PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have lightspeed zulus?

bin b'archin
21st Jan 2009, 21:34
Thinking of getting a new headset and it's between the bose x or the lightspeed zulus. I've tried out the bose but not the zulus. Anyone own a pair of zulus, and if so how do you rate them? (and how were they compared to the bose if you happen to have tried both?)

Cop_that
22nd Jan 2009, 06:10
Bin B'archin,

I tried both the Bose and the Lightspeeds before I brought the Zulus. I can highly recommend them. I couldn't really notice a difference in sound quality but they were much more comfortable that the Bose. I find they cover my ears completely whereas the Bose cups seemed a bit small. Bluetooth compatibilty works well if you're into that sort of thing. Comes in a nice case too.

Pete

ForkTailedDrKiller
22nd Jan 2009, 08:13
Pyro! Where are you?

Cop_that
22nd Jan 2009, 08:58
Pyro? Lost me...

flog
22nd Jan 2009, 09:17
I tried Bose and Zulu - bought the Zulu's.
Beautiful. Even in the Yak.

ksa5223
22nd Jan 2009, 10:01
+1 for the Zulu, hey anyone else that has them, ever noticed when you tilt your head or the ear seal sort of isn't 100% sealed you get a bassy pulsating noise of the anr trying to cancel out the whole cabins noise? maybe my head isn't fat enough.

bin b'archin
22nd Jan 2009, 20:17
Cheers for the opinions. It's a hard call to make when you're spending so much $, you want the very best.

I've read the previous threads but was keen for some fresh opinions, but thanks for your concerns on my inability to search

PyroTek
23rd Jan 2009, 11:22
Pyro! Where are you?Sorry Doc, Was drinking, sleeping, then at work.

I have a pair of Zulu's, I haven't been able to take them flying yet, but I have tried everything you can try with them without plugging them into an actual aircraft, and from what I see, (uh.. hear..) They are the best headset I've used. I haven't used to Bose, but the Zulu's are unbeatable IMO. I did try a pair flying from Archerfield to Kingaroy and back, very very impressive performance. That flight alone was enough to convince me to get them. The ANR keeps it real quiet, but loud enough to hear that the spinny thing in front of you is still spinning at the same speed it should. Even if your tacho stops working.

Very comfortable, I could wear them for hours, and the audio quality is astounding when i plug my iPod in.. Can't see that there'd be any difference in the aircraft which would have anything to do with the headset.
I've heard that when talking to people on the phone, they think that you are infact in an office, or somewhere quiet.

They are light as well!, and well styled! :p

Hope this helps :ok:

ksa5223
23rd Jan 2009, 11:42
I answered my first phone call today on short finals on the Zulu, the bloke couldn't believe I was landing an aeroplane at the time. :ok:

Unhinged
23rd Jan 2009, 19:35
Been using them for 6 months now; about 300 flights. Love the quiet, comfort, bluetooth & ipod input. As others have said, the phone works very well via bluetooth or wired connection. All completely brilliant.

Don't like the left-side-only microphone or the swivelling earpieces; but that's just personal preference.

Hate the loud "bassy pulsating noise" that KSA refers to. Really hate it. Horrible. Happens every flight at some point. Had them replaced under warranty just in case, but no change. It isn't enough to stop me using such a great piece of technology, but it comes very close.

inver TED
23rd Jan 2009, 22:56
Would have to agree with the previous comments,

I love them, they are quiet and comfortable although they could do with a little more padding for the top of my pointy head.

Ipod input is great for those long flights, and battery life is pretty good. (I usually get about a month or 50ish hours from a set, although this depends on Bluetooth usage.)

As mentioned I don’t like the noise you get when an ear cup lifts and the ANR goes into overdrive.

They don’t have a lot of passive noise cancelling, so if your batteries die in the middle of a flight it is pretty noisy.

The Bluetooth is excellent!!! I called my boss from them the other day and he said “where are you, you are supposed to be flying” he couldn’t believe the clarity when I told him I was 70nm away at 8000’.

Overall a great replacement for my David Clark 13.4 and not a bad price compared to the Bose

Ted

Xcel
24th Jan 2009, 03:45
berry nice...

got zulu's now after putting up with crap telex for too long.

bluetooth and ipod plugin changed my life no more boring sectors singing to myself...

mind you there are a few other headsets that have similar features...

anyway get the damn thing you will be happy... :D

Rugbyears
3rd Mar 2009, 19:20
I answered my first phone call today on short finals on the Zulu, the bloke couldn't believe I was landing an aeroplane at the time

I fear a foolish statement; I wonder why GA is developing such a poor reputation...!:mad::=

VH-XXX
3rd Mar 2009, 20:19
It can't be illegal to use a communications device whilst flying an aircraft (hence the VHF on the dash) so unlikely to be illegal to talk on your phone!

