PDA

View Full Version : Fatigue

mensaboy
23rd Jan 2009, 12:46
EK should take a serious look at this report.

http://news. ninemsn.com. au/national/ 732611/fatigued- pilots-putting- passengers- at-risk

Considering that EK has far less stringent FTL's, complicated and unsafe rostering practices, and quite frankly, few ENFORCED rostering rules, I suspect EK pilots are generally more fatigued than their Quantas counterparts.

Now that our days free from work are reduced, I predict an increase in fatigue related problems. These will include an increase in sick days, more Minor in-flight errors and in all probability more Major in-flight errors.

The latest vindictive and insane rules regarding manually inserted AD days, and the recent attitude change from rostering are more than just a lifestyle issue for pilots. It is a safety issue.

The report treats fatigue as seriously as alcohol and drug testing. EK treats alcohol and drugs testing seriously, so it follows that they should treat fatigue equally seriously. In reality, they do not.

The 3 major recommendations are;
1- pilots disclose amount of sleep prior to duty
2- fatigue to be reported and audited
3- training and education for managers (not likely at EK where it is needed the most)

There is no doubt in my mind that EK will do none of the above, unless forced into action by other regulators, or in the worst case scenario an accident caused by fatigue that the company is unable to cover up.

Vorsicht
24th Jan 2009, 08:30
Try this one.

Fatigued pilots 'putting passengers at risk' (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/732611/fatigued-pilots-putting-passengers-at-risk)

V

mensaboy
24th Jan 2009, 14:39
Yeah sorry, I made a typo and mispelled Quaintus. It appears to me you have a bone to pick with Qantas or Aussie aviation in general. At least the regulatory authority in OZ made the effort to look into one of the most significant contributors to accidents. AND, they came up with the right conclusions. Even so, there is no research into long term health effects of pilots flying crazy schedules.

My entire point, is that in the past, EK at least gave a reasonable number of 'OFF' days for a pilot to recover. NOW THAT IS GONE !!. EK has more ULH and long haul than Qantas, plus we go East and West at the whim of rostering. There is absolutely no regard for safety or our health. There are reasons that EK does not consider Safety and that is because they have been lucky so far to have such good pilots, and there has not been an accident attributable to fatigue. THIS WILL CHANGE. I hope i'm wrong though.

Mark my words, fatigue and discontent amongst the pilot group will signal the eventual decline of this airline. It all boils down to idiots in management. ED is a joke, with an obvious lifetime membership to the Republican party. TCAS is propping up his pension with no regard for us whatsoever. AAR.......... well what can I say there. He just does not understand our job.

Aircav
25th Jan 2009, 05:05
Rubbish what a load of dribble. Go read the FCI ( 2008-58)that talks about Days off after doing a ULR and the earliest you can then do a non ULR mentions between 5 and 7 days before you can do another ULR or 3 or 4 days before you do a non ULR and if that's not enough for you press 2 and chat with the Dr at the clinic.
Life in EK is only difficult if you wanna make it difficult so relax take a chill pill we still get paid and the Airline is making $$$$

I suggest you read the FCI again more carefully. Day1 is the day you get back to Dubai. So for example, "Day3 not before 0800" does not mean 3 days off. It means you can get back at say 0600 on Day1, the rest of that day being a rest day, the next day is Day2 being a Day Off and then on Day3 work a non ULR after 0800 (How about night MAA??? lovely). In my book that equates to a rest day + 1 Day Off. Yes different pairings have different rules but I can't find any that have the numbers you are quoting. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Keep Recovering

pool
25th Jan 2009, 09:16
EK definition of fatigue is:

When you can leave your office only after 5pm, because you had to dictate new freeday/AD rules to the completely exhausted secretary, both having begun their duty day as early as 930am.

Everything other employees do is stealing from the company.

..... and no one gives a rats a$$

Kamelchaser
26th Jan 2009, 16:45
Ima Brain...I have two back to back GRU's coming up..the ULR STBY is 3 days after getting back from the 1st GRU...then of course the actual flight is on the 4th day after getting back. Eiither your interpretation of the FCI may not be correct,...or perhaps our rostering rules are not being followed

Craic Ore
26th Jan 2009, 22:34
pool,

Don't kid yourself. AAR doesn't stay in the office past 1530 - ever!

Yep, pot calling the kettle black.

CO