PDA

View Full Version : Have you got a UK driving licence?

BRL
22nd Jan 2009, 13:22
Sorry if it has been posted before....

Copied from another site:

Thousands of motorists are at risk of being fined up to 1,000 because they are unwittingly driving without a valid licence.

They risk prosecution after failing to spot the extremely small print on their photocard licence which says it automatically expires after 10 years and has to be renewed - even though drivers are licensed to drive until the age of 70. The fiasco has come to light a decade after the first batch of photo licences was issued in July 1998, just as they start to expire.

Motoring organisations blamed the Government for the fiasco and said 'most' drivers believed their licences were for life.
A mock-up driving licence from 1998 when the photocards were launched shows the imminent expiry date as item '4b' They said officials had failed to publicise sufficiently the fact that new-style licences - unlike the old paper ones - expire after a set period and have to be renewed.

To rub salt into wounds, drivers will have to pay 17.50 to renew their card - a charge which critics have condemned as a 'stealth tax' and which will earn the Treasury an estimated 437million over 25 years. Official DVLA figures reveal that while 16,136 expired this summer, so far only 11,566 drivers have renewed, leaving 4,570 outstanding. With another 300,000 photocard licences due to expire over the coming year, experts fear the number of invalid licences will soar, putting thousands more drivers in breach of the law and at risk of a fine.

At the heart of the confusion is the small print on the tiny credit-card-size photo licence, which is used in conjunction with the paper version.
4b: The small print on the back of the driving licence is easy to miss
Just below the driver name on the front of the photocard licence is a series of dates and details - each one numbered.
Number 4b features a date in tiny writing, but no explicit explanation as to what it means.
The date's significance is only explained if the driver turns over the card and reads the key on the back which states that '4b' means 'licence valid to'.

Even more confusingly, an adjacent table on the rear of the card sets out how long the driver is registered to hold a licence - that is until his or her 70th birthday. A total of 25million new-style licences have been issued but - motoring experts say - drivers were never sufficiently warned they would expire after 10 years.
The DVLA said failure to update the photocard after 10 years fell into the same category as failing to inform them of a change of address.
CHECK YOUR LICENCE EXPIRY DATE!!!

Beatriz Fontana
22nd Jan 2009, 13:53
Hate to say it, but it was made very clear with the new photocatd that it would require renewal every ten years. If the DVLA had their head screwed on, they would send out a reminder. But that would be too much of a good idea.

Seldomfitforpurpose
22nd Jan 2009, 14:07
Not a problem for us old folks who are still using their pre photo card licences :ok:

justlooking_tks
22nd Jan 2009, 14:25
Well there's a nice little earner for that Buffoon Broon. Takes ya money.:mad:

dazdaz
22nd Jan 2009, 14:42
Thanks for that info BRL. Just checked my photo licence, 4b 27-07-12 I had no idea about this renewal date. Thought I was ok until hitting 70

radeng
22nd Jan 2009, 14:47
Just typical of the control freak Labour government. Far too reminiscent of Germany in 1933/34/35. What we need is ministers' heads on pikes on London Bridge. I'm a liberal sort of guy, by the way.......

621andy
22nd Jan 2009, 14:50
Anyone know how it works with those of us without a UK address, but still driving on a UK licence?

I drive in Europe with my Uk licence and live in Germany, but I seem to recall you need a UK address when you renew it:confused:

Curious Pax
22nd Jan 2009, 14:51
According to the DVLA website they do send out a reminder 2 months befre expiry, so all a fuss about nothing, though 17.50 is a lot for a new bit of plastic. Same premise as a passport though, and a lot cheaper!

Of course those lawless folks who have neglected to tell the DVLA that they moved house in the previous 10 years won't get the reminders, so they might start moaning.

As far as not having a UK address is concerned - bit of a catch 22. I lived in The Netherlands for 3 years, so the NL authorities didn't require me to get a Dutch licence (would just have been paperwork, no re-test for EU citizens) - you only have to change your licence if you are staying for 10 or more years. Thus I kept my old address on the basis that I still owned it even if I wasn't living there. Alternative would be to use the address of a relative/friend I suppose, though probably not 100% legal.

Radeng: although this came in in 1998 given how quickly that governments move I would expect that the details had already been put in place before Labour assumed office.

ORAC
22nd Jan 2009, 15:14
Sent mine in a couple of months ago for achnage of address. Nice new one back with a validity period of 5 months. :suspect:

uffington sb
22nd Jan 2009, 15:17
Curious Pax,

Mine was due to expire in Dec and they sent me a reminder in Oct. Sent the old one off with a new photo and the dosh and got a new within the week. no probs at all.

ShyTorque
22nd Jan 2009, 19:27
http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/357420-10-year-driving-licence-renewal-yet-more-tax.html

Loose rivets
22nd Jan 2009, 20:05
Do you still need to carry your paper license to hire a car abroad? Some American rental companies would not accept the plastic without the paper one. But, this was quite a few years ago.

MadsDad
22nd Jan 2009, 20:32
Rivets, it's not just the hire companies. If stopped by the police you still have to produce the paper bit, because that's where the details of any endorsements you might have, etc. are held.

