PDA

View Full Version : instructor rating renewal advice

on fire
22nd Jan 2009, 07:11
Hi there I’m after advice/ recommendations in relation to renewing my flight instructor rating. Im in the position where i have an expired senior G3 rating, it expired about 12 months ago. I have not instructed for approx 2-2.5 years. I have approx 1400hrs TT 120twin 600hrs instructing no cir and what i would like to do is to renew my instructor rating as i would love to work in industry again. Im wondering if it is possible to do an initial issue of a G2 rating as i would prefer this too a just renewing my G3 rating. If this is possible any recommendations as to where to d this would be great, I’m presently based in Adelaide but would be more than happy to travel as i have already inquired locally and only FTA and BHFS can undertake instructor training and I’m not impressed with either as 1 is a sausage factory and the other is run by not a very nice person. Anyway any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated
thanks tom

A37575
22nd Jan 2009, 08:54
where i have an expired senior G3

I thought a grade 3 instructor was an inexperienced instructor. How can you have a senior inexperienced instructor? Is that terminology in CAO definitions page?

tmpffisch
22nd Jan 2009, 09:09
I'll take a stab and answer that a senior G3 is one who is allowed to work without direct supervision, and send students on solos.

j3pipercub
22nd Jan 2009, 09:28
that would be correct, the unsupervised part, not sure about sending solo

j3

Maloo
22nd Jan 2009, 09:44
A senior three may send second solos.

I just had a quick look at the CAOs and it says you must have or have held a grade three plus meet the requirements listed. It does however say you need to be recommended by a CFI for a grade two. You may have to go the grade three for a while and then get recommended. I'm not too sure so if anyone else knows help me out. Because it has been about twelve months since it expired you will need to do an initial issue even if it is the grade three.

You mentioned you don't mind travelling to do this. The gold coast has some good schools for this being AWA and Air Gold Coast.

All the best,

Maloo

(http://www.casa.gov.au/download/orders/cao40/400107.pdf)

Xcel
24th Jan 2009, 03:59
Very similar position.

i have similar hours. but I hadnt instructed for about 4 years...

all i did was 2 flights with a cfi to get patter right and about a week brushing up on my briefs to get them flowing again and was a piece of piss really. felt strange flying from the right side again though but you dont forget just my t/o was retared but after that was fine.

mates rates
24th Jan 2009, 10:04
once you have held the instructor rating you only need to do a RENEWAL.There is nothing in the CAO'S about doing another initial issue.

pa60ops
25th Jan 2009, 19:32
Happy to be corrected - but I thought you could only renew the rating if it has been expired for no more than twelve months - so if it actually has been expired for over the year, then the "renewal" has be be initial issue again - think principles of learning exam etc, etc.

Eph320
25th Jan 2009, 20:14
The initial issue renewalaaplies to a CIR expired for more than 12 months.
FIR is simply a renewal at any time, (CAO 40.1.7.8(b)), typically involving briefs/knowledge/flight test.
To go from 3 to 2 requires a CFI recommendation, (CAO 40.1.7.4.2), which would most likely involve a pretest experience to assess standards.
As you move up the grades, familiarity with the CAOs & CARs becomes expected.