PDA

View Full Version : The Reluctant Fundamentalist

Dan Gerous
21st Jan 2009, 20:19
This book isn't the usual fare I would read, but the blurb on the back got my attention so I bought it. I've read it twice and I cannot figure out WTF happened at the end. Anybody else read it, and know what it all means? :confused:

Whirlygig
21st Jan 2009, 21:01
I'm half way through it so please, no-one spoil the ending for me? :)

Cheers

Whirls

Beatriz Fontana
21st Jan 2009, 21:05
The Butler did it....

Seriously, it's a good book, stick with it.

Whirlygig
21st Jan 2009, 21:22
Thank you Bea, for not saying anything. I vowed not to open this thread again but, hey, you know .... :=

But I'm not going to check again :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

Seldomfitforpurpose
21st Jan 2009, 21:26
Bet she does, she's a women and the curiosity will simply overwhelm her :E

Howard Hughes
21st Jan 2009, 21:40
If anyone knows the ending (which I don't), you could always PM Whirls...;)

Buster Hyman
22nd Jan 2009, 01:57
It obviously has nothing in it regarding cross dressing then Howard??? Otherwise, you'd be fully briefed....;)

CityofFlight
22nd Jan 2009, 02:02
Bet she does, she's a women and the curiosity will simply overwhelm her

You obviously don't know women as well as you think--much less Whirls! :ok: ;)

Howard Hughes
22nd Jan 2009, 02:10
Otherwise, you'd be fully briefed...
Or should that be de-briefed?:eek:

Ogre
22nd Jan 2009, 02:14
All this talk remoinds me of two rather nasty tricks we used to play at various times, but normally on detachment. Usualy this started with a long flight somewhere on something very loud and uncomfortable like a Hercules. Everyone stocked up on reading material, and the favourite trick was to spot someone who was about one third to half the way through a thick book. Walking past you would casually comment that you'd read that book and enjoyed it, quickly followed by "Shame he dies in the end!". The reader is then left cursing, and not knowing if you are winding them up or if you've just spoilt the ending.
The second was to find someone reading a really thick book, and wait until they leave it unattended. When no-one is looking, tear the last five or six pages of the story out. They continue reading the book, only to find the climax isn't there! Part B of this is to put the pages you'd taken out the book into an envelope and post them to the reader at his place of work. When he gets back from the trip he finds the end of the story waiting for him.

Captain Stable
22nd Jan 2009, 10:57
Brilliant book. Loved it. The ending is difficult, I grant you, Dan.

I think you're supposed to make up your own mind. Who and what is this guy?

S'land
22nd Jan 2009, 14:14
If anyone knows the ending (which I don't), you could always PM Whirls..

If one were to send such a PM, would it count as an assisted suicide?

Dan Gerous
22nd Jan 2009, 21:44
I think you're supposed to make up your own mind. Who and what is this guy?

CS, the problem is they all seem to be innocent, or assassins. I usually read a wee bit in bed as it helps me sleep, and I can't help thinking there is some small detail I have missed. I'll give it another whirl and see if I can get it! Had the same problem with the Life of Pi a few years ago. Maybe I should just stick to the adventure novels and travel books I usually read.

Captain Stable
23rd Jan 2009, 09:04
There's what I see as the crux of the matter - it's not so easy telling who is a good guy and who isn't. The good guys don't wear the white hats. It's all a matter of interpretation. The world is not as GWB would have had us believe, made up of good guys and bad guys. So the answer to the book's ending is in your own interpretation.

Forkandles
23rd Jan 2009, 09:43
The good guys don't wear the white hats....

Duh, obviously.

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Nightline/ht_good_guys_061019_ssv.jpg

Beatriz Fontana
23rd Jan 2009, 16:14
On a not-too-dissimilar subject, I can highly recommend Omar Nasiri's "Inside the Jihad (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inside-Jihad-Life-Qaeda-Story/dp/0465023894/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232727137&sr=8-1)" which is about a Western spy within Al-Qaeda. I picked it up the last time I was in the US. Excellent book.