PDA

View Full Version : Timber!!!

SpringHeeledJack
23rd Jan 2009, 20:35
BBC NEWS | England | Timber clear-up continues (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7847551.stm)

An everyday story of a load of wood that becomes detatched from a cargo ship in a storm and it floats here and there until it washes up in a very long and messy pile along a stretch of the UK coastline. The wood is ruined (in the sense that it cannot be commercially used again) and is littering and causing a danger where it lays.

However, officially, anyone who takes the wood away is in danger of being prosecuted..... The cargo is insured and if (officially) it is cleared up the considerable costs have to be bourn by the local council. If the costs were to be met by the insurance, then that puts up the insurance premiums for evveryone, so from my p.o.v it makes total sense to allow an army of citizens to take away the 'flotsum and jetsum', a win-win situation. Perhaps with police supervision to make sure there are no safety breaches and problem solved.

Yet the 'law' must be upheld. Any suggestions ?

regards

SHJ

G-CPTN
23rd Jan 2009, 20:50
If they released some heavy crude oil onto the beaches they could set light to it.

Lon More
23rd Jan 2009, 21:26
If they released some heavy crude oil onto the beaches they could set light to it

Barbequed seagull anyone?

gingernut
23rd Jan 2009, 21:26
Wooden't want to have to sort that one out.

Wood the insurance company pine if they twigged. And havn't special branch got enough to do.

Leaves a sour taste in the pallet.:E

RatherBeFlying
23rd Jan 2009, 21:36
Anybody who has been to Vancouver or looked out the window on an overwater approach to CYVR will most likely have seen several log booms in tow to various mills in salt water:eek:

Some may even end up in construction:eek:

BAMRA wake up
23rd Jan 2009, 21:44
If you got naughty and concealed the goods you'd run the risk of having your collar felt by Alison Kentuck, the current Receiver of Wreck. According to her it's ok to 'salvage' - then fill in the form, and wait...
Her predecessors were Sophia Exelby and Veronica Robbins - wonder what the attraction of the job is to women? One expects the Receiver to be a grey bearded retired admiral or somesuch!

SpringHeeledJack
23rd Jan 2009, 22:10
Her predecessors were Sophia Exelby and Veronica Robbins - wonder what the attraction of the job is to women? One expects the Receiver to be a grey bearded retired admiral or somesuch!

Wow, that is strange. What happened to all the old grey seadogs ?

Anybody who has been to Vancouver or looked out the window on an overwater approach to CYVR will most likely have seen several log booms in tow to various mills in salt water

The way I understand things is that whilst still a log, the wood is protected by the bark and the sap. Once sawn and not impregnated :ooh: the wood can be distorted by water and especially salty water. This (these) distortion(s) make it 'unusable' as it isn't of a certain standard anymore. That said it can be used as long as you accept that it has been soiled. A friend has a garden shed and a bit of decking that he constructed using timber from the container ship that grounded off the south coast a year or so ago and it's still standing!

regards

SHJ

Beatriz Fontana
23rd Jan 2009, 22:23
Can you imagine the chat up line... "so, whaddaya do, luv?" "I'm Receiver of Wreck." "No need to get personal!"

I'd be very surprised if there weren't more than a handful of locals on the beach in the dead of night half inching the stuff.

Loose rivets
23rd Jan 2009, 22:44
I guess you'd have to follow the rules fairly carefully while the jetsam was so high profile, but when I think of struggling home with huge beams of beautiful Teak - What that would be worth today.

I've just come across a pic of my old tree. One of the tallest Elms in England. (When I was a kid, some Gypsies lopped the top off for a tenner. Shame that.)

Anyway, when I sold the house, the bloke was hoping to make enough money from the 7 large trees to at least pay for the felling and root removal. He moaned later that the wood merchant didn't want them cos they had gown too near to the sea. 500 yards ish.

Rollingthunder
23rd Jan 2009, 22:44
There could be a really great bonfire on the beach or two.

Stick some tatties in and poke some sausages onto sticks.

BAMRA wake up
23rd Jan 2009, 23:25
There used to be and maybe still is a thriving logging industry on the north coast of treeless Iceland. Huge trees wash up after being washed into the Arctic rivers of Asia some years previously and drifting with the ice over the pole.

G-CPTN
23rd Jan 2009, 23:29
Perhaps they were the North Pole?