PDA

View Full Version : Any possibility of pay cuts in QR or otheer gulf airlines?

luck7711
22nd Jan 2009, 00:15
Well, pay was increased IMHO because of a weak US dollar compared to the Euro or sterling pounds. Also because of the increase in rent as house renting reached astronomical figures in Doha and the rise in oil prices.
Now that oil has plummeted and doha stock market as well as world markets are in trouble, do you think QR or other airlines would cut pay?
If that were to happen what would your reaction be?

Capt Krunch
22nd Jan 2009, 03:56
well, all I can say is if that happened at QA there would be lots of new grey airplanes sitting on the ramp with no where to go because there would not be many pilots around to fly them.
this is the only place that I know, during this economic turn down that people are still resigning to go to lesser or even no job.

Poisoned by compromise
Krunch

a345xxx
22nd Jan 2009, 04:27
Nothing mentioned.....so far:)

Xaxa
22nd Jan 2009, 09:10
Are you one of the low cost office lackeys, luck? IMHO, you sure sound like one. :E

What would the reaction be? Are you for real?

QTRminator
22nd Jan 2009, 10:20
Exactly what came to my mind as well.... an opinion poll on pprune from the office.:=
They are thinking about a pay cut but they are not sure if they dare.

luck7711
22nd Jan 2009, 10:29
No Xaxa, i am a pilot with a valid question. We are seeing pay cuts in other jobs so what makes a pilot job immune?
Serious replies please, no time wasters.

Another question, why are the majority of posters paranoid? it's not like Mr. Albaker has a gun in his hand waiting to shoot at you.

luck7711
22nd Jan 2009, 10:39
"Exactly what came to my mind as well.... an opinion poll on PPRuNe from the office."

I am not from any office.
Moderators please delete this thread. It seems my question offended some people.

Xaxa
22nd Jan 2009, 10:48
That was you second post ever, luck. I am sorry, but you do not sound like a concerned pilot. Especially now that you want the thread deleted. :=

six7driver
22nd Jan 2009, 11:18
luck, you are low paid suit, or something worse because no self respecting professional pilot would have ever started such a moronic thread. Good luck with your PC flight simulator flying, which is the only kind you do. I still can't believe you were shameless enough to post what can be summed as "hey pilots how do you feel about a pay cut?" How do YOU feel about a kick in the b@lls?

have a nice day at the office :mad:

six

DeweyCheatemAndHowe
23rd Jan 2009, 04:47
Before they touch my pay in EK, they better get rid of that bloody ERP first...save a s**tload of money there.

loc22550
23rd Jan 2009, 10:41
Note by:
LUCK7711: "..pay was INCREASED because of the weak U$....":\
Really..?In wich movie?
Are you Talking about the "ERP" introduced in QR last year after the Qatari riyal reached one of his lowest level!...:you must be joking...right?:uhoh:

luck7711
23rd Jan 2009, 12:11
Pay was INCREASED. You were getting 10k as a captain 5 years ago!
What part of that did you not get?

loc22550
23rd Jan 2009, 13:09
Except from the house allowance..,IMHO salary in Qr was increased anytime there was a " pilot exodus" threatening the company...not because of a weak U$....otherwise we should have had an massive increase last year,isn't it..?:bored:

luck7711
23rd Jan 2009, 14:11
Hmmm, Air New Zealand has cut pay because of world economic problems.:ugh:

http://www.pprune.org/d-g-reporting-points/358462-air-nz-pilots-face-demotion-pay-cut.html

DeweyCheatemAndHowe
23rd Jan 2009, 14:51
are you Talking about the "ERP" introduced in QR last year after the Qatari riyal reached one of his lowest level!...:you must be joking...right?

No, I am talking about the ERP in Emirates, and no I am not joking. I would expect that to be cancelled before imposing any form of pay cut. If they need to save money, they can do it there.