NNB
3rd Mar 2009, 20:35
I think you will find that a mobile phone is a very different kettle of fish under the telecommunications act.
But - I do stand to be "corrected"
NNB

carbon
3rd Mar 2009, 21:35
They don’t have a lot of passive noise cancelling, so if your batteries die in the middle of a flight it is pretty noisy. Overall a great replacement for my David Clark 13.4

Passive noise cancellation of Zulu's c.f 13.4's?

I am considering the said swap, though at the end of the day passive noise cancellation is what protects your ears (correct?).

ForkTailedDrKiller
3rd Mar 2009, 22:24
I answered my first phone call today on short finals on the Zulu, the bloke couldn't believe I was landing an aeroplane at the time

I fear a foolish statement

..... but operationally little different from ATC wanting to give you a non-standard missed approach clearance when you are approaching the MAP on an ILS!

Dr :8

Chuck_YeagerBomb
3rd Mar 2009, 22:30
G'day chaps,

I tried both the Bose and the Zulu's as I needed a decent ANR headset after flying 25 hrs a week in a Britten Norman Islander (possibly the best test platform for these headsets!) I found the active cancelling on the Zulu's to be much quieter, however I guess depending on your head shape the Bose seem a lot lighter and more comfortable for those long days of flying.
The bluetooth was excellent communicating with the boss if schedules had changed mid flight...I previously was unable to accomplish this in the noisy bongo. I feel the Zulu's as a whole package beat the dated Bose hands down and at the time I picked up the Zulu's for $1000, hundreds cheaper than the Bose.

I have now had the Zulu's for over a year and still going strong!

Cheers:ok:

Obidiah
3rd Mar 2009, 22:40
Zulu's for 14 months in commercial ops and faultless.

Although I don't buy Lightspeeds advertising spin that the earcups being made from the same material as SR71 gear doors (titanium) gives them superior passive noise reduction.

When the batteries go flat they are on par with Bose and completely useless, I swear they actualy incourage and propagate a certain frequency within the cups so the ANR has something to chew on and look (sound) like it's working.

As always, any comments made by Americans needs a degree of skeptical analysis.

HardCorePawn
3rd Mar 2009, 23:50
Like most ANR headsets... the passive performance of the zulu's is pretty poor...

I got a Zulu demo unit and took it on a nice 2.5 hour cross country flight. At one point I turned the ANR off to see what it was like without. The result? Let's just say that when I get my Zulu's I will be carrying spare batteries!! :\

Worse than a standard passive headset. It was like being inside a 40 gallon drum with a lawnmower... with someone beating on the outside of the drum with a crowbar! :ouch: Mind you, I was in a 152 :}

I didn't get to play with the fancy features like bluetooth or iPod connectors in the aircraft (because I don't have an iPod and I was too busy doing my solo nav to call people up for a chat), but I did try the bluetooth on the ground and it seemed to work OK...

Now if only the NZD would fix itself... I wouldnt have to pay around NZ$1800 for a pair!! :ugh:

final2land
7th Mar 2009, 00:37
Having tried DC X-11 and Bose, the Zulus were my choice. Battery life very good and I fly (instructing) in Arrows etc 5 days a week. They operate fine on rechargeables. I fly other aircraft as well and no compatability probs (unlike the X-11).
Main advantage over the Bose is comfort and strength - the ear cups are larger and envelop your ears whereas the Bose tends to squash your ears. Imo they are more sturdy.
No regrets at all and they are cheaper

Stifmeister
7th Mar 2009, 07:55
Ive had both

The Zulu wins.:ok:

Direct_to
13th Mar 2009, 02:05
Can anyone recommend a good place to purchase a pair of Zulu's in Melbourne?

Cheers :ok:

Pilotolatino
16th Mar 2009, 14:00
DCT to...Got mine from Moorabbin pilot shop. I believe they're the only authorised seller of Lightspeed in Oz. They do the service on them too.

Unusual-Attitude
17th Mar 2009, 00:30
My only critisism, the headset case...some kind of strap/handle would've been good, (the old design case had one)...shame considering the headset itself is so functional.

PyroTek
17th Mar 2009, 03:28
Yeah, the lack of handle on the case sh!ts me off at times. Especially when i have my bag full of books in one hand, my other bag/keys in the other hand, and i have to hold it under my arm!
haha.
Still doesn't detract from the headset quality.