mecir's!
How many of them want to live in Broome?

Hey maybe it's a long shot, but if he meets the requirements then why not try?

Flying Meat Cleaver
25th Jan 2009, 11:34
My point isn't why not have a go. Good on him for trying. My point is that he is very unlikely to get past the application stage without a current instrument rating.

As for how many want to live in Broome, must be at least half a dozen who had interviews a couple of weeks back for FO positions. They would have been the short-listed ones of course.

FMC.

AerocatS2A
25th Jan 2009, 11:44
My point isn't why not have a go. Good on him for trying. My point is that he is very unlikely to get past the application stage without a current instrument rating.
Yes he's much better off having all the boxes ticked. More than that, he will struggle with the sim stage if he's not current. On the other hand, someone who wants to stay in Broome* is gold to SAPL, so if he can get the boxes ticked and presents well at an interview then it is worth while going down that road. All of the current Broome FOs were already living and working in Broome before joining the company.

If they've had recent interviews for FOs then it's probably too late, I haven't kept myself in the loop lately.

*As opposed to someone who's just going there for the job.

aileron_69
25th Jan 2009, 22:18
The only outfit know paying 40K + up that way on a SE Piston is Golden Eagle on the 206, although thats out of Derby. They Pay the Basic Award + 10K, so around $43K-ish, up to about $54K on the Cheiftain.
A lot of people dont like it at the budgie tho...as so many posts on here show :-P

The Green Goblin
25th Jan 2009, 23:53
Golden Chook :=

Don't even get me started on the silent assassin that used to fly the bongo to the stations in the Kimberley!

YELOSUB
26th Jan 2009, 00:00
from wat ive heard , golden eagle put u on desk for few months before they let u fly.

Flying Meat Cleaver
26th Jan 2009, 00:01
Hahaha, which one!? There used to be a couple of bongos and the way the budgie goes through pilots...

FMC.

WynSock
26th Jan 2009, 04:21
wallymk2heard a few disquieting things too about SA so ask around a lot more before blindly thinking that their little vid promo is all lovey dovey within.
Could you divulge what the disquieting things might be?

The video is pretty accurate speaking from a line drivers perspective, used to work in airlines and this one of the best jobs around in my opinion. Definitely feel like you are doing something of real value, pay is not too shabby either. Good balance of work/leisure.

jrmbb
28th Jan 2009, 07:11
I have about 450 TT, with a ME-CIR under my belt. I've done about 150hrs flying a 172, mustering on a cattle station in the N.T over the last wet season. I'm looking to get some work in Broome and/or Darwin. Am I setting my sights too high? Can any one make any suggestions as to where else I should look? Cheers

Mr. Hat
28th Jan 2009, 08:30
JRMBB, No the experience you've got is good. However not everyone will crack it straight into DRW or BRM ect. What you need to do is get a list of say 10 operators that you update regularly with. Get to know them, drop them a line give them a call and when you have a spare weekend try and go shake there hand. As hard as it sounds don't quit your job until you've secured the next one.

Wally Mk2
28th Jan 2009, 21:46
'WynSock' lets just say that this is a rumor file & that going into details on a public site about the pros & cons of any business in detail would have the Mods up in arms. Put it this way if the SAPL job was that good as portrayed by the promo vid then why would anyone leave? It's not as if that place is a breeding ground for gringo's to get a few multi crew twins hrs then move onto the 'bus' jobs. It's a bit like the RFDS it's a job for life(well was once so to speak) & you would need to have a desire to work in that field, not just use them as a quick step to somewhere else. At the end of the day WynSock it's personal choice, after being to one of their road shows with lots of promises & speaking to someone whom used to work for them I'd say just as a personal opinion that's it's not for everyone or is what it's cracked up to be.
Research any job first & make a decisons on what YOU believe.:)

Wmk2

The Green Goblin
28th Jan 2009, 22:07
Hahaha, which one!? There used to be a couple of bongos and the way the budgie goes through pilots...

It was an old duck of the female variety doing the mail run.

I mean you don't use all the bull**** radio calls in the Kimberley such as you are taught in flying school (and the guys that do stop pretty quickly) else the whole CTAF is blocked by a 210 at MIP. But you do at least call 15 mile/joining and short final etc, so often she would cruise into doongan or drysdale without a single call, drysdale is pretty busy during the dry especially when you're flying tight as seems to be the Kimberely way (you soon stop this habit once leaving however) nothing more off putting when your on a tight base and a Bongo silently breezes past you on final :}

Ill have a moan again about the Broome club and excess use of the radio, 150 mile inbound calls in a 210 to MIP is a classic example!

the wizard of auz
28th Jan 2009, 22:35
I mean you don't use all the bull**** radio calls in the Kimberley such as you are taught in flying school

Bwaaaahahaha.......... wanna bet??. I used to use less calls there, simply for the fact that I couldn't get a word in sideways. ya had to love being fourth in line on the way back from Allendale and having traffic coming from all directions. I used to do a read back of the traffic as required and that was sometimes just plain silly. 12 or 14 aircraft in the 30 mile arc and all reading every one of them back as traffic......... took ages, and I had to write em all down coz there was no way I could remember all of them and then read em all back.......... even after hearing the the other 13 do it.

jrmbb
29th Jan 2009, 05:19
Thanks Mr Hat for your advice.