PDA

View Full Version : I want to get back to my profession. Please help!

reaz
22nd Jan 2009, 14:10
My family and I were extremely excited when I received my Transport Canada ATPL.

We thought it was just a matter of time when I will again get back to cockpit. Start the profession of my love. I am saying 'getting back', because I was off from this profession for last couple of years due to migration.

Having ATPL, 3000 plus total hours, 800 PIC hours in Dash-8/100, 350 PIC hours in Cessna Grand Caravan a/c, Flight Safety Initial & recurrent training from Toronto and Wichita, Jet flying experience; I had no doubt in my mind of getting at least a First Officer job in Canadian Aviation Industry.

But the reality was different. It is almost a year I received my TC ATPL. And still I am out of my dream profession. The profession I was in for the last fifteen years.

I was professionally sound and had an incident/accident free flying career. Don't I deserve at least an interview call?
http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/images/smilies/icon_pray.gif

Westward_Bound
23rd Jan 2009, 01:00
Maybe when they hire all the Canadian born pilots they will move to the immigrants?? Not nice to say I know, but given the current situation, and our country's patriotism, maybe the people doing the hiring give priority to the Canadian guys??

That's to say if they are equal in experience.

But what do I know, I've just finished all my training (300hrs) and wont get paid to fly for a while I think.

faireydelta
23rd Jan 2009, 02:15
Try Porter and Sunwing. Both are on AVIANATION website last few days looking for pilots and you meet their requirements. Email resume to...

[email protected]
[email protected]

In my opinion, I've seen a certain bit of that "cultural bias" the other poster mentions, but not enough to seriuously hamper my own progress in Canada. And, if you do run into it, suck it up, don't let that get you down, and move on.

"Life is unfair", so said Stephen J. Hawking when asked about having such a brilliant, roaming mind trapped in a shrivelled shell of a body...that simple answer demonstrates a complex insight behind the sometimes baffling machinations of the universe,...easily applicable to "hiring commitees".

Good Luck

reaz
23rd Jan 2009, 20:59
faireydelta (http://www.pprune.org/members/103106-faireydelta)

Thanks for the Email Addresses.

I am done applying to those addresses number of times. Even didn't receive a regret letter!

They simply don't respond!

faireydelta
23rd Jan 2009, 22:00
Check your PM....

Shaikh N Hoque
23rd Jan 2009, 22:14
Try for over 3 years in Canada, even they were hiring left and right no one even call me. I have more than what they were looking for and 2009 I just give it up for good, it's no use.

tsgas
24th Jan 2009, 19:23
As always in aviation it is " not what you know but it's Who you Know" to get a break.

Obbie
25th Jan 2009, 00:52
You haven't flown for a couple of years !!!!!

You are very much not current, so your 3000 hours looks
more like 300 hours to places like Porter and Sunwing where
you are in competition with current and actively flying pilots.

You are going to have to start over, at the bottom, in a job
that is targeted for very low time pilots. This might even require
working on a outfit's ramp for a time.

No one is looking at you as a 3000 hr candidate anymore, if you
have not flown in years.

faireydelta
25th Jan 2009, 13:54
Obbie,

You may be right, recency of experience counts, but to tell a guy with 3000hrs including PIC on large Turboprop A/C he needs to go back to grovelling for work on a ramp is ridiculous, if that is even a viable avenue to an entry level job anymore.

I do suspect 3000hrs accumulated over such a long time (15 yrs) may fail to overwhelm some employers, but it is valuable experience nonetheless.

I would suggest Jazz, as they are on all the recruitment sites looking for F/Os with some very modest requirements.

Glorified Donkey
25th Jan 2009, 14:36
reaz where did you emigrate from? I think I may have an option for you but not in Toronto. Forget Toronto, the community there is small and majority of those getting hired there are from there and known around.

reaz
26th Jan 2009, 11:13
I am ready to accept any reasonable flying job offer, anywhere in Canada.

BelArgUSA
26th Jan 2009, 13:08
With the economy, the way it is going, Canada or the rest of the world...
Dont expect much in the near future, including "unreasonable offers" even...
xxx
The problem is not your 3000 hrs... that's good experience.
But you are not current, since long. So you will require initial training again.
xxx
Consider any pilot positions anywhere, worldwide.
Very few openings in Canada, or USA. Many (current) pilots are on furlough.
Good luck.
xxx
:ok:
Happy contrails

Glorified Donkey
26th Jan 2009, 14:19
Try Calm Air in Winnipeg. 3000TT with Dash 8 time might get you right seat on a Saab 340 or ATR42. Good pay, good experience.

bobrun
27th Jan 2009, 01:49
No one is looking at you as a 3000 hr candidate anymore, if you
have not flown in years.
What a load of cr...!

A good and proper airline will give the same training to all new guys/gals anyway. I've hired both actively flying pilots and some who were not, and they all went through the same training and induction program etc. From our company or training department's point of view, not having flown for awhile proved not to be a factor. Also, what makes a good pilot is not how thick is logbook is.

It`s all about attitude, personality, being able to work with the team etc. I always preferred an inexperienced bloke over a cocky experienced one.

The Canadian industry is full of that b.s. IMHO, excuse my language. Too many operators uses the wrong criterias when hiring.

Mostly Harmless
27th Jan 2009, 19:02
The Canadian industry is full of that b.s. IMHO, excuse my language. Too many operators uses the wrong criterias when hiring.

Oh how incredibly true. However, that does not change the situation.

Reaz - You are going to have to learn how the game is played here if you want to play... I don't like the game nor the rules; it took a long time to learn how it is played, but I grew tired of trying to fight the system and just gave into the whole thing. I am now successful. Since each path is different to arrive at the job you are seeking, I can't give any specific advice, just a wish of good luck. Make sure you are getting out there in person and not just mailing and telephoning the prospective employer. They like to see you have the initiative to come out and meet them in person. Good hunting.

rwm
3rd Feb 2009, 20:18
I have learned a long time ago that Canadian Aviation is very finicky. You get treated like crap for peanut money. 2 weeks holidays a year, and those two weeks you had to book in january, and when holiday time finally comes it is nothing but rain.

Look over seas. Lots of work in Africa, Asia, and even the Middle east.

Tonga
19th Feb 2009, 06:46
8 years ago, I brought my family to start a new life in this country. I had 7000 hrs on the B747 including the -400. My last job was with a major airline in Asia. For 3 years, I was knocking on the doors of airlines in Canada, including Air Canada and Westjet. Most times, I did not even get an ackowledgement. The few I got told me I had no North American experience, even though I have been flying into airports like JFK, O'hare, Lax ...etc for years. Some have ridiculous requirements such as needing 2 sponsors (pilots) in the Company to vouch for you. I finally gave up and went back to Asia. I am now flying for an airline in Shanghai. My advice to you is to do the same. You will get nowhere in Canada as an immigrant.

reaz
19th Feb 2009, 14:44
Tonga (http://www.pprune.org/members/235221-tonga)

I may need help from few friends like you who were in the same boat. If possible refer me to anybody or any operator in China so that I can get back to my profession. Any help in this regard will be appreciated and ever remembered.

Reaz

Tonga
19th Feb 2009, 21:18
The airline is Great Wall Airline, a joint venture between Singapore Airline Cargo, Temasek Holdings of Singapore and Great Wall Industries of China.
Try emailing [email protected], (Head of Fleet).
Good luck.