PDA

View Full Version : 747 APU leak check fire extinguisher

JaseAVV
24th Jan 2009, 01:20
Just wanting to do a quick survey to see if anyone has any information/opinions on what the most suitable type of fire extinguisher for use in APU leak checks on 747.

According to procedures it seems you are meant to be on a workstand beneath the APU with the doors open before you start the APU (negating the aircraft fire protection system) so you can inspect for leaks after filter changes etc.
Our procedures call for a "suitable fire extinguisher" to be at hand. From speaking to various people at my workplace it seems like this issue has never really been addressed.

I'd really appreciate any information with regard to how this check is carried out at other places around the world and what type and size extinguisher you use.

Cheers, Jason

SeldomFixit
24th Jan 2009, 04:20
Jason - one held by another whilst you watch from the safety of the ready room.

JaseAVV
26th Jan 2009, 05:51
he he ;)

yeah the general consensus with guys I speak to is that if it does catch fire they would inform the flight deck, run to and operate the ground fire handle in the rh body wheel well and then keep on going...

HAWK21M
29th Jan 2009, 14:55
Out here its 22.5kgs CO2.
regds
MEL

nitro rig driver
29th Jan 2009, 17:16
A very big red one-comes on at least 8 wheels and has 6 big chaps inside and nice flashing blue lights

gubaclagan
29th Jan 2009, 22:13
The procedure calls for an open cowling with a fire extinguisher standby at the flatbed. Authorized personnel must be in the cockpit to pull the respective ignition circuit breaker and motorize the APU, if possible with an external power hook-up, to maximum rotation while somebody monitors external fuel and oil leakage without exceeding starter limitations.:ok: