PDA

View Full Version : Best ground job to gain contacts and experience

Captain_Scooby
23rd Jan 2009, 04:43
Hey all,

Similar to so many others, I'm struggling for work and was just wondering what kind of ground jobs would give the best contacts and experience. Something like Ops for an airline? Or perhaps working on the ramp at an airport? Or would a position in a small flying school be better?

What worked for others? Thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

CS

nick14
23rd Jan 2009, 09:17
I would try for an wirline job in either ops or dispatch or something similar.

The local flying club is not likely to put you in contact with anyone who could get your CV to the right person, but it doesn't hurt to show your face around there.

Thought about cabin crew?

johnnyDB
23rd Jan 2009, 09:18
...outside of the redlight-district? :-)

Sorry, but i think you already answerd your own question, i guess those would be the best options, or something at a flightschool, maybe skimm off some reduced hours.

Kestrel_Stu
23rd Jan 2009, 12:29
I guess anything in aviation will help but guys I know who've generally had success in this way are those who managed to get a job in ops, crewing or similar at head office.

That way you can get to know (and then continually pester) those who make the decisions that matter - chief pilot and the like. Good luck!

abhi88
23rd Jan 2009, 13:47
Hello everyone,

I am in a similar position to most of the low hour guys here. I have not flown for quiet sometime,unable to find any flying job. I was even turned down by a charter company in africa(I meet all their minimums except the age). So,after reading the previous posts I was wondering if it would be good idea to become cabin crew initially and then work my way into the flight deck??? Has anyone done this before? Iam pretty good looking by the way!:suspect:

jamie230985
23rd Jan 2009, 14:12
put yourself in your own shoes in 12 months time, you've incured the £50,000 - £70,000 cost of pilot training to step into a position as a member of Cabin Crew. mmm i wonder how that would feel?!

ever thought of doing a FI course and doing instructing? All indications show that airline jobs are not going to be available for around 12-18 months for low hour pilots and the back log of ex silverjet, zoom and XL pilots will need to be ploughed through first.

If you sit on your ass and expect a job to come to you you will be dissapointed plus the longer you spend out of the industry & away from the cockpit the closer you get to your IR lapsing etc...

dont go cabin crew, you will only regret it!!

roljoe
23rd Jan 2009, 16:56
Hi,

according to me, the best place to "remain in the loop" and gain positiv experience is the Ops department...iex..Ops assistant..

excrewingbod
23rd Jan 2009, 19:02
Ideally a job that will allow interaction with flight ops management, so they get to know you.

To be fair any job within an airline has the potential to open doors. I've known folks who have worked in Ops, Commercial, Ramp, Traffic, Engineering, Security, Cabin Services who have all made it as commercial pilots. A point to bear in mind - not all of them got a flying job with their employer, but through contacts they had made during their ground career.

Ops or Crewing is always a good place to start, as you'll see first hand the reality of life within an airline, warts and all.

eliasg17
23rd Jan 2009, 19:33
Dont you need like a degree to work in ops for an airline or dispatching?And what kind of training to you need for ground handling?:ok:

jetsun
23rd Jan 2009, 20:22
You could be an AFISO at a small aerodrome. Keeps you in the loop, lets you meet contacts on a daily basis and you can start flying for the operators based at the airport in question.

EIRE-PLANER
23rd Jan 2009, 20:35
Have you tried any Biz Jet handling agents, Harrods Aviation,Signature Flight Support etc Citation560 for a first job would surely suffice in our current econmic conditions.. all the best in your endeavours