The plastic bit was an attempt to set up some sort of generally accepted photo-id (a sort of proto identity card). The reason given for the 10 year renenwal was that your appearance might have changed significantly over that time. Although I'm sure that most round here maintain the finely chisseled features and magnificent physique they had when they were 21. With none of the ravages of beer and baccy showing. And if it was for changes in appearance there are some females I know who would need a new licence every month or so, when they change their hair colour again.

Gertrude the Wombat
22nd Jan 2009, 20:35
photocard licence
Wot dat den? - not sure I've ever seen one of those.

I've just got a driving licence that lasts until I'm 70 - do other people have different things?

...just checked, you are talking about the UK ... :confused::confused::confused:

AvroLincoln
22nd Jan 2009, 20:43
Thanks for the heads up - just looked at my Swedish-issued photo driving licence which turns out to have been issued with 10 year validity. I just hope they send me a reminder in 2015, my memory's bad enough as it is!

ShyTorque
22nd Jan 2009, 20:44
I've just got a driving licence that lasts until I'm 70 - do other people have different things?

Do you mean obtained recently? The photocard licence was introduced ten years ago...read the other thread I started and just linked on this one.

I you have one of the old paper type without a photo, just keep it in good condition because they aren't issued in that format any more.

Blues&twos
22nd Jan 2009, 20:56
I knew about this when I got my driving licence changed to a plastic card 9 years ago. the paperwork that came with it did say it would need to be changed after ten years. A current photo does have benefits.....

When a 64 year ols French driver ran into the back of my car a couple of years ago he produced his original French driving licence which had a very nice pic of him aged about 20. Looked absolutely nothing like him!

BRL
22nd Jan 2009, 21:03
According to the DVLA website they do send out a reminder 2 months befre expiry, so all a fuss about nothing, though 17.50 is a lot for a new bit of plastic. Same premise as a passport though, and a lot cheaper!

Of course those lawless folks who have neglected to tell the DVLA that they moved house in the previous 10 years won't get the reminders, so they might start moaning.

On the dvla website and it does state they they will send a renewal pack out 2 monthe before your licence is due for renewal......

however ...............this has not been happening and dvla are saying it's your responsibility to apply in ample time.

ShyTorque
22nd Jan 2009, 21:10
My reminder from DVLA and renewal form is on the desk next to my computer, hence my earlier thread. They're not getting a penny out of me until the correct time comes.

Say again s l o w l y
22nd Jan 2009, 21:22
One of the major problems with this is not that people forget, but that the DVLA records department is a complete shambles. Hundreds of people have found that when their licences have been returned, they have been missing things like Motorcycle endorsements or PSV etc.

Others who have never had a Motorcyle endorsement have found them mysteriously appear.

This might be alright if the DVLA would simply just sort it out and reissue correct licences, but they don't. Many bike mags have been inundated with letters from people who have been riding for years but have now been forced to resit the licence because of DVLA muck ups. Not just the road part, but the written and hazard awareness sections and the CBT. This costs hundreds of pounds.

Nothing has been done about it and even people with signed amd witnessed copies are having their appeals rejected.

This is a monumental scandal really, that is only just starting to come to light.

Loose rivets
22nd Jan 2009, 22:06
Flippin' 'ek! Everything runs out this year. Midnight the day before. I become officially old. Happy flippin' birthday Rivets:{

If they try to take my motorcycle license away, I'll buy a bike...just because I'm that bloody-minded.:* Still want that GSX R 1000.:E

Say again s l o w l y
22nd Jan 2009, 23:03
Ooh yeah. Why not? I know someone considerably older than you who has one!

Seldomfitforpurpose
23rd Jan 2009, 01:50
Shy,

I thought you were almost as old as me but my old paper copy held together with "celiotape" is gonna last me for another goodness knows years.........:ok:

ShyTorque
23rd Jan 2009, 10:18
My paper copy's "celiotape" died and fell off ten years ago... :( :O

airship
23rd Jan 2009, 14:21
On the dvla website and it does state they they will send a renewal pack out 2 monthe before your licence is due for renewal......

however ...............this has not been happening and dvla are saying it's your responsibility to apply in ample time. In other words, the civil servants at the DVLA are merely reinforcing the premise of all governments that "You're our beeeach - when we say get down on all fours and prepare to receive incoming, just do it if you know what's good for you...?!" Of course, Gordon Brown could put an immediate stop to all of this. But maybe he simply prefers the hard-line, and taking a perverse stance reinforces HM Govt's income and his own personal gratification...cum again?! :uhoh:

Capot
23rd Jan 2009, 16:06
If you need a UK address for some kind of official document, either invent a false one, or use your UK bank branch address, omitting the name of the bank and anything hinting that you don't live there; just a normal number, street, etc.

Giving a bank address as yours was fairly standard, and perhaps still is. Forgetting to tell the DVLA it's a Bank is a momentary oversight, but not breaking any law.

There's always accommodation addresses, for a small fee.

We must beat the system wherever and whenever possible.