PDA

View Full Version : Multi-engine Instrument Rating

Sambal
23rd Jan 2009, 23:55
I have an USA FAA ATPL. Can anybody tell me if the Multi-engine Instrument Rating expires on a licence like this?

tony2F
24th Jan 2009, 09:23
Check the FAR/AIM but as far as i know there is no expiry on FAA but you must meet currency requirements of 6 logged instrument approaches, holding procedures and intercepting and tracking courses by the use of nav equip. but there are exceptions check part 61.57

T

Rotorhead1026
24th Jan 2009, 09:41
There is no 'multiengine instrument rating' under FAA. If you have the ATP ME (land or sea), you have an airplane category instrument rating that would apply to your SE ratings (even for private or commercial privleges).

The rating doesn't expire per se, but it can go out of currency.

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=40760189a03dfea0b501608f33820a45&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2&idno=14#14:2.0.1.1.2.1.1.35)

Scroll to 61.57 (c). Basically you can stay current by shooting six approaches plus some holding, and intercepting / tracking some type of enroute course. You can also (and if your currency has really lapsed, you may have to) take an instrument proficiency check from a CFII (or an examiner, or ...). The details can get your head spinning, but this post hits the highlights, I hope.

Oh, and it's a category rating, as I mentioned. So you can do the approaches, etc, in a single-engine airplane (as well as a simulator, etc).