PDA

View Full Version : Army Dauphins at Halfpenny Green

chessman
23rd Jan 2009, 16:27
New Army Dauphins at Halfpenny Green this week carrying out training.Have images but can't work out how to upload them

206Fan
23rd Jan 2009, 17:31
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket (http://www.photobucket.com) :ok:

WylieCoyote
23rd Jan 2009, 17:45
I heard they are the property of some traditionally camera shy people, are you sure you want to put them on show?:E

chessman
23rd Jan 2009, 18:03
ZJ780

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/images/uploaded-images/2009-1/34738.jpg

ShyTorque
23rd Jan 2009, 18:17
Dauphins? There were definitely NO Dauphins anywhere, right? :suspect:

Ian Corrigible
23rd Jan 2009, 19:31
I like the location of the serial number...nicely hidden behind the vertical stabs.

Plausible deniability and all that... :E

I/C

Rotorhead412
23rd Jan 2009, 20:33
Surely they should have to post the S/N's larger than that? O wait, no, so where's the reg's then? Or being the army are they/ have they just slapped on some random number at the back where no one can see it??!

photex
23rd Jan 2009, 20:37
They were doing touch and goes at Shobdon as well this week.

Mungo5
23rd Jan 2009, 21:00
I heard they are the property of some traditionally camera shy people

Whozzat then?

DX Wombat
23rd Jan 2009, 21:57
Whozzat then? Members of HM Forces with whom only the insane, suicidal or unbelievably foolish would even think of picking a fight. :E :eek: :eek:

Bladecrack
23rd Jan 2009, 22:30
Thats the lads that only work Saturdays And Sundays...:}

spinwing
23rd Jan 2009, 22:49
Mmmmmm ....

So are they giving the Ex Argie A109 the "flick" ..... in favour of the "flying dog whistle" ?

..... a good move methinks! :ok:

switch_on_lofty
24th Jan 2009, 00:01
Sid,

Not sure if you're looking for a bite/bored/devoid of logical reasoning but your list is a bit silly.
Starter for 10: As SAR a/c they won't need a winch presumably?

Switch

parabellum
24th Jan 2009, 03:48
Back in the mid sixties when the Army rapidly expanded it's helicopter fleets complaints of noise and/or low flying were coming in from all over southern England, often with the white lettering and numbers on green background registration being quoted. The white was painted out and the registration was painted on in black! Complaints stopped almost overnight!

ericferret
24th Jan 2009, 11:48
Tyre pressures?????????

Last time I saw a SAS A109 it landed at the old Doncaster airport circa 1993.

It was painted in Alan Manns house colours (yellow black white).

They couldn't have made it more conspicious if they wanted to. It had lots of curious people wandering over to have a look.

Reason being that it had NO Registration.

On extremely close inspection the military serial was visible painted on in a virtually non contrasting colour.

Bit like a sniper wearing a ghillie suit with a strobe light on his head.

Covert it certainly was not.

Even less so when it was common knowledge that the only military A109's belonged to the SAS.

Further more dumping it right outside a busy flying club with a load of trainee helicopter pilots in residense suggests they weren't overly concerned about secrecy.

ShyTorque
24th Jan 2009, 12:12
Eric, if the last time you saw one was 1993, they must have made them less conspicuous. :p

P.S. I was within twenty five metres of one only last week.

SASless
24th Jan 2009, 12:38
Security rule commonsense....if you put it into the public view....it ain't classified! Suggesting posting photographs of an aircraft operating at a public airfield might in some way "out" some secretive group is plain silly.

If these "camera shy" folks as we call them lads and lasses....were all that camera shy they would not have been doing what they did where they did it in the daylight.

OffshoreHeli
24th Jan 2009, 13:52
Who said the helicopters are camera shy, what a load of rubbish. Everybody meaning you lot would work it out in a second. If the A109s are being replaced it's because they are really old. Jesus even I was in the military when they were around and that's over 19 years ago.

DX Wombat
24th Jan 2009, 14:16
Last time I saw a SAS A109 it landed at the old Doncaster airport circa 1993.
They do manage to keep it well camouflaged amongst other helicopters but I've seen it quite frequently and nobody gets excited about it these days, they just let the pilots get on with their job - wherever that may be. Don't forget, the best place to hide something or someone is right in the middle of similar things.

birrddog
24th Jan 2009, 14:29
When chessman posted these pic's I don't think he was aware there are some anti-aircraft types floating around these threads...

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p88/kevmusic9/pic18467.jpg

:E

rufus.t.firefly
24th Jan 2009, 14:59
Nice helicopter(s) look forward to seeing them around......

Taking pictures at airports , not usually a problem but if the airport pulls the old "private property" clause you should ideally have permission first- nobody usually bothers if you are sensible.

If you stand on a public spot i.e. road you can usually snap away at anything you want as long as you dont point it at private property without the property owners permission.

If you are taking photo's for yourself it's not usually an issue , but you should always think twice before attempting to publish something - if its a sensitive subject leave the publishing to the professionals to avoid any security issues.

If you think taking a photo of one of theses birds is dodgy - nip over to the US and try taking a photo of a biz jet parked on a ramp - total paranoia !! :ok:

Shell Management
24th Jan 2009, 15:09
You wouldn't say that if you worked for the Ford or GM Flight Departments!

EESDL
24th Jan 2009, 17:23
the paint scheme reminds me of the old MT bus scheme..............

Bravo73
24th Jan 2009, 18:12
If the A109s are being replaced it's because they are really old. Jesus even I was in the military when they were around and that's over 19 years ago.

You can say that again. They were, er, 'borrowed' off Argentina in 1982. ;)

WE992
24th Jan 2009, 18:41
Are they all painted in the same colours?

Hedski
26th Jan 2009, 19:46
Interesting that they didn't bother to paint the reg in a non-contrasting colour like on the old 109's.
Now 2 of the 109's came via the South Atlantic but the later pair were bought from the manufacturer. Would that make the latter easier to sell or does any military history demand they be Permit aircraft once disposed of?
I suppose the abundance of 109's on the market given the current financial climate won't assist offloading the things either.