A300Man
23rd Jan 2009, 18:36
Ladies and Gentlemen, I believe the original posters question to be a very valid one. Perhaps not uniquely applicable to QR, but to the industry in general. As is often the case, so called salary "cuts" may not be achieved by an outright and apparent reduction in salary, but by stealth amendments to other allowances, benefits, bonuses, etc.

The Middle East is seeing a particularly difficult time just now, and it hasn't yet reached the worst part of it! Many industries (and commercial aviation is unlikely to be an exception) are seeing sudden and unanticipated cost cutting measures at the moment, and these are occurring in many ways not seen in the region historically. The notion that employers will start to cut salaries and benefits - particularly whilst supply outweighs demand for the first time in a long time - is not so much the wild idea it used to be.

Indeed, SQ, seen by many of us as an industry barometer, has announced it is cutting up to 200 flights from its current schedules, meaning that SQ aircraft disposals or longterm parking cannot be ruled out.

When the mighty SQ starts to park planes, the rest of us should sit up and take notice, because it is a sign that things are gonna get worse long before they get better.

On the infrastructure side of the business (where I am involved), there is a gradual but steady slowdown. Many of the new "runways" and "mega-terminals" planned in the region in the coming year (pioneering 2009 into early 2010) are gradually disappearing from the drawing board. Airport Operators are re-evaluating their plans significantly and going back out to re-tender some of the major packages, depsite the fact the work has already been awarded to various consultants and contractors.

The GFC has meant that there is now a major excess capacity in the construction market. Operators can now renegotiate their terminals and airstrips at far better rates than before, and are taking advantage of hungry contractors vying for work, whilst at the same time slowing the whole expansion mode quite considerably, and so the vicious circle continues......

Parked planes and salary cuts - not as unlikely as we may think, sadly. But, hopefully October 2009 should start to shed some light at the end of the tunnel.

Togalk
23rd Jan 2009, 20:47
WIND UP ALERT!! Journo would be my guess....

skyvan
24th Jan 2009, 05:32
I am not too sure about the wisdom of a paycut at the moment. Prices are rising on a weekly basis in Dubai (and I'm sure everywhere in the ME), so even a wage freeze will be an effective paycut for most.

As an FO, I do not have a whole lot of money left at the end of each month, and some months recently have seen more month than money. I don't live extravagantly, but I do have 3 kids and a wife who need feeding, clothing and entertaining, cars that need fuel, insurance,licencing and Salik, and the miriad of mundane expenses that erode the bank balance.

Within EK, especially amongst the more recent intakes, morale is already low due to the housing debacle. If pay is cut, then there will be guys leaving as soon as things improve. That will be just when the company will be starting to re-activate the grand expansion plans, and more recruitment is needed.

Will they really want to have to increase recruitment to cater for the guys they have p'ed off in the lean times? It will all depend on the ability of the managers to see beyond the nickle and dime saving now for the protection of the longterm plan.

So,IMHO, paycuts are not impossible, but unlikely. A pay freeze is a high probability.

loc22550
31st Jan 2009, 15:27
Pay Cuts...?!
AIR ARABIA has just annouced and confirmed a salary INCREASE for the crew!
Congratulation,they known how to value the hard work of the crew..!!:D:D
Good job!

Ronaldo 330
31st Jan 2009, 20:57
Airline which give F/C pax BMW 740 to drive from airplane to terminal and same airline is receiving 9 B777 and 3 A321 in year of 2009 and place order for another 140 aircrafts. In Qatar if you are young local kid you get a car : Land cruiser as gift for 18th birthday from father.
Qatar is a country with largest gas reserve in world. SO WHY WOULD WE BE WORRIED ABOUT PAY CUT ?
I did not saw housing prices going down (check gulf times )
And QR has all the money to employ B.W and pay him fortune salary and QR has money to buy new rostering system which is expensive but rubbish .
QR has money also to install cameras in CC accommodation . Qr has more security staff then any airline i know . QR is rich airline !

loc22550
1st Feb 2009, 03:25
Qr(qatar) is very rich indeed...but very reluctant when it comes to put hands into their pocket to give some bonus,or any kind of extra to the crew for their hard work compared to other airlines